I need career advice...

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
So... 3 years ago, I was working in a different department. I had to get out. The manager is a kiss-*kitten*, and the division director is a back-stabbing snake. I applied to several positions, but the division director (desperate not to lose me as she recognized my talents and skills) had me trained under another one of her kiss-*kitten* managers so that I could get promoted and a payraise. The only problem was she kept promising me the job, but the offer never came. Then one day, an offer in another office under a different manager came. It was less money, but it was under completely new management. Suddenly, the offer for the position I trained for came down. Well, I was in a good place financially then, and I decided to take the job for less money just because I didn't want to work for her anymore.

I've been happy in my current position. I love my manager! He is amazing! But my financial situation is different now. My other source of income has gone away, and things are looking bad. I started applying to positions again. Little did I know, the position that I was trained for is apparently open again, and I got an interview. I only found out this morning who I'll be interviewing with. I still don't want to work for her. Odds are, if I smile sweetly enough, she will offer me the job again. It's only $2,000 more a year.

I am in school. I'll finish the MBA at the end of the year. I have some student loans in stipend that could get me through to the end of the year.

What would you do? Skip the interview? Go to the interview? If I get the offer, take the job or leave it? If I take the job, I can still apply for other things, but it took me years to get out from under her the first time. I do not trust her at all to look out for my best interests as her employee.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you said you want to move because of the money, which you then say is 'only $2000 more'... so is it worth the $2k?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    you said you want to move because of the money, which you then say is 'only $2000 more'... so is it worth the $2k?

Kinda what I was thinking...is $2k worth the added headache of working for her? Honestly, if it's gonna add stress, I'd say nope. Not worth it. I know financial stress can also be difficult, but if you can get by through the end of the year, might be worth it to not deal with her.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Yeah, the 2k wasn't worth it a few years ago.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would not choose money over happiness. Especially for as little as $2,000 before tax. I would cancel the interview and talk to your current manager. Perhaps a pay raise can be negotiated in your current position.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    After taxes, $2,000 isn't that much more. The only argument I'd make for it is that it may help you bump up your salary at a new position.

I've worked for horrible managers and I know that feeling of dread. You couldn't pay me enough to go back (I have a specific manager in mind).

My advice? You almost have your MBA and that should open up some doors for you. Skip the interview, keep plugging away. If money is really that tight, you can waitress for one or two nights a week and you will net the same amount, if not more, as the $2,000 raise.

As an aside, it's rare that anyone is really going to look out for your best interest as an employee. If it happens, great. But, in reality, you just need to look out for yourself and network beyond your department, direct managers, etc. to get the exposure you need with a number of people to move up. Never give one person that much control over your path. Always have something they need in your back pocket.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go backwards ...... even for more money ..... just saying :drinker:

Good luck !
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    go to the interview to hone in on your interviewing skills but if offered the job, refuse it. $2,000 / year is NOT worth the move! IMHO
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think you already know your answer and you just need to go with it and not look back. Follow your gut instinct and you will be okay!
    BTW....thanks for posting this, this morning. Best wishes to you!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Happiness versus an extra $1.00/hour(minus taxes)....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No. It's not worth it. Stay in a place where you can be your best self. Get your MBA. This is the dark before the dawn. You are almost there. GOOD FOR YOU!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As an aside, it's rare that anyone is really going to look out for your best interest as an employee. If it happens, great. But, in reality, you just need to look out for yourself and network beyond your department, direct managers, etc. to get the exposure you need with a number of people to move up. Never give one person that much control over your path. Always have something they need in your back pocket.

QFT. I learned this several years ago the hard way. Thought my manager was looking out for me as we talked about my career goals a few times and I foolishly thought she'd make sure I was bumped in title/pay wise when the time came. Not so much. That kind of stuff can snowball too. Won't go into details but I could've been supervisor by now if I'd been more assertive.

OP, sounds like you've already figured out that the slight salary increase wouldn't be worth it. In my estimation, after taxes, that'd be like 50 cents per hour. Definitely not worth the added stress. Let them know you gave it some throught and changed your mind and apologize for the inconvenience...something like that. And seriously think about talking to your curent manager about a raise and/or next steps.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone stuck in a job that doesn't pay enough and also so close to graduating (I get my associates next year), I say stick with where you are now. There will be more opportunities for you once you graduate.

Another option... does your school have a career services program? I would reach out to them and see what they have for openings.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Okay... so we all agree it's not worth it.

But what do I do about this interview? I obviously haven't burned my bridge with her, and as little trust as I have in her, I don't want to burn any bridges.

Should I cancel the interview? Should I go and just not put in 100% effort? Or should I go, show her what she's missing, and then turn her down when/if she gives me the offer?

I wouldn't be communicating with her directly except for in the interview. I'm really worried about how she would take "burning" her twice on the same opportunity.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Agreed. My current manager is a rarity which is why my only motivation to leave is money!
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

But what do I do about this interview? I obviously haven't burned my bridge with her, and as little trust as I have in her, I don't want to burn any bridges.

Should I cancel the interview? Should I go and just not put in 100% effort? Or should I go, show her what she's missing, and then turn her down when/if she gives me the offer?

I wouldn't be communicating with her directly except for in the interview. I'm really worried about how she would take "burning" her twice on the same opportunity.

Apologize and cancel the interview. Don't waste her time. If you get an offer and don't accept it, she may need to start the whole hiring process over, looking for new candidates. It's best that she focus on other people from the start if you are 100% sure you don't want it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i would go for the interview, its really good experience... but then if you have to turn it down make sure you speak to her in person to tell her why (obviously making up a reason other than she is a ***** troll from hell) that way you arent 'burning' her.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I think you can back out of the interview without burning a bridge. It's really worse to waste someone's time.

I would say, "Thank you so much for the opportunity to interview for this position. I gave it great consideration as I know I'm trained to do the work and the work is interesting. That said, as you may know, I'm in the home stretch for finishing my MBA and need to maintain my focus. So, while I enjoy working with you and would certainly love to be considered for this position in the future, it's in my best interest to stay put for the next few months."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Also, thank you for all the replies and suggestions. At present, I work for state government. No one has had raises in 8 years and asking my manager for one is an exercise in futility as he can't even get one himself. I want to stay with the state because of seniority and loan forgiveness so I won't be leaving either. It's just a matter of moving around within my own agency or working for another agency.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I agree, the money isn't worth the stress you already feel.

And I think you should still do the interview 100% to keep yourself "practiced" and with the option of turning down the offer.

You should also always be interviewing if you plan to get out :)