A simple answer could change a life

Options
mellyboobear
mellyboobear Posts: 117 Member
What is one tip you would recommend to someone who is having severe weight issues? Where would you tell them to begin?

Replies

• BlueeyedKelly
    Options
    Log absolutely everything!
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You WILL have bad days. As long as you resume your weight loss journey, don't go nuts worrying about them. One bad day isn't going to blow a weight loss journey, just like one day bad didn't make you overweight.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would tell them to be honest with themselves. It starts from within. And that most things in life are choices, good or bad.

Change starts with one good choice every day, and from there, they can build on that. Because the choices they are currently making aren't making them happy

thanks
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    There are so many it can be overwhelming. I would have to say portion control.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Have patience and realize that there is no quick fix. Patience and perseverance, dedication and discipline are key to success weight loss and maintenance.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No one can make you want to change, you have to want it for yourself. Find that drive within yourself :flowerforyou:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I would say forget yesterday... focus on today and forgive yourself. Move on and do what YOU know is best for you and "F" everyone wh says you CANT... because YOU know you can
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice out there. There will probably be a lot in this thread, too. But I wish someone had told me at the very beginning, that I would have the most success when I chose to focus on performance, not appearance. That was the best motivation for me, to realize that I wanted to be able to run 3 miles no problem, that I wanted to deadlift 250 lbs, that I wanted to sign up for a Zumba class and not worry about keeping up, that I felt proud that I had set a goal for push ups and accomplished it, that I could do a pull up, that I had no hesitation in accepting an invitation to go hike a mountain. I wish someone had told me to focus on what my body could DO, and how to fuel it to do those awesome things, instead of how it looked.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick only one, it would be be patient.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Although we wish it would happen overnight, it wont. Have patience and take it day by day and some days are easier than others. But with hardwork and the want to change it will happen.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Log everything.
  • smhcampbell23
    Options
    2 somethings... buy a scale... weigh your food. We don't realize how bad we overeat until we do. Stick to a portion sizes! the second thing is get moving. The hardest part is getting to the gym, or outside, once you do just move. Some days I can run a 5k and sometimes I walk the whole way. But I never stop moving. It makes a huge difference! When I started I could only WALK 30 minutes a day... 8 months later I just went for a 60 minute jog/walk on natural trails... as the weight starts coming off it becomes easier. I still have a ways to go and some days still hurt/suck/blah but I keep moving.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Don't try to "eat the elephant in one bite." Meaning, make one change at a time and get used to that before the next change. Every positive thing you do will help you.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That it's going to take time; that they have to be patient and trust in the process.
  • vindetta182
    vindetta182 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its a lifestyle change, not just a 90 day diet or workout program. Seen to many people lose weight to gain it right back
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Log absolutely everything!
    This but log it accurately. Weigh solids measure liquids
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You haven't mentioned whether the hypothetical person with severe weight issues has asked for help / is ready to change or not. It makes a pretty big difference.

If they are ready to change and want help: many helpful tips in this thread. My own contribution would be to be gentle with yourself, set achievable short-term goals based on ACTIONS YOU CONTROL (what you're going to eat, how much exercise you're going to do) and do NOT set goals based on OUTCOMES which YOU DON'T DIRECTLY CONTROL (i.e., how much weight you're going to lose, what size clothing you're going to fit into).

If they are not ready to change what you say is: NOTHING AT ALL. Boom. I just saved you both some frustration and heartache.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Consistently log everything as precisely as you can, even if you don't change what you're eating right this moment. This insight can be very helpful for any changes that need to be made.
  • mfezziwig359
    mfezziwig359 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish someone had told me at the very beginning, that I would have the most success when I chose to focus on performance, not appearance.

Amen to this. Measure success by improved stamina, strength, endurance, and energy levels. If your focus is on your appearance, you can be too easily discouraged or disappointed along the way.
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Make the choice to be better every day. It's really that easy.