How important is it to "eat clean"

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What would we do without a clean eating debate on page 1? The world might end..

Hey OP.. Do what you want. If you are wanting to eat clean, then befriend like minded people and run with it. if you don't then befriend like minded people and ruin with it. I've got people who follow all kinds of diets on my friend list. To each their own. the importance of the food you eat largely depends on your goals and y our body. Learn what your specific body needs to function at it's best and go with that..
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Playing a bit of devil's advocate, but just saying even it eating clean isn't clearly defined or have a universal definition it doesn't mean that the concept shouldn't be promoted. Many diets and dieting concepts are loose and depend on the implementation.

Well if the concept can't be defined - or is defined in 9000 different ways how do you promote it?

Why should it even be promoted?

Why not teach people about macros/micros and promote flexible dieting. That is basically what everyone who claims to be a "clean eater" is doing anyways. This way you remove the implied idea that there are good (clean) and bad foods, and there is no promotion of that kind of weird relationship with food.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that you personally assess your diet based in ways you can't clearly define or measure (nothing was assessing micronutrient levels for example). How is eating clean different?

Playing a bit of devil's advocate, but just saying even it eating clean isn't clearly defined or have a universal definition it doesn't mean that the concept shouldn't be promoted. Many diets and dieting concepts are loose and depend on the implementation.

Weight, body fat and tape measurements are pretty clearly defined...

As for the rest, I am not certain what you are asking...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    To me I try to eat clean. I try and keep my diet mostly fresh, close to nature, minimised processed foods.

I never use diet foods, because I don't believe they are healthy.

I love how my body, my mood, my energy feels when I have a fresh diet.

I'm not sure why we are complicating it? Am I missing something?

Only that a large segment of MFP members participating in the forums are dead set against clean eating...

Can I ask why? Just curious that's all. :-) I simply want a healthy diet

I honestly don't know. We read daily of problems in the food industry and we know the food industry is bombarding our foods with additives that either cause or have the potential to cause health problems including asthma and allergies. We know some of these additives are addictive which is why you can't eat just one chip. We are told trans fats are bad for us as well as the quantity of sugar being consumed. We are told the super sized meals at the fast food restaurants are bad for us. Yet folks don't want to change. They want their additive laden, highly processed foods full of sugar and salt, and their super sized meals AND they want to look good eating it. If you mention eating clean as in not eating the highly processed foods, they don't like it. I haven't figured it out. In fairness, if you shop in the health food section of a grocery store or even in a health food store you will find boxes of convenience foods all be it organic and higher priced BUT still heavily processed making them no better than the cheaper non-organic alternative. You have folks here who won't eat potatoes because they cause you to gain weight yet they will eat potato chips. Hmm, a whole potato vs potato chips. It doesn't take much effort to know that a whole potato is a healthier choice BUT they want those potato chips. Some of the resistance to eating healthy is a direct result of marketing but much of it is simple ignorance.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    What I TRY to follow:

Eat Lots Of Plants – Eat food that is straight from nature. (Some people say “as close to the way nature made it as possible”. But I think that leaves too much wiggle room – in my humble opinion) Eat mostly foods that are off a tree, bush, plant or vine, and you’ve pretty much got it covered. The idea is to stay away from anything that humans (food corporations) have altered in any way.

Include Meats - Eat meats that are whole and straight from the butcher. Don’t buy pre-packaged meat products because you never know what’s in them. When possible, buy whole meats and grind them yourself. You’d be surprised what’s in ground turkey meat! You can also select a few turkey breasts and ask that the butcher grind them for you. Many butchers are more than willing to accommodate.

Enjoy Grains - Eat grains that are still complete and haven’t been broken down into “glue”. Stick to brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains.(For a list of foods to stock your pantry with, check out this list.)
    Read Labels I don’t know how many breads I’ve picked up at the store that say they are whole grain. But when I take a look at the ingredient list, white flour is the second ingredient after whole wheat flour!

Eat Fewer Ingredients. Try not to purchase foods that have more than 3-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. And be sure you recognize each and every ingredient. If you find a “mystery ingredient” such as “spices”, contact the company! Ask them what they consider to be spices. If it’s anything other than honest-to-goodness herbs and spices, avoid it! And remember, if you can’t pronounce it, it probably shouldn’t go into your body.

