Eggs will kill you

Options
Ahhh back to the age old question and NO, it's not what came first the chicken or the egg but rather will eggs help you or kill you??? Good cholesterol or bad?? Seems like today the answer is EGGS WILL KILL YOU.

I just saw this article in a paper sitting in our office lunch-room today while I was getting my 5th glass of water and thought of you guys ;)

The most ironic thing that pops up to me is actually the fact that University of WO researchers are studying Hardees – a restaurant that’s not even in Canada but the rest of the article is Canadian focused (researchers and the Canadian egg market). Their point is brief but it is interesting.

The yolk just might be on us

One egg yolk fries up more cholesterol than some of the most larded fast foods ever sold, a new study published yesterday says.

And Canadian egg marketers are using “propaganda” in their “Get Cracking” commercials by suggesting the products are healthy, especially for people at risk of heart disease and other cardiovascular ailments, the paper’s lead author says.

“The Hardees Monster Thickburger has 210 milligrams of cholesterol and that’s more than four days of meat for what I recommend to my patients,” says Dr. David Spence, a University of Western Ontario neurologist and the paper’s lead author.

“And one large egg yolk has 275 (milligrams).”

That one yolk compares to a Hardees burger that delivers its cholesterol load in two one-third-pound beef patties, three slices of cheese and four strips of bacon, he says.

The infamous KFC Double Down, which features bacon and cheese sandwiched between two hunks of deep-fried chicken, has a mere 150 milligrams of cholesterol.

Bonnie Cohen, marketing and nutrition manager with the Egg Farmers of Canada, says it is “irresponsible” to compare eggs with junk food like the Double Down, which carries a wide variety of known nutritional hazards.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/679479--the-yolk-just-might-be-on-us

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are your friend. I take in 3 glasses a day and I stay under my cholesterol limits easily.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    omg who are these people. There are differant types of cholesterol so why the bleep do they think its ok to put them all in the same boat. I am sure this is someones opinion and not based off actual research. My favorite saying comes to mind. We all have opinions just like we all have a butholes and they all stink!!!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Common sense: Which is better for you? An unaltered egg or a huge slab of processed meat, processed cheese, processed grains, and processed special sauce???? ...ugh...
  • groucherella
    Options
    I didn't know it flip flopped so much, but I have super high cholesterol and both my cardiologist and nutritionist claim I need no more than 1 egg a week. Sometimes I abide and sometimes I don't, but whatever is going on, it's working for me. I've been off the cholesterol meds b/c we're trying to start a family so it's down to diet and exercise and my cholesterol has lowered somehow.
  • NatureRunnerGirl
    NatureRunnerGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The egg Whites counter act the yolk. It is also a different king of cholesterol. As long as you don't just eat the yolk your good!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Eggs give me the kind of gas that lingers in the air. The kind so thick you can cut it with a knife. The kind that will make children jump from a moving car. The kind that will lead to a divorce, I am sure.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are your friend. I take in 3 glasses a day and I stay under my cholesterol limits easily.

O_O

You DRINK egg whites?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Now I need to go find the study that had 2 groups of people consumed high cholesterol diets...people with and people who had normal levels. NEITHER groups showed a difference. It is genetic.
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    I have read the same report and have been looking at the effect of higher cholesterol and cholesteral intake.

Here is a small part of a report on cholesteral:

On average, the liver makes approximately 80 percent of the cholesterol needed to carry out necessary processes in the body, and the rest comes from the diet. The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) recommends that your daily consumption of cholesterol should not exceed 200 mg a day. However, the liver is capable of making all of the cholesterol needed to meet our daily requirements, so none of it really needs to come from the diet.

This can be deceiving because not only does cholesterol contribute to high cholesterol, but so do other fats, especially saturated fats and trans-fatty acids. Therefore, consuming high amounts of fats can also cause your cholesterol levels to be high. Because of this, NCEP recommends that:

I guess that moderation in anything in life is the good thing to do.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I am still eating eggs, its moderation, I dont eat them all the time, but they are a great source of protein
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I have read the same report and have been looking at the effect of higher cholesterol and cholesteral intake.

Here is a small part of a report on cholesteral:

On average, the liver makes approximately 80 percent of the cholesterol needed to carry out necessary processes in the body, and the rest comes from the diet. The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) recommends that your daily consumption of cholesterol should not exceed 200 mg a day. However, the liver is capable of making all of the cholesterol needed to meet our daily requirements, so none of it really needs to come from the diet.

This can be deceiving because not only does cholesterol contribute to high cholesterol, but so do other fats, especially saturated fats and trans-fatty acids. Therefore, consuming high amounts of fats can also cause your cholesterol levels to be high. Because of this, NCEP recommends that:

I guess that moderation in anything in life is the good thing to do.

