Success beyond the scale: my journey to health & wellbeing

Options
13»

Replies

• dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Not just the weight loss but also the rest of your journey.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing your incredible story. Talk about "be the change you want to see" -- wonderful!
  • mandymoke
    mandymoke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational - you Rock!
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Thanks so much for sharing your story! I'm 44, and it's such a hopeful thing to see a person who is older than I am have such success and vibrancy. I have a question for you--it's about the food aspect of this. I really struggle with that part of losing weight. In particular, I really struggle with hunger, and it's hard for me to feel like I'm caring for myself when I'm hungry. But when I set my calories higher, everything takes so long. How did you approach the eating element of this?

Warm regards and congratulations!
    AbbeyDove,

I agree. It has hard to feel like you are doing good things for yourself if you feel hungry. Changing the types of foods I was eating and focusing on the distribution of macronutrients made a huge difference for me. Also...the weighing and logging was really key. I actually found that I need to eat much more vegetables than I thought when I look at the actual weight.

Increasing my protein and making sure I ate protein at each meal helped a lot. I do get hungrier quicker if I don't pay attention to the protein. It was recommended to me that I try to get a ratio of 1:1.5 for protein to carbs for each meal/snack (this was when I was in active weight loss). So I stopped eating snacks that were just carbs and started being more intentional about choosing the snacks and the combinations of food I was eating for snacks. I have also always been a vegetable eater, but the amount and variety I eat now is much higher. I really like raw vegetables, so I eat a fair amount of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet peppers, cucumbers, etc. at both lunch and dinner. I also eat fresh fruit at each meal.

Happy to chat in private message if you like...
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Your story is so inspiring, I think it shows that this journey we are on isn't just about our physical bodies, but also what is going on in our heads. I have found that so much mental healing has come as I am more and more successful in getting healthier.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Truly inspiring! :flowerforyou:
    I love it, when people are so full of spirit and not afraid of changes!
    I wish you the very best and keep up your spirit.
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Exactly 1 year ago was the day I made my commitment to a new life. I enrolled in my first "intro to kettlebells" class and my first yoga class. It wasn't until the day of my first kettlebell class that I also signed up for a community weight loss challenge. Although the classes did not start until September, I want to honor this day as the FIRST day of the rest of my new life.

UPDATES: My journey continues to unfold in amazing ways. Since I posted in June, I:
    * started a new job
    * bought a new house in a neighborhood I have loved for years; I close in less then 2 weeks
    * continue to grow in a new intimate relationship (6 months now); I continue to adore and be in awe of this amazing man who shares in both my personal and professional life [yes, we work together]
    * have tried some NEW things (e.g., 50 new things in my 50th year) including standup paddle boarding, kayaking, Thai food, and plans made for a trip to camp in teepees near Marfa, TX
    * got a new tattoo to honor this life changing journey

TatuCollage_web_zpseb391dba.jpg

I still attend kettlebell classes 4-5x per week and weekly yoga classes. I still weigh and log [almost] everything I eat. Mindfulness, meditation, and positive self-talk are still daily practices. AND, I take every opportunity to share my story with anyone who is interested.

A year ago, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I could NEVER have imagined feeling this amazing AND loving life so fully.

Today, I honor the importance of goals, commitment, tools, and support. I am grateful for this second chance to enjoy my life AND hopefully make a difference in other people's lives.
  • Lnature71
    Lnature71 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So happy for you. Your story is definitely an inspiration to me. You look great!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!