Eat 5-6 small meals per day. This may seem like a lot at first. But remember, you are eating smaller portions. If you really have a hard time with this, prepare your regular three meals and a snack for the day, and divide lunch and dinner in half. You’ve instantly got 6 small meals!

I take clean eating several steps further than you described but appreciate you sharing what you are doing here. I gave up trying to explain clean eating and what we are doing on MFP because of the clean eating bashing :huh:
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Lots of people who don't so define try to eat mostly whole, nutrient dense foods. It's more an issue of whether eating an occasional cupcake or yogurt (processed, you know) is cheating or whether you see it as an acceptable part of an overall healthy diet. For me, the latter, for clean eaters, no, elimination is the goal. Or at least that's the only difference anyone has been able to explain that makes any sense.

I think if we all stopped labelling ourselves there wouldn't so many silly debates. Plus labels are for jars not people.

If I am out and want a cupcake I will eat one, or a little chocolate, or even ordering a pizza!

I personally want my main diet to be foods that are whole and simple.

MFP is the only place I've encountered where the issue of clean eating comes up. I eat clean, always have and said so which immediately brought out the haters. The thing is, this is the normal way we eat and have eaten for a few decades so it's nothing new, it's not some fad and I don't feel the need to justify how we eat. With respect to labeling, it is easier to say clean eating than list what you are avoiding or don't eat.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Clean eating is good if it work for you. But a Proper diet and regular exercise gives very good results.

Clean eating is a proper diet!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that you personally assess your diet based in ways you can't clearly define or measure (nothing was assessing micronutrient levels for example). How is eating clean different?

Weight, body fat and tape measurements are pretty clearly defined...

As for the rest, I am not certain what you are asking...

And you can't recognize how this is far beyond clearly defined?

Minimally processed? I do the best I can without stressing myself out...

So how do you measure if you have enough protein? Are you taking your feces to labs and having the nitrogen content measured as part of your assessment?

You're calling clean eating arbitrary yet don't have clear definitions for your own implementation. Just pointing it out...

I think, you're overthinking it...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation for me!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Pretentious people always get so mad.

I just got my bloodwork back, my numbers are amazing. BRB gonna go celebrate with a magnum.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No idea.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    This is the only way to clean...

tumblr_lqpcldWOT71qh3icjo1_500.gif

All joking aside...personally I don't think so. Just make sure you're hitting your macros. Just my opinion.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is the only way to clean...

tumblr_lqpcldWOT71qh3icjo1_500.gif

All joking aside...personally I don't think so. Just make sure you're hitting your macros. Just my opinion.

*snort* Nice :)
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, I could lose 5 lbs. binge drinking all night. And even now I have occasionally lost weight on days that I had pizza and beer. But for ME, my best results have been by having an Alkaline PH from eating "clean" mostly vegetarian. But I am middle aged now and had suffered from gout attacks for years do to an acidic PH balance. When I'm alkaline the weight drops off almost alarmingly fast. I lost 10 lbs in my first week before I even started MFP, unfortunately that weight doesn't show on my MFP ticker.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just try mindful eating and pay attention to how you FEEL after eating certain things and then you'll know what's important for you and what isn't.

Eleventy billion people say they feel "better" eliminating grains.
    I just feel hungry and cranky when I do that. So I eat grains and I feel just fine, despite the fact that according to the gospel of the internet, they aren't currently considered "clean".

When I drink liquid milk, a medium-sized nuclear war happens in my stomach, so I avoid it. Not because it isn't "clean" but because I'm lactose intolerant.

I know a lot of "clean" eaters who still drink beer, frequently. Hops gives me a migraine. I learned this by carefully paying attention to what I was eating when I got a headache, and doing some elimination trials. But I would never presume to suggest that other people eat the way I do or don't eat.

Don't worry so much about what the "rules" are. Eat stuff, write it down, pay attention to how you feel immediately, a few hours later, the next day. Recognize patterns. Adjust.

This. Smart.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, I could lose 5 lbs. binge drinking all night. And even now I have occasionally lost weight on days that I had pizza and beer. But for ME, my best results have been by having an Alkaline PH from eating "clean" mostly vegetarian. But I am middle aged now and had suffered from gout attacks for years do to an acidic PH balance. When I'm alkaline the weight drops off almost alarmingly fast. I lost 10 lbs in my first week before I even started MFP, unfortunately that weight doesn't show on my MFP ticker.

I'm really confused. All humans have alkaline Ph blood and acidic skin. If that is not true, we are having a terrible condition.