That an interesting report since it seems everyone on MFP is convinced eating high cholesterol foods doesn't raise your body’s cholesterol level, that it’s a different type – thanks for posting.

I’m an eggbeater (cartooned eggs) person myself not because I don’t trust egg farmers but because overall it is just so much lower in fat and calories, of course also cholesterol ;)

I like how in under 5 minutes there has been almost 200 views of this topic, fun!
  • mimere
    mimere Posts: 19
    Options
    I read this while eating an egg... not cool... ;)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    My theory when I question whether or not I should be eating something is this:

Did my great-grandma eat it?

YES. She did. Eggs are a natural source of protein, and eaten in moderation, are good for you.

Did great-grandma eat processed meats? NO. Protein shakes? NO. High-fructose corn sugar? NO. Splenda? NO. Equal? NO. Regular sugar? Yes.

Maybe I won't be popular for this post, but it's how I decide what goes into my body and what doesn't. :happy:
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Eggs are important for some people like me, with severely low cholesterol. (Cholesterol is something you do need by the way. Especially if you're pregnant and want to produce a baby with a brain for example.) Only recently can you find information about the consequences of too low cholesterol on the web as with all the people on cholesterol lowering drugs--they now see the results. For grins and giggles, though, take a look at the nutritional info on "Armour pork brains with milk gravy" :sick:

(Cholest. 3500mg 1170%)
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I am still eating eggs, its moderation, I dont eat them all the time, but they are a great source of protein

That’s the important part as others have said, moderation but just in case you are sticking to whole eggs just because of the protein, eggbeaters has the same amount = 6g protein.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Eggs give me the kind of gas that lingers in the air. The kind so thick you can cut it with a knife. The kind that will make children jump from a moving car. The kind that will lead to a divorce, I am sure.

That is so disgustingly funny and even funnier that you are an attractive blond woman. I guess it’s true what they say, after kids you really do have no shame left, LOL
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Here is another article I am reading. Hope it helps.

First, one has to understand that cholesterol is not necessarily bad. Humans need it to maintain cell walls, insulate nerve fibers and produced vitamin D, among other things. Second, there are two types of cholesterol: dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol . Both are important.

Dietary cholesterol is found in certain foods, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and diary products. The second type (blood cholesterol, also called serum cholesterol) is produced in the liver and floats around in our bloodstream. Blood cholesterol is divided into two sub-categories: High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL cholesterol is considered bad because it sticks to artery walls.

What is bad, however, is the amount of LDL blood cholesterol in the body. Too much of it can cause heart problems, but scientists are now discovering that consuming food rich in dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol. At least that is what some experts believe (they are somewhat disagreeing on the matter... as usual).

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

So what does raise blood cholesterol? One of the main theories is that saturated fat does. Of the three types of fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels. It so happens that eggs contain mostly polyunsaturated fat, which can actually lower blood cholesterol if one replaces food containing saturated fat with eggs.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

That is so disgustingly funny and even funnier that you are an attractive blond woman. I guess it’s true what they say, after kids you really do have no shame left, LOL
    So attractive blondes can't have that type of humor? Weird. I learn more misinformation on this site every day.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I read the same article both last night and this morning and I still can't get over how irresponsible it is. How can this doctor honestly compare eggs to a Hardees Thickburger or the Double Down. I dont get it at all.

YES, egg yolks can be harmful to people with health issues BUT if you have health issues your doctor should be telling you all of this. No cardiologist in his/her right mind would tell someone to go out and eat all the egg yolks they want post heart attack. My brother in law had a heart attack and was told 1 egg yolk/week is fine, unlimited egg whites are fine. AND he was told to stay away from the red meat burgers and processed, deep fried chicken!

I think some people reading the article will actually think that the burger/chicken are better, healthier options.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Eggs are important for some people like me, with severely low cholesterol. (Cholesterol is something you do need by the way. Especially if you're pregnant and want to produce a baby with a brain for example.) Only recently can you find information about the consequences of too low cholesterol on the web as with all the people on cholesterol lowering drugs--they now see the results. For grins and giggles, though, take a look at the nutritional info on "Armour pork brains with milk gravy" :sick:

(Cholest. 3500mg 1170%)

Brains are so overrated, JUST KIDDING! I don't think I've ever heard of someone with too low cholesterol. Defiantly a more rare condition but I would highly doubt the solution is to eat a lot of high cholesterol foods. That’s like telling an anorexic person to live off of McDonalds; they need high fat items but healthy fats like nuts, avocados, full-fat dairy etc. That being said, eggs and seafood like shrimp are better cholesterol so once again it’s about balance and being anti-Hardees ;)