What did you eat to get heavy?

Options

Replies

• Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat that differently than I do, just ALOT MORE of it. I've always liked "healthy" food - quinoa, tofu, rice, couscous, lots of veggies, no red meat. I never ate out very often - at times only once or twice a month. I definitely ate more carbs then (I eat some now, just less), and I ate junk food at work, I have a fairly stressful job and I work evenings and its lends itself to snacking - chips, chocolate, etc.
    Mostly I'm just logging, logging, logging - not denying myself anything per se, but I know if I eat all that chocolate I won't really have many calories left for dinner, so...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It's not WHAT I ate that got me fat, it was HOW MUCH of it.
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Chips- the whole entire bag, or several bowls full
    Candy, candy and more candy. I am not a chocolate girl but I ate hot tamales, sour patch kids and starbursts... again the entire bag!!
    Eating out alot...

But I still eat those things and eat out just in smaller quantities and I move now... exercise that plays a big part in it!!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    14 years ago at my heaviest, I ate ALL the mozzarella sticks
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just a little more food than my body needed, like 50-100 calories a day. An extra cookie here. An extra apple there. A handful of nuts I didn't really need. An extra bite of something.

It just crept up on me.
  • MalNicoleParker
    MalNicoleParker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never thought I ate bad food (with the exception of chocolate and the occasional burger with friends), but I ate very frequently and without portion control. A dietician recommended I switch to eating Low GI foods every few hours because I don't process carbohydrates properly and started packing on the weight instantly! I was still eating the same meal sizes, just more of them!

I've only just started MFP and I've already noticed a huge difference. I was consuming a lot more sodium than I realised from pre-packaged soups and I've cut out a lot of processed foods. I make my own treats (crumbles, cookies, cakes, etc) so they're portion controlled and I know what's in them. I even find some chocolate brands way to sweet for me, so I tend to only eat the expensive good quality stuff that has no glucose or corn syrup. I'm now eating the same kinds of food, but better quality, and less of it.
  • angelam82
    angelam82 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and so much of it :( also too much takeaway. My husband and if had been doing lite and easy (basically all meals provided for 5 days per week). It was meant to be 1500 calories, but if I didn't like something, I would go and buy an unhealthy alternative. Instead of loosing in the last 12 months, I think I have put on up to 10kg.

We have now decided to stop with that, but use the basis of the plan to arrange our own meals. I am enjoying cooking again, however I work shift work, so the evenings when I work afternoons will be interesting.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Honestly I ate all the same stuff I do now, just a lot more of it and a lot more often.

This exactly. I still enjoy almost all the same foods, but before it was just too frequently and in portions that were too large.

I've only changed up a few things for health, not weight loss. Switching to pasta and rice with more fiber, lower sodium bacon and teriyaki sauce, etc.

Same here. I eat just as frequently and the same types of foods, just less of them. I am more focused on healthy nutritious foods now as well.

Another reason why I gained, was I just simply wasn't as active as I used to be. I am changing that up by biking to work and other places, gotten committed to swimming, and just trying to move more in general. And not have a few beers almost every night on weekends. :drinker:

Also those health/lose weight shows where they throw out all the junk. The producers buy the junk to have in the cupboards to throw out, and the deep fryers, etc
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've gained in pregnancy. I've just had my third and I logged throughout, apart from at the very end when I went overdue and was fed up! I rarely went over my calories, and I exercised. I ate my normal foods pretty much, except had a few too many sweet treats. Goes to show that what you eat does count, even if it is within calories! Of course, I might have gained anyway even if I'd lived off vegetables and rice for 9 months! I've gained in all my pregnancies.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Everything. Mostly soda. I drank so much soda it was ridiculous. I stopped drinking it exactly 3 weeks ago. Haven't had a drop. I've lost almost 7 pounds since then. I still eat pretty much everything else I did before, just less of it. Soda is the only thing I have given up because I know I just can't drink it in moderation.
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I would go out for a fattening dinner then come home and load up on snacks like candy, cheese and crackers or french bread.
    I put on 30 lbs in about 4 months
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My problem was that I could not say no and stop at any time for food. When my husband (Who does not pick up weight) ate something - I ate with him - all the time. I gained and gained - he did not. It was time to accept I do not have his metabolism - and frankly can not keep up eating like him....

Going MUCH better now - He can still eat - though all chocolate temptations have been removed - so he is feeling healthier too. Amazingly even the kids like to snack on cucumber, carrots and green peppers (yes, they eat it raw as snack)after school now, the sweet stuff made way for a healthier family.

We can now all go on family hikes, where we switched on the tv before - it is actually great to live this way!!:smile:
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good food but too big a portion - particularly potatoes
    Far too much wine - I was up to almost a bottle every day, combined with evening nibbles of chocolate and crisps when I was feeling at my worst and I felt what the heck!
    Baking cakes and bread then eating too much of it.

Fortunately very little in the way of processed or "junk" food so I have just had to cut down portions, and limit potatoes, pasta and rice to a few times a week.

The wine has stopped and is now just an occasional shared bottle at the weekend sometimes.
    Chocolate is now a couple of squares of 85% or 90% dark chocolate a few times a week.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky eater - do not like most veggies and few fruits. Just a meat and potatoes guy. I used food as a reward for working hard. I ate heavy carbs especially sweets. I would eat a big dinner when I got home and after putting the kids to bed. I would eat at 830-9 then go to bed. I would always have a sweet afternoon snack with a diet coke at work.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I ate too much food. Period. It wasn't any one thing that made me fat. It was food in general in portions that were more then my body needed.

Now I eat less food. I still have burgers, pizza, alfredo, and desserts. Just not every day and no where near the portions I used to. Instead of a huge bowl of alfredo, I will do it as a side (as I will do tonight) for a lean meat and vegetables.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Poutine. That stuff is so delicious.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Honestly I ate all the same stuff I do now, just a lot more of it and a lot more often.

highfive.gif
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My heaviest was about 400 lbs, hat tip to you, fast food. >.<
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Whatever I wanted until I was uncomfortably full.

I'm a sucker for ice cream. I could eat an entire half gallon in one sitting if I wanted to. At some point I even had it for dinner.

I can imagine what that diet looked like in the future....

2chxngm.jpg