WTF is 'Broiling'?

Options
Shropshire1959
Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
Is that the same as 'Grilling'?.

I see a lot of foreign recipes calling to 'Broil' something ... seems it should be shoved under the grill, right? :-p

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like an upside down grilling of sorts...
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    griller element inside an oven.

we call it grilling.
  • bretweber
    bretweber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah, broiling in the US is grilling to us in the UK. Grilling to them is pretty much the same as BBQing for us :p
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    I just learned sumpin new! Didn't realise our broil was your grill.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Yeah, broiling in the US is grilling to us in the UK. Grilling to them is pretty much the same as BBQing for us :p

Ta.... 2 countries separated by a common language hey? :-)
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Which is funny, since in Alice Through the Looking-Glass, Humpty-Dumpty defines "brillig" as "four o'clock in the afternoon—the time when you begin BROILING things for dinner".

(In more distressing news, my copy seems to be missing - I had to Google up the text.)
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Which is funny, since in Alice Through the Looking-Glass, Humpty-Dumpty defines "brillig" as "four o'clock in the afternoon—the time when you begin BROILING things for dinner".

(In more distressing news, my copy seems to be missing - I had to Google up the text.)

I was just thinking this - love a bit of Alice in Wonderland...

I always thought it meant some kind of slow-cooking though, after all if you start grilling something at 4pm that would make a very early dinner! Hmmm.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Broiling in the oven is usually high heat for short periods of time. The heat is above the food (top of the inside of the oven).
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

Grilling is with a gas or charcoal grill. Think cookout.

BBQ is done with a smoker or with indirect heat on a charcoal grill - low heat and slooow cooking - mmmmm

Broiling is done in the oven - typically at 550 F
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

BBQ is done with a smoker or with indirect heat on a charcoal grill - low heat and slooow cooking - mmmmm

Broil is with heat above the food, grilling is with heat below the food and both are done fast at higher heat

ETA: yes, you can grill in your oven but it is a real pain to clean up. Broiling with a drip tray underneath is easier.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Broil is with heat above the food, grilling is with heat below the food and both are done fast at higher heat

Only your side of the pond mate.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Next up, cups, boots, and flats.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Come to the Gulf and you'll also come across "Brosted" which they believe is an English word, as in "Brosted chicken", but they shorten that to "Brosted" as in "Would you like some brosted?" - it's pronounced like "Frosted". They think it's a borrowed word from English, so expect me to understand what it is. I have no idea what language it's borrowed form (if any). I still haven't figured out exactly what it is, but it seems to be similar to fried, as in brosted chicken looks like fried chicken to me, similar to KFC.#

going back to broiling.... so let me get this straight, in the USA grilling is called broiling, and barbequing is called grilling? Okay, I think I've got that.

In British English, grilling is cooking on any kind of grill (metal thing made from a grid of thin metal bars) and heat from any source or any direction, and barbequing is grilling on an open fire.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

and dodgy, pavement, bath, jumper and lifts
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I left my flat to get my jumper out of the boot of the car, but the pavement was dodgy so I tripped and knackered my dodgy knee.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks

and that just brings this thread full circle...... because I'm going to cook some snags on the barbie.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Come to the Gulf and you'll also come across "Brosted" which they believe is an English word, as in "Brosted chicken", but they shorten that to "Brosted" as in "Would you like some brosted?" - it's pronounced like "Frosted". They think it's a borrowed word from English, so expect me to understand what it is. I have no idea what language it's borrowed form (if any). I still haven't figured out exactly what it is, but it seems to be similar to fried, as in brosted chicken looks like fried chicken to me, similar to KFC.#

going back to broiling.... so let me get this straight, in the USA grilling is called broiling, and barbequing is called grilling? Okay, I think I've got that.

In British English, grilling is cooking on any kind of grill (metal thing made from a grid of thin metal bars) and heat from any source or any direction, and barbequing is grilling on an open fire.

That's probably from American marketing. I think some box mix advertised their product as "brosted" years ago but I haven't seen it in at least a decade.

This also reminds me of the penchant in Japan to equate KFC fried chicken with Christmas. I was asked numerous times there if I was buying my fried chicken for Christmas dinner. Brilliant marketing, The Colonel even dresses in red and white.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Except in Texas, where BBQing isn't throwing a steak on the grill for 5 minutes. BBQ in Texas is slow smoking a beef brisket (or pork loin or chicken or ribs or sausage) over a low heat for several hours.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    :-)