Doing WW, but don't love the new system

Options
I have to say, I really don't like this 0 point fruit and veggie thing. I mean, fruit is great, and healthy, but has so much sugar and calories, it shouldn't be 0 points/free. I understand that they have upped your daily points to allot for the fruit/veggies we eat, but again, I don't like that. I like being in control of what I'm eating, and knowing exactly how many points I'm consuming that day, and with this, I don't feel like I'm in control.
A friend of mine said that one reason they did this, was because - Say an oreo was 1 point, and an apple was 1 point - People were eating the Oreo rather than the apple... So this was a way to encourage people to eat healthy. I get the thinking behind it, but again, I just don't like it.
I'm also confused about the fact that when using the WW calculator it doesn't ask for calories?!? That seems crazy to me! We've been taught to count calories, and while I understand that other things are important, i.e. fat, carbs, sodium, etc to totally omit calories is very hard for me to swallow!

Having said all this, I'm sticking to it all, and following everything to the T. I'm losing about 2 pounds every week with the help of a good amount of exercise as well. Just wish I could follow the old program...

ETA - Another thing thats annoying.... I'm paying for this, and the bar code scanning thing stinks! The one on here knows WAY more products than the WW one. Of course you can always just use the calculator, and thats fine because it works, but still - If I'm paying for a product, its nice if it has more/better/working features than free sites.

Okay, vent over!!! ;)

Replies

• emm3rs
    emm3rs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    IF you are not using the online portion for recipies, or going to meetings, you could get away with spending $2.99 on an app in the app store. its called "itrackbites" it also gives you the ability to use the classic or the new WW program. Just a thought.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Or just track here for free???
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I used to use the old WW system and had a lot of success with it, and fruits and vegetables had points depending on portion size (e.g. a 160g apple would be 1 point). I agree the new system is kinda weird. Fruits and veggies still have calories so why on earth would they be 0 points aha? You can eat 3,500 calories worth of carrots and still gain loads of weight.

If you still wanted to use the old WW system, www.mypoints.me is a really helpful site for giving you the amount of points in your food :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Or just track here for free???

This!
  • Jennifer1583
    Options
    Yes but fruits and veggies at zero points are a way for people to boost their calories up!

WW is pretty low in calories. A lot of people are at 26 points @ an average of 40 calories a point, that is only 1,040 calories.

So many people don't eat their weekly or activity points, getting into that "diet" mentality if I eat less, I will lose more. Of course, we all really know that doesn't always work out that way.
  • dianefisher1947
    dianefisher1947 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also say WHY worry about WW...use this one its free and you are already here...follow the macros and aloted calories and you will be ok
  • slime71
    slime71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My WW friends and I have been voicing these same issues for a few years. So, I completely appreciate your vent. It sounds like you're doing a great job of sticking with the points - so between WW and Myfitnesspal - I say keep up the GREAT WORK!!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused about the fact that when using the WW calculator it doesn't ask for calories?!? That seems crazy to me! We've been taught to count calories, and while I understand that other things are important, i.e. fat, carbs, sodium, etc to totally omit calories is very hard for me to swallow!

I just wanted to respond to this chunk - calories are a function of math based on the macros that make up a food. Protein and carbs each have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. If I remember correctly, the WW calculator asks for protein, fat, carbs and fiber? You basically ARE calculating calories when you input the macros. You can figure out the calorie count of any food (allowing for rounding) by knowing the macros. WW just is giving you a slightly lower point value for foods higher in protein and fiber, not because it's less calories but, I think, to encourage health and satiety (same as the fruits and veggies concept).
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I do W/W also and they program is built in for a certain amount of calories (200 a day I believe) for the fruits and other 0 point items (such as 1 serving of sugar free jello).

And DITTO on the calories are in the W/W system because it is based on the FAT/CARBS/FIBER/PROTEN.

Having said that I don't like the new 'simple' start part of the W/W program because I don't like ot use all fat free items. I may use a few but not all of them.

I also double track here and W/W page.

On maintenance (well was on maintenance - trying to get these regained 18 pounds off) a person doesn't pay for W/W plan an/dor changes to the plan. Just a tidbit of information.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ha -- all the reasons to do WW over MFP (free fruits and veggies, one number to track instead of calories and macros...) are things you don't like.

