Replies

• momtoeric
    momtoeric Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bummp
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    No, I was just asking cause clearily I'm doing it wrong :) most of the machines at my gym are for arms anyway

Your first mistake is relying on machines. Machines don't engage your core like compound movements using a barbell. That's what you're doing wrong.

machines aren't that bad. they are designed with a purpose if used correctly. I have seen so many success stories of people who survived “livefit", a program primarily using gym machines.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Look at Stronglifts 5x5 and Simple Strength as good starting points. You can watch the two full Stronglifts workouts on YouTube. Progressive heavy lifting is a very efficient way to get great results in a fairly nominal time commitment in the gym.

Thank you for sharing this! Call me a pansy but I have always been intimidated by the weight room. :embarassed: As soon as I can get the gaggle of guys out of the way I should jump to the squat rack and take my turn.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Look at Stronglifts 5x5 and Simple Strength as good starting points. You can watch the two full Stronglifts workouts on YouTube. Progressive heavy lifting is a very efficient way to get great results in a fairly nominal time commitment in the gym.

Thank you for sharing this! Call me a pansy but I have always been intimidated by the weight room. :embarassed: As soon as I can get the gaggle of guys out of the way I should jump to the squat rack and take my turn.

I think most women feel this way in the beginning. I definitely did! I had a really good PT for awhile to show me the ropes so I didn't have to walk over there blind.

These feelings will fade though over time. I used to always be concerned with guys judging my form and thinking "she's obviously a newb" and whatnot. I am not bothered with these thoughts anymore.
  • GreenEyedTrailMonster
    GreenEyedTrailMonster Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cool results girl :)

Of course as an aside, weight lifting does very little for your cardiovascular health unless you tempo lift. I think there is a place for both activities. Lifting obvious increases strength and is very good for the ego (which is important particularly in women) but whilst your muscles will grow and strength increase, unless you are matching all that gym work with running/CV exercise, then your heart will not be improved by weightlifting.

The two types of exercise are fundamentally different and form different purposes. Like I said there is reason to do both but it is important that you are taking part in cardiovascular activity. I used to run to the gym, strength lift session and run home. I don't lift currently because I felt a decline in my CV fitness and with limited time, it was more important for me to use that time running.

Weightlifting is fundamentally about appearance but has great psychological effects particularly for women (it is very empowering) and running is about fundamentally about health and fitness. This does mean that it doesn't necessarily provide you with a sculpted appearance but for me the decision was about feeling that heart fitness which I love so much.

There is sometimes a blurring on the conversations on this site about about what is health and appearance. The two are quite separate :)

Glad that you are happier though :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    haha.
    Cool results girl :)

Of course as an aside, weight lifting does very little for your cardiovascular health unless you tempo lift. I think there is a place for both activities.

OP's post isn't about doing only one. False argument there.
    Lifting obvious increases strength and is very good for the ego (which is important particularly in women) but whilst your muscles will grow and strength increase, unless you are matching all that gym work with running/CV exercise, then your heart will not be improved by weightlifting.
    You need to go there?
    Weightlifting is fundamentally about appearance but has great psychological effects particularly for women (it is very empowering) and running is about fundamentally about health and fitness.
    Fundamentally wrong - you are confusing weight lifting and body building. WL is about strength and muscular capacity - every dedicated athlete includes some for strength, power and endurance.

(and you went there again. )
    There is sometimes a blurring on the conversations on this site about about what is health and appearance. The two are quite separate :)

Your health goals might not match someone else's / as someone that has long term tri-athlete goals I would never exclude weight lifting - and yet you do. You are blurring your goals about your health with what might not be the goals of others ...

Simply increasing lbm is one healthy goal.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thing is -you run for a healthy heart - and you do weights for healthy muscles - you should be doing a bit of both =)

You look great!
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    Thing is -you run for a healthy heart - and you do weights for healthy muscles - you should be doing a bit of both =)

You look great!

Thank you. :)

With all due respect, you do not need to run. I don't know why but people seem to think running is the only way to get cardiovascular exercise. It isn't.

Before each lifting session, I spend 10 minutes walking on the treadmill at a high incline and steady speed. I do HIIT once a week that heavily involves the row machine. I go on occassional hikes. I go on walks, not including all the walking I do when I take public transportation and walking all over campus with a heavy backpack on my back.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options

You look great!

