How important is it to "eat clean"

Options
SarahMZxx
SarahMZxx Posts: 62 Member
Hi all,

How important is it to eat "clean"?! Surely eating a low fat sandwich of say 300 calories is better than eating a "clean" meal of double that?! Does it really matter WHAT you eat? I'm not saying i want to eat complete junk...I don't. But sometimes i eat on the go and i just grab the healthiest option which may not be considered "clean" but is lower in calories than a cleaner option...

Thanks! xxx

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    calories in vs calories out for weight loss, everything else is for general health. if you eat 500 cals of candy vs 500 cals of chicken and broccoli you would lose the same amount of weight, but the chicken and broccoli will be more filling and give you more nutrients
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I don't want any vegetables, thank you. I paid for the cow to eat them for me.
    Doug Coupland

;D
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    How important is it to eat clean to lose weight? Not at all.I am a fan of basing my diet off of fruits, vegetables, legumes, eggs, healthy fat and whatever else is probably good for me but eat frozen dinners, go out to eat at places that would make clean eaters on MFP cringe and I'm still losing weight and feeling great.

I had a bag of Doritos for dinner the other night. It was awesome. Too much sodium but otherwise awesome.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    calories in vs calories out = weightloss or gain
    macros and micros can have a large effect on your overall heath and fitness goals as well
    if weight loss is your only goal and you want to keep things simple then just worry about the calries. If you have other goals in mind then do some research on that.
  • drunkenwaltz
    drunkenwaltz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just because something is low in calories/fat doesn't mean it is inherently healthy.
  • seabirdie12
    seabirdie12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just because something is low in calories/fat doesn't mean it is inherently healthy.

This.

If you mean 300 calories of a sandwhich is "better" for you in the sense that you'll lose weight faster, that is true. Losing weight is all about calories in vs calories out. Overall health is not. You could lose weight on 1200 calories of ice cream a day. Is it healthy? No.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    How important is it to eat clean to lose weight? Not at all.I am a fan of basing my diet off of fruits, vegetables, legumes, eggs, healthy fat and whatever else is probably good for me but eat frozen dinners, go out to eat at places that would make clean eaters on MFP cringe and I'm still losing weight and feeling great.

I had a bag of Doritos for dinner the other night. It was awesome. Too much sodium but otherwise awesome.

Pretty much this.

I would say my diet is 80% "clean, healthy, blah blah" and 20% junky. I had a birthday cake shake for dinner the other night and it was everything I dreamed it would be ;-)

Honestly, I have looked at many diaries of users whose logs are like lists of whole, organic foods and all natural nutritional supplements and OFTEN those users are still obese/overweight and have a host of health problems. This causes me to lose faith in the general school of thought that healthy eating is the cure-all for everything...JMHO

Most importantly, I want a sustainable lifestyle that will allow me to keep at it comfortably for life. Not a diet. I'm going to have a donut and a gyro with grape leaves or Mexican food on Saturdays. Forever.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    For people who want to "eat clean", I'm sure it's very important.

For people who don't, I'm not sure its important at all.

Hope that answers your question.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

This.

If you mean 300 calories of a sandwhich is "better" for you in the sense that you'll lose weight faster, that is true. Losing weight is all about calories in vs calories out. Overall health is not. You could lose weight on 1200 calories of ice cream a day. Is it healthy? No.
    http://www.geekosystem.com/twinkie-diet/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is spot on.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    calories in vs calories out for weight loss, everything else is for general health. if you eat 500 cals of candy vs 500 cals of chicken and broccoli you would lose the same amount of weight, but the chicken and broccoli will be more filling and give you more nutrients

^^ this.

If it is just about weightloss you can eat anything, if you want to do something for your health it is important.
    Stef.
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

this is spot on.

Agreed^^
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Why Clean Eating is a myth:
    http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/
  • brboydjr
    brboydjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's not just the calories but the type of calories. Clean eating is only important if you choose to make it important. Sometimes when eating on the run it's very hard to do. The key is to always try and health healthy snacks readily available. I keep fruit at my office and in my car for the quick pick me up.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can eat clean and still gain weight. Its all about hitting your calorie deficit. Eating a bag of M&M's for every meal will still probably keep you under your calorie goal, but your muscles will atrophy, you will have horrible mood swings, your energy level is going to be really low, your skin and complexion will get real bad, etc. It's just going to be really hard on your body in general.

Remember skinny /= healthy. Splurging on treats is A-Ok, but there is a physical reason doctors tell you to eat your fruits and veggies.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

You're my hero!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is a meaningless term that varies from person to person. It's equally as important to diet as mxyplxtk is to nuclear fusion.

I suppose I should own my farm then. sigh...