You sound like a terrible candidate for weight watchers -- but a great candidate for MFP! Why are you trying to force yourself to do WW?
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    if you are doing weight watchers then why are you here? it may be for the forums, but i would not use the food app, it will just do your head in, one or the other I say.

save yourself some money do it here for free.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it quit paying for it and use MFP exclusively. its not that hard.

You don't understand their reasons behind it. The reason 0 points is there is to encourage you to make better choices - that 80 calorie apple is the same as 2 - 80 calorie cookies but those cookies are going to be 2 points that apple is going to be 0... which one will you choose? the general idea is you choose the apple thus making a healthier decision.
  • SnowPanda824
    Options
    If you don't like it quit paying for it and use MFP exclusively. its not that hard.

You don't understand their reasons behind it. The reason 0 points is there is to encourage you to make better choices - that 80 calorie apple is the same as 2 - 80 calorie cookies but those cookies are going to be 2 points that apple is going to be 0... which one will you choose? the general idea is you choose the apple thus making a healthier decision.

But apparently it is hard to reply to a comment without being snarky and rude?

Anyway... Like I said in my original post, I DO understand why its done, and as a whole, I really enjoy doing the points and using WW, however my point about having 0 point fruit is a valid one. I generally just add a point here or there for fruit/veggies I eat, and I'm fine with that. But thanks for your snarky-ness - I hope you feel good about it! ;)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    MFP works and it's not confusing. Give it a whirl :flowerforyou:
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think the value of Weight Watchers is the weekly weigh in and the weekly support of people at meetings.

Lots of people come to WW with 30 or more lbs to lose. For them, eating fruits instead of other snacks, is a huge step.

For someone like me, who has under 15 lbs to lose, unlimited fruits/veggies means a lot of calories that I shouldn't be having.

I don't use apps, I do paper/pencil and the calculator.

You could always combine the tracking here on MFP with the accountability of a weekly meeting and the group support. That's what I"m doing.

I find that without the real life accountability, that it is easy for me to take that...oh, I don't have that much to lose attitude and to watch months drift by. My ultimate goal is to reach my WW lifetime status, and then weigh in monthly and attend as many meetings as I want without having to pay.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options

I just wanted to respond to this chunk - calories are a function of math based on the macros that make up a food. Protein and carbs each have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. If I remember correctly, the WW calculator asks for protein, fat, carbs and fiber? You basically ARE calculating calories when you input the macros. You can figure out the calorie count of any food (allowing for rounding) by knowing the macros. WW just is giving you a slightly lower point value for foods higher in protein and fiber, not because it's less calories but, I think, to encourage health and satiety (same as the fruits and veggies concept).

Oh, and this...I think part of the WW psychology is to get people away from thinking that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...when certain calories fill you up and keep you full more so than other calories.
  • SnowPanda824
    Options
    To reply to a couple other people....

I used to track on here, and its a great tool! But for some reason I just feel more comfortable using WW. I used it to lose 100lbs+ before - I've gained about 50 back, and need to be serious again.

For me, paying for something will give me accountability!!! Waisting money is not an option, so if its on the CC bill every month, I will have no choice but to do it. For me, its just as good as going to a meeting! LOL
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I still cannot get past 5 points=2 TBSP of peanut butter; just hurts my head. And folks routinely talk about crashing(wrestler pre-weigh in) just to make weight. I would think MFP is just going to be easier and more realistic in the long run.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    To reply to a couple other people....

I used to track on here, and its a great tool! But for some reason I just feel more comfortable using WW. I used it to lose 100lbs+ before - I've gained about 50 back, and need to be serious again.

For me, paying for something will give me accountability!!! Waisting money is not an option, so if its on the CC bill every month, I will have no choice but to do it. For me, its just as good as going to a meeting! LOL

Yes, me, too! Kudos to the people who can do it with MFP alone, but I'l get help wherever I can!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I no longer go to WW even though I'm a free life time member. Even for free it's not worth it to me anymore. Love MFP and don't have to drag myself to meeting and I get tons more support here.