Options

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Next up, cups, boots, and flats.

and dodgy, pavement, bath, jumper and lifts

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks

and that just brings this thread full circle...... because I'm going to cook some snags on the barbie.

I just learned another one .. apparently they call the Main Course an entrée ... amazing what you learn on MFP :-)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks

and that just brings this thread full circle...... because I'm going to cook some snags on the barbie.

I just learned another one .. apparently they call the Main Course an entrée ... amazing what you learn on MFP :-)

I blame the French
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, broiling in the US is grilling to us in the UK. Grilling to them is pretty much the same as BBQing for us :p

Except in Texas, where BBQing isn't throwing a steak on the grill for 5 minutes. BBQ in Texas is slow smoking a beef brisket (or pork loin or chicken or ribs or sausage) over a low heat for several hours.

That's BBQing all over the South.

Grilling is to put meat directly to a grill grate over the heat.

Broiling is to cook at high heat with the heating element above the food to be cooked.

BBQing is to take the angels from Heaven and give them a slab of beef or pork and wait the day it takes for them to cook it.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm from the west coast -- to me bbqing is used when you use an outdoor grill to cook your food. All the southern people I work with flip out when I mention I'n barbecuing something because I'm apparently using it 'wrong'. Typically, broiling to me is when the heating element is above in the oven and it's super hot to cook quickly but I have heard that called grilling as well (then again I have british friends and a fetish for british books so I probably grew up reading it and understanding the concep), and I use grilling and bbq interchangeably.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    I blame the French

Touché .... damn, there you go again :-p
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Come to the Gulf and you'll also come across "Brosted" which they believe is an English word, as in "Brosted chicken", but they shorten that to "Brosted" as in "Would you like some brosted?" - it's pronounced like "Frosted". They think it's a borrowed word from English, so expect me to understand what it is. I have no idea what language it's borrowed form (if any). I still haven't figured out exactly what it is, but it seems to be similar to fried, as in brosted chicken looks like fried chicken to me, similar to KFC.#

going back to broiling.... so let me get this straight, in the USA grilling is called broiling, and barbequing is called grilling? Okay, I think I've got that.

In British English, grilling is cooking on any kind of grill (metal thing made from a grid of thin metal bars) and heat from any source or any direction, and barbequing is grilling on an open fire.

That's probably from American marketing. I think some box mix advertised their product as "brosted" years ago but I haven't seen it in at least a decade.

This also reminds me of the penchant in Japan to equate KFC fried chicken with Christmas. I was asked numerous times there if I was buying my fried chicken for Christmas dinner. Brilliant marketing, The Colonel even dresses in red and white.

That's really interesting... I didn't think of it possibly coming from a brand name or similar... I was thinking of other European languages (Arabic has a lot of borrowed words from French) or whether it was a completely mangled English word like roasted.

That's an interesting association... KFC and Christmas... talking of which I haven't eaten turkey in years.... for some reason Arabs rarely eat it, other than fake bacon made from turkey (they're mostly Muslims) and some other processed meats that are basically imitation ham. You can't just buy plain turkey meat or a whole turkey here.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    then again I have British friends and a fetish for British books so I probably grew up reading it and understanding the concept...

It's NOT our only fetish, but that's a subject for another thread :-)
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    what do Americans call cooking on a griddle? i.e. a griddle pan on the hob (stove?... you know that thing with rings of gas or electricity that you put pans on) - is that grilling or something else?
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

That's really interesting... I didn't think of it possibly coming from a brand name or similar... I was thinking of other European languages (Arabic has a lot of borrowed words from French) or whether it was a completely mangled English word like roasted.

That's an interesting association... KFC and Christmas... talking of which I haven't eaten turkey in years.... for some reason Arabs rarely eat it, other than fake bacon made from turkey (they're mostly Muslims) and some other processed meats that are basically imitation ham. You can't just buy plain turkey meat or a whole turkey here.

