Why so many calories in an apple?!

Options
13»

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the core of the apple. Cut off and weigh the portion you are going to eat, and report that weight. Alternatively, weigh the apple, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract.
    I eat the core.

and THIS was the post worth bumping an almost 4 year old thread for?

well I fell for it

warchortle 1
    reddy 0

:sad:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the core of the apple. Cut off and weigh the portion you are going to eat, and report that weight. Alternatively, weigh the apple, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract.
    I eat the core.

and THIS was the post worth bumping an almost 4 year old thread for?

well I fell for it

warchortle 1
    reddy 0

:sad:

Like taking candy from a baby :wink:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Y'all know this is a really old thread, right? Like 3.5 years ago...

damn.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Y'all know this is a really old thread, right? Like 3.5 years ago...

Once again reinforcing why we can't have nice things...

Still this.
  • Caitychuu
    Caitychuu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was planning on snacking on one of the apples I just bought tomorrow, and curious as to how many calories it would be, I looked it up. My apples apparently are considered "large" instead of "medium" because each is about 7.5 ounces. Calories in one large apple with skin? 110. That seems totally ridiculous to me. Aren't fruits supposed to be low in calories? And... how come when I buy prepackaged apple slices, it's only 70 calories for 14 slices?...which is much, much more than a single apple.

So, is that a wrong calorie estimate? What do you enter in your food diary for an apple?

Don't always go by calories. 110 calories from an apple is a lot better than 80 calories from a breakfast bar. It gives you your nutrients and is a natural way to keep healthy. :)
  • juu4
    juu4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us are on this forum because we ate to many apples. LOL

I might be.

I used to eat 20 apples per day because I really like eating them, and they are supposed to be healthy. In addition to a normal diet.

So now the main thing I'm cutting is apples (I still get about 5 in per day though).
  • chapeaudamelie
    Options
    I love granny Smith apples and have been munching on them 4-5 times a day. Until I looked up the calorie value of it today! 400 cal?!! Seriously? Is that even possible with fruit :(
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Apples are great value snacks, and to me, very low in calories, they have been the main key to my weight loss, Granny Apples are the best value, they are large, cheap, filling and one of the lowest calorie apples, these days I tend to overeat them, like 7-8 apples per day.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh, I never thought to do this! I love apples and have been frustrated about the relatively high calories.

Thanks for stating the obvious! :)
  • tators19
    tators19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ba ha ha ha! Love it.
  • gxxr1130
    gxxr1130 Posts: 1
    Options
    You ppl fascinate me. It reminds of this morbidly obese female who called my gf exclaiming "DID YOU KNOW THAT APPLES HAVE CALORIES!?! WTF!?!" You seem to equate calories with fat. God forbid that real food actually provides energy (calories).
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Better question, why does apple cobbler have more calories than apples?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us are on this forum because we ate to many apples. LOL

This lol. Calories aren't the enemy and to see calories as "bad" is both stupid (sorry) and dangerous
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Better question, why does apple cobbler have more calories than apples?

Even better, could someone make me an apple cobbler, please? Hmm , I probably do have most of the ingredients
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why the OP who had 1700+ posts only now cares about an apple. I got my answer... 3.5 year old post.
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would talk to God about that one.
    Besides, they were kinda caught up in that whole Adam and Eve controversy. So they can't be trusted to begin with.
    However, if you are totally set on eating apples, maybe wash it down with holy water. That would probably balance out any residual evilness AND help you flush out some of those calories if you drink enough holy water.

You're welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • kindaouttaluck
    kindaouttaluck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    110 calories is low in calories.
  • kindaouttaluck
    kindaouttaluck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You ppl fascinate me. It reminds of this morbidly obese female who called my gf exclaiming "DID YOU KNOW THAT APPLES HAVE CALORIES!?! WTF!?!" You seem to equate calories with fat. God forbid that real food actually provides energy (calories).

Right? Without calories you will die. Calories are NOT the devil.
  • ekkk1118
    ekkk1118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat the Apple! It's good for you. I just ate a 230g honey crisp apple and the calorie cost of 119 calories beats snaking on a 1oz bag of Doritos for 140 empty calories any day. Eat healthy, stay active and you really don't have anything to worry about.