What do you do when racks aren't available?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Cross fitters need to stay in the cross fit area. #justsayin

I don't Crossfit. I powerlift. There is a giant difference. It's like calling a hopscotcher a marathon runner.

I do both. No need to be a-hole just because you aren't good at cardio.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If you stand you could probably just use dumbbells in a pinch.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options

I don't Crossfit. I powerlift. There is a giant difference. It's like calling a hopscotcher a marathon runner.

I'm awesome at cardio. Wtf are you talking about?

I wasn't even responding to you I was responding to the ahole that said Crossfitters stay in the Crossfit section. I don't Crossfit. I asked about OHP and squats. That's it. Never mentioned Crossfit.

lol it was a joke. People be so serious about crossfit.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options
    Ikr :P
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Another leg option when the squat rack isn't available is barbell hack squats - start them from the floor like a deadlift, no need for a rack
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Work inbetween whoever is using the rack or wait.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My program is very strict, but I guess I'll have to loosen up. ................ But, if it's a wait, I get discouraged. I might decide to do some cardio and go home.

Those two attitudes sound like they're coming from two totally different people. I'm veyr strict - but if a piece of equipment isn't available I give up alltogether? I know you're asking for alternates and I'm "not helping" but my advice is to strongly consider switching gyms. I switched gyms and it has made a ton of difference in my workout. Being comfortable, working at your pace, and having ample equipment to work with is the only thing deserving of my time and money.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Overhead press shouldn't require a squat rack, I put that up there with curling in the rack. Just clean it from the floor up to your shoulders and do your set then set it back on the floor. As for squatting, whenever the racks are taken and I need to squat I just work on mobility stuff and stretch until one opens up.

You aren't lifting very heavy if you don't need a squat rack for OHP. Sorry to break it to you.

If you can't clean your OHP, you're doing it wrong.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I time my workouts so I get the squat rack, and on the rare occasion I have to wait, I wait. In a real pinch, I use the leg press more than I otherwise would.

As for OHP, I clean and press the first rep. I don't use the rack.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Overhead press shouldn't require a squat rack, I put that up there with curling in the rack. Just clean it from the floor up to your shoulders and do your set then set it back on the floor. As for squatting, whenever the racks are taken and I need to squat I just work on mobility stuff and stretch until one opens up.

You aren't lifting very heavy if you don't need a squat rack for OHP. Sorry to break it to you.

If you can't clean your OHP, you're doing it wrong.

No doubt
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    (1) I ask to work in. Funny thing happens when you walk up and say "Hey. How many sets do you have left?" "Oh, I only have 45 minutes. Do you mind if I work in? I will of course help putting the weights back on the bar." Unless it's 3 guys rotating and doing shrugs or a female newbie who is afraid to talk to anyone, I don't get told no.

(2) I clean the bar off the ground for the first rep every time. I'm not competitive. What do I care if my PR isn't a true PR because I could have pressed more if I had pulled it from a rack at chest height? That teeny bit of extra exercise it takes to move the bar up is nothing. I can clean way more than I can press, BTW.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Suggestions have been solid so far just thought I would add this for laughs...

ojK0sjQ.jpg
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Aside from asking to work in:

If it's leg day, I usually leg press, and then suck it up and get on the machines for some leg extensions and leg curls at the heaviest setting. I'd rather hit the muscle groups as hard as I can separately (and generally you can hit them with a bit more weight on the machines than dumbbell squats, unless you're just a beast) than skip them entirely.

If it's OHP day, I'd just do seated military presses for the same reason. It's a different exercise, but the muscle groups would still be hit enough to feel like I'd done something worthwhile.

Next time I'd proceed with the lifts at the weight I was planning to do on the day I had to adjust.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I'm awesome at cardio. Wtf are you talking about?

I wasn't even responding to you I was responding to the ahole that said Crossfitters stay in the Crossfit section. I don't Crossfit. I asked about OHP and squats. That's it. Never mentioned Crossfit.

lol it was a joke. People be so serious about crossfit.

wow guys attack much...this somehow went to a discussion on racks not being available (which I use to do OHP btw) to a slew of words being thrown at someone who does crossfit....

Not sure why this lash back against Crossfit...I don't personally do it but also know those that do are in great shape...and could kick our butts in a lot of things and vice versa...

Be nice folks....:flowerforyou:

ETA: to the OP if you can't get a squat rack but still want to do your squats there are lots of options out there...I personally don't have to share a rack so i can't offer personal suggestions but there were lots of good ones here..

On the OHP topic before I got my rack I would pick it up from the floor, not a snatch but just get it in position, however I did notice that it does take that much more energy to do that...however once in a while isn't going to hurt that much.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

we had a seated rack at my old gym- for military shoulder press- I used that quiet a bit- but I'd just clean it other wise.

squatting I do something novel and ask how many sets and who I can work in with.

If you are there often enough you make gym friends- the people who you can see are working and know what's what. Even if you are a different weight class- you can make it work.