A simple answer could change a life

Options

Replies

• bellasfp
    bellasfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Portion control definitely! Just learning to cut back.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just begin. The first step is usually the hardest. Whatever it is you choose to begin with… Just begin.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Log absolutely everything!
    This but log it accurately. Weigh solids measure liquids
    [/quote

Log everything, including condiments. And weigh everything as well. Great advice.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You haven't mentioned whether the hypothetical person with severe weight issues has asked for help / is ready to change or not. It makes a pretty big difference.

If they are ready to change and want help: many helpful tips in this thread. My own contribution would be to be gentle with yourself, set achievable short-term goals based on ACTIONS YOU CONTROL (what you're going to eat, how much exercise you're going to do) and do NOT set goals based on OUTCOMES which YOU DON'T DIRECTLY CONTROL (i.e., how much weight you're going to lose, what size clothing you're going to fit into).

If they are not ready to change what you say is: NOTHING AT ALL. Boom. I just saved you both some frustration and heartache.

Lots of great advice on this thread.
  • foxsylph
    foxsylph Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    *With enough time and enough pressure, you will reach your goal. Forgive yourself for mistakes.
    *Don't think about the weight loss emotionally, but rather scientifically. If you're not seeing progress, search for solutions without self judgement.
    *Do not eat too little. You will hurt your metabolism, mind or both.
    *Lift weights as a priority. Supplement with cardio.
    *Make sure to get enough protein on gym days.
    *Don't drop all your calories at once when you begin, go slow and steady and only lower calories if you reach a plateau.
    *Periodically, take a small break and eat at slightly less of a deficit.
    *Eat little and often.
    *No food is a 'bad' food in and off itself. There are spaces for treats and meals you enjoy, if they fit into your calorie allowance
    *Take photos for comparison and log your measurements.
    *Speak to a doctor, especially if you are losing more than 50 pounds.
    *Reward yourself in non-food related ways when you achieve milestones. Celebrate your successes.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    What is one tip you would recommend to someone who is having severe weight issues? Where would you tell them to begin?

- Don't lose weight for anyone but yourself. Its your body, your health.
    - Don't ever feel like a failure if you have something you 'shouldn't have'. Tomorrow is a new day.
    - Eat what you want, in moderation. Never deny yourself foods because this will end up in a binge. And it wont last long term.
    - Don't ever diet. They are only short term. Look to have a lifestyle change.
    - Exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. If you have a Wii, get Just Dance. You get to have fun and exercise at the same time.
    - Try Pilates, it helps,to tone your body.
    -Take photos during your weight loss journey. Trust me, this is very important as you wont see it when looking in a mirror. It really helped me.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options

set achievable short-term goals based on ACTIONS YOU CONTROL (what you're going to eat, how much exercise you're going to do) and do NOT set goals based on OUTCOMES which YOU DON'T DIRECTLY CONTROL (i.e., how much weight you're going to lose, what size clothing you're going to fit into).

THIS!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    explore healthy food choices and recipes that are DELICIOUS and wont make you feel deprived, instead of eating boring bland "health foods" that you dont truly enjoy. it is only sustainable if you love your food.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It would depend upon what their issues are. What are they ?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Honor your personal preference.

i.e. If you love carbs, why cut them out? If you hate running, why run?

Long term dieting is a battle regardless, so I personally don't think that fighting yourself on top of that is a great idea.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wish I would have known way back at the beginning of my eating/weight problems that there were way better methods of coping with stress, fear and loss than stuffing my face with food. Wish I would have known how great simply moving my body around more and eating less makes me feel. Wish I would have loved myself more.

So that's what I would say. Eating when sad or stressed is easy, but it's a quick fix and it makes things worse. Move! and be proud and love your beautiful self the way you are right now!
  • freebutterfly02
    freebutterfly02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That no matter how much you exercise, your portion control is what counts.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bad food.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bad food.

+100
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Realize that one messed up day doesn't mean you have to quit!!! :wink:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Get on my fitness pal...

QFT
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Honor your personal preference.

i.e. If you love carbs, why cut them out? If you hate running, why run?

Long term dieting is a battle regardless, so I personally don't think that fighting yourself on top of that is a great idea.
    I completely agree!!!! I don't run, I walk, I love fruit and carbs and have some I just try to make healthier choices every day. Last night I ate Ranch dressing with wings, I'm going to try greek yogurt next time. It's a learning process but have fun while you're doing it. Be you and do what YOU enjoy!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Find what works for YOU. Not what others tell you is "the way". Experiment if you need to, to find what YOU can do for a lifetime. If you hate zumba, don't build your exercise around zumba because everyone says it's awesome. If you want to count calories and weigh things, do that. if you want to follow a well thought out formal diet plan (South Beach, Dash...)because you want to learn how to eat healthy foods and what not, do that. Just find what will work for you. You know YOU best.

Best of luck!
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat R E A L food.

IE stop eating "low fat, sugar free" non food crap!