do you leave your diary open?

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My diary has been open from day one and my notes are boring. I don't put anything on the internet I would not want anyone to know about.
    I eat a 1200 calorie diet due to age and extreme shortness ( and in something like 450 days have never had a cheat meal or day, which some people seem to think is a lie ) and only eat seasonal and local food, which means from season to season I eat a lot of the same stuff. If people are curious and want to know , I'll answer questions and if people make crass and disrespectful remarks, I ignore them
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I'm perfectly fine with what and how I eat and I don't need feedback on it. If that changed, I'd open it and ask for opinions, but right now if someone wants to know what I eat they can ask, but I think having it open is somewhat of an invitation to look at it, and while I don't have anything to hide, I also have no reason to say "Hey, look at my diary!". I track for me.

I do find it odd when someone people won't friend people unless they have an open diary. You can support people without knowing the minutiae of what they eat. To me saying you won't support someone unless you can see what they eat every day is like saying on a pregnancy forum that you won't support someone trying to conceive unless you can see their basal body temp every morning :ohwell: I get that some people have ED's and the like but I choose to give the benefit of the doubt.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    mine is open. it has been since day one. i have nothing to hide. i refuse to feel guilty about my food choices. if someone wants to hassle me for what i eat then they are wasting their time considering i must be doing something right..
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I believe it's closed. I also use the food notes for my own notes about food, exercise, personal appts, whatever.

I might open it in the future, but to be honest, I've seen at least 2 people on the forums in my short time here use other people's diaries as a way to score points against them during some unrelated arguments.

That kind of thing doesn't make me feel open to the idea of being open.
    I've seen this too. There was a lady who kept calling another lady "Fruit loop eater" It was so stupid. I might add the "fruit loop eater" had met her goal and was drop dead gorgeous. Mine's open to friends.

That happens fairly often on the forums which is one good reason to keep your diary private.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. Most of the time it is a good day and once in awhile a bad one, but it is always honest, open and real. I like the accountability and most of my friends are the same way.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Open to the world, and always looking for potential friends who are too. I like to see what others are eating for potential meal or food ideas that I may not have considered. Anyone who's open too, and looking for new friends can feel free to add me. :)
  • alemonada
    alemonada Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. No one has ever commented on it....I like getting ideas from other people, not judging them. I appreciate my friend's open diaries. If anyone was ever an a-hole about my food choices, they wouldn't be my friend for long!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I'm perfectly fine with what and how I eat and I don't need feedback on it. If that changed, I'd open it and ask for opinions, but right now if someone wants to know what I eat they can ask, but I think having it open is somewhat of an invitation to look at it, and while I don't have anything to hide, I also have no reason to say "Hey, look at my diary!". I track for me.

I do find it odd when someone people won't friend people unless they have an open diary. You can support people without knowing the minutiae of what they eat. To me saying you won't support someone unless you can see what they eat every day is like saying on a pregnancy forum that you won't support someone trying to conceive unless you can see their basal body temp every morning :ohwell: I get that some people have ED's and the like but I choose to give the benefit of the doubt.

Some members are using other members' diaries as weapons to shame and control. Some regularly stalk other members via their diaries. I've seen the open diary is mandatory requirement for FR but don't agree with it. I don't send or accept friend requests AND I have no interest in viewing someone's diary.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I prefer friends with open diaries. What is the point if we cannot share things.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I have nothing to hide.
  • Embracing_Change
    Options
    My diary is open... I've been hiding behind food long enough :wink:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I usually leave it closed, it's not really out of embarrassment for the most part its just because I hear of friends getting creeps downing their eating. Its one thing if you ask for advice or criticism on it. I know what I need to eat and not its really not that complicated but its not always on par with what I know and want.

I had it open for awhile because its now required for the posting to FB to happen. But since have closed it back because I decided I don't care if posts to FB right now. Maybe later I will reopen it.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. No one has ever commented on it....I like getting ideas from other people, not judging them. I appreciate my friend's open diaries. If anyone was ever an a-hole about my food choices, they wouldn't be my friend for long!

Yeah this somewhat. I'd do the same if someone was stalking mine or making rude comments. Open to friends is nice but I don't want my entire FB feed to be able to watch and see. I don't think anyone would look or care unless they also use MFP and most of them are friends on here too.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I find it odd too. In real life do we insist on that level of detail about someone's life if we're to be their friends? I honestly don't care what others eat. It's their journey. I'm here for me and if you (general you here) want to walk beside me in that journey, share some funny jokes, anecdotes and whatnot, great, but I don't need anyone to hold me accountable. However will I instill good habits and maintain the loss if I don't remain accountable to myself?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open, and I am no cook, so it's a lot of Healthy Choice dinners, some junk food, some fast food, etc. I don't eliminate foods I like, but I have eliminated the word diet from my vocabulary. I do portion control to lose weight, and will maintain in the same manner.
  • JensRiot
    JensRiot Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I prefer friends with open diaries. What is the point if we cannot share things.

Me too. I've gotten some great food ideas from MFP friend's diaries. Mine is public. For me, I'm ok with sharing it. I think it does help keep me honest. It's much easier to lie to myself than other people.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed.I see no reason to keep it open,unless I was asking a question related to it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I figure part of the benefit of MFP is it is a community of people who can help to keep you on track and accountable but they cannot do that if you aren't open.

I encourage anyone who wants to to look at my diary and critique it or give me ideas on how I might improve, I find it empowering.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Open to friends, yes
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It started locked then I thought the worst someone can do is look and send me a message to either offer advice or laugh at how boring it is.