Thank you. :)

With all due respect, you do not need to run. I don't know why but people seem to think running is the only way to get cardiovascular exercise. It isn't.

Before each lifting session, I spend 10 minutes walking on the treadmill at a high incline and steady speed. I do HIIT once a week that heavily involves the row machine. I go on occassional hikes. I go on walks, not including all the walking I do when I take public transportation and walking all over campus with a heavy backpack on my back.

AGREED! I don't know if you guys know who Jen Sinkler is , but she has a great shirt that reads- Q- What do you do for Cardio?
    A- I lift weights FASTER!

I must get that shirt.

I do kettlebell sport which requires ALOT of endurance. I lifted the kettlebell for 10 straight minutes without putting it down, one hand switch. IT never leaves my hand. That's my conditioning. I havent run for over 2 years since doing kb work. I pair it with heavy barbell work and it's a great workout.

Alot of people will tell me I need to run too..and then they try KB Sport..and realize,,its not necessary. There are different ways to do cardio and get your conditioning on...running is but one option.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No, I was just asking cause clearily I'm doing it wrong :) most of the machines at my gym are for arms anyway

I still leave the gym and think I didn't do anything today because I am not dripping of sweat from running on hour on machines. But trust me you can see major results with lifting.

Totally feel this way too sometimes! On leg day after squats and lunges and such I am sweating but I am not dripping sweat like I would be after a spin class for example. On other days I am hardly sweating at all and I feel like I didn't do anything - however the next day when I can't even hold up my hair dryer to blow dry my hair, I get a very different picture.

You look amazing and I am so glad to see this progress - especially when so many women think they will just bulk right up. Congrats!!!!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I need to get my head around this.

Currently doing 5 hours a week intense cardio and minimal weights/core training.

I've lost a fair bit of weight and not a million aways from my goal - but I still feel bullky and squishy and like I take up too much room for what I weigh.

All the lifting ladies I've seen are lean and compact - which maybe I should switch my goal to instead of number on the scales.

I feel like half the battle of this is the head-f**k I'm going through - eat more than I have in the last AGES and still be compact? WAIT WHAAAAAAT?!!

One day. Goals.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options

Currently doing 5 hours a week intense cardio and minimal weights/core training.

I've lost a fair bit of weight and not a million aways from my goal - but I still feel bullky and squishy and like I take up too much room for what I weigh.

All the lifting ladies I've seen are lean and compact - which maybe I should switch my goal to instead of number on the scales.

I feel like half the battle of this is the head-f**k I'm going through - eat more than I have in the last AGES and still be compact? WAIT WHAAAAAAT?!!

One day. Goals.

In the grand scheme of things, I find scale weight to be an incredibly trivial piece of data.

I mean, honestly, I had to tell myself - who gives a crap if I weigh more on the scale? If I look hotter than that's all I care about, LOL.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

One day. Goals.

Although many say lifting makes you lean - and it does - I like to say it makes you solid. For what I weigh, I don't look like I weigh that much but my significant other (who is 6'5 and VERY strong) knows that you can't move me . . . I am SOLID . . . not solid muscle like I would like, but just solid. So cardio will help you lose weight provided you're at a deficit but muscles - muscles burn calories even at rest so by building muscle it's helping to maintain long term. Therefore when your LBM increases, you can have a higher caloric goal because you're BMR has increased and you're expending more energy just by breathing essentially. You won't lose as fast but you'll find it's easier to maintain because when just doing cardio, you can't possibly increase your work out enough to sustain over the long term. I look at it like cardio is good for today, lifting will never expire.

Your body will become solid by lifting, same weight (maybe) but your body composition will change! Good luck . . . and it is very addictive!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

One day. Goals.

In the grand scheme of things, I find scale weight to be an incredibly trivial piece of data.

I mean, honestly, I had to tell myself - who gives a crap if I weigh more on the scale? If I look hotter than that's all I care about, LOL.

Scale weight has always been an annoyance in my life because my look does match the scale number.

I tried to ditch it since I started lifting but haven't been able to do so, especially seeing those thin women who can do both: lifting weight while losing weight...I am so jealous...
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Kudos on your results!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Awesome job.
  • naturallee_me
    naturallee_me Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    \m/ \m/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!