Had to google it ...
    WHAT IS BROASTING?
    A cooking process trademarked by the Broaster Company of Beloit, Wis. in 1954. It requires the use of the Broaster, a large commercial stainless steel pressure fryer made for the restaurant industry and not available for home use. The Company-produces marinade, seasonings, coatings and condiments. Broasting is a high-pressure cooking method that is supposed to make chicken moist and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, i.e., not unlike plain fried chicken, but not as greasy, either. Broasting is not only the process of frying chickens under pressure, but includes a special marinating process, and it is NOT available to home cooks. The Broasters and the seasonings are sold only to restaurants and the food trade, so Broasted chicken is a brand name that is available to you only when you dine out. The Broasting process makes chicken that has the taste of fried chicken, but is moister and less greasy. According to the company,Broaster Chicken has "a crispy, nutty golden_brown coating,… tender and juicy deep down to the bone." The company says its pressure-fried chicken has up to 44 percent more moisture than the leading brand of "open" fried chicken, and 40 percent to 70 percent less fat and fewer calories.

So maybe a bit like some Americans deep fry Turkey?
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    To further confuse things - Britain ground floor then first floor then second, here ground floor then second. And we are not even going to mention the 13th. None of which has anything to do with cooking. Sorry!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    That's really interesting.

They usually spell and pronounce it "Brosted" though.... but yeah it must be that.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Grilling is with a gas or charcoal grill. Think cookout.

BBQ is done with a smoker or with indirect heat on a charcoal grill - low heat and slooow cooking - mmmmm

Broiling is done in the oven - typically at 550 F

Broil is with heat above the food, grilling is with heat below the food and both are done fast at higher heat

Only your side of the pond mate.

When you visit, I will make you some BBQ'ed smoked ribs and brisket...you will want to stay on this side of the pond :wink:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    what do Americans call cooking on a griddle? i.e. a griddle pan on the hob (stove?... you know that thing with rings of gas or electricity that you put pans on) - is that grilling or something else?

Cooking. Seriously. At least where I'm from.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yeah, broiling in the US is grilling to us in the UK. Grilling to them is pretty much the same as BBQing for us :p

Except in Texas, where BBQing isn't throwing a steak on the grill for 5 minutes. BBQ in Texas is slow smoking a beef brisket (or pork loin or chicken or ribs or sausage) over a low heat for several hours.

That's BBQing all over the South.

Grilling is to put meat directly to a grill grate over the heat.

Broiling is to cook at high heat with the heating element above the food to be cooked.

BBQing is to take the angels from Heaven and give them a slab of beef or pork and wait the day it takes for them to cook it.

Lol! Nice! And so accurate. ????
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Grilling is with a gas or charcoal grill. Think cookout.

BBQ is done with a smoker or with indirect heat on a charcoal grill - low heat and slooow cooking - mmmmm

Broiling is done in the oven - typically at 550 F

Broil is with heat above the food, grilling is with heat below the food and both are done fast at higher heat

Only your side of the pond mate.

When you visit, I will make you some BBQ'ed smoked ribs and brisket...you will want to stay on this side of the pond :wink:

I'm intrigued by this American thing called brisket... I will have to try it one day
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Cooking. Seriously. At least where I'm from.

Seems like I'd really like cooking where you're from. :drinker:
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

I'm intrigued by this American thing called brisket... I will have to try it one day

We have Brisket too - it's that part of the beast just above the front leg ....

BeefCutBrisket.svg
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks I

I blame the French

Except in French the entree isn't the entree it's the plat principal. Apologies for lack of accent marks on my phone.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    That drawer that is under the oven is the broiler. The flames are above the food instead of below it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Let's throw some Oz in here: budgie smuggler, thong, daks I

I blame the French

Except in French the entree isn't the entree it's the plat principal. Apologies for lack of accent marks on my phone.

Indeed. There's a bit of that in American English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrée

ETA: Just so there's no confusion, I still blame the French