To anybody thinking buying an activity tracker

Options
My advice would be to DO IT, DO IT NOW. From a swanky and expensive wristband to a £2-off-eBay pedometer, I can’t recommend them highly enough.

I have got the Fitbit One (I wanted the Nike+ Fuelband but it’s not compatible with Android) and whilst it is expensive for a posh pedometer, it has achieved one thing money can’t buy – it has made me more aware of my fitness / activity levels and I am constantly striving to hit my targets, improve on previous best scores, etc – all making me more active than I have been in 20 years.

To those who dismiss them as overpriced gadgets, I would fully agree (for what they actually are and the functionality they provide) but seeing as it took the initial outlay to get me active, get out into the sunshine, get fitter, lose more calories than just dieting alone, etc, I consider it money well spent.

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to DO IT, DO IT NOW. From a swanky and expensive wristband to a £2-off-eBay pedometer, I can’t recommend them highly enough.

I have got the Fitbit One (I wanted the Nike+ Fuelband but it’s not compatible with Android) and whilst it is expensive for a posh pedometer, it has achieved one thing money can’t buy – it has made me more aware of my fitness / activity levels and I am constantly striving to hit my targets, improve on previous best scores, etc – all making me more active than I have been in 20 years.

To those who dismiss them as overpriced gadgets, I would fully agree (for what they actually are and the functionality they provide) but seeing as it took the initial outlay to get me active, get out into the sunshine, get fitter, lose more calories than just dieting alone, etc, I consider it money well spent.

I agree! My Fitbit Flex has been my best purchase this year!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Agree! I LOVE my fitbit flex. Makes you so much more conscious about your daily activity - for me it has made me want to walk more to achieve my 10,000steps. Enabling negative calorie adjustments on MFP too is added motivation - the more active you are the more calories you get; the less active you are, MFP will deduct calories from your daily goal to ensure you're eating at deficit - no one wants calories taken from them!

A little overpriced for what it is but you can't put a price on health! (*cheese*)
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Agree! I LOVE my fitbit flex. Makes you so much more conscious about your daily activity - for me it has made me want to walk more to achieve my 10,000steps. Enabling negative calorie adjustments on MFP too is added motivation - the more active you are the more calories you get; the less active you are, MFP will deduct calories from your daily goal to ensure you're eating at deficit - no one wants calories taken from them!

A little overpriced for what it is but you can't put a price on health! (*cheese*)

If I am close but under my daily target I will climb stairs, pace the house, etc; I also take my dog on more challenging walks (up in the hills as opposed to just on the flat pavements,etc). And it's true how excercise is addictive, I just want to keep doing more and more all the time.

Before I bought it (it's only been 4 weeks) I was losing weight by eating better but my activity levels were pretty low. I am so glad I've got it so I can combine the both.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, I even bought a small home stepper so could make up any steps "deficit" in the evenings! I would have usually been plonked on the couch watching TV.
  • davelfc49
    davelfc49 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and while I am happy with it, I don't sync it with MFP because it messes everything up.

As an apple fanboy, these days it's like admitting going to AA (apple anonymous) when you say that. Hi My name's Dave and I like Apple products.

Anyway, back to the subject. Apple will be bringing out a fitness tracker later this year which will be built in to a watch. My point?

Standby for price reductions on new and ebay deals on used fitness trackers. So I would say, if you can possibly hold off for a few months you will be able to pick up a better deal or if like me you like Apple products, maybe a geeky watch.
  • bostonmom23
    bostonmom23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit one has been the best fitness purchase I ever made!! It has motivated me so much
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy your Fitbit, if that's what you're getting, off ebay. I bought a new-in-package Fitbit Zip from ebay, which turned out defective, and FitBit wouldn't do jack about it because ebay is "not an authorized seller" of their product. Right up until I said I got it from ebay they were set to replace it free of charge but as soon as I said where I got it (they asked), the fantastic support dried up completely.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have looked at them...fitbit being the main one..and I see apple is coming out with a new one...but eh. It could be fun to compete with friends etc but I really don't need one to keep me motivated.

My weight loss does that and the fact I chose exercise I love keeps me motivated.

I think they are great if they do keep you motivated but I would rather spend the money on new plates or a new bar or new shoes for working out in.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I prefer my BodyMedia FIT. Not a fan of the Fitbits.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Love my FitBit One
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I love Fitbits but I would definitely recommend buying them from a local brick & mortar store like Best Buy, Target, Walgreens or Costco. A lot of them don't work right out of the box and you want to be able to just exchange it, not deal with warranty claims and shipping.

What you focus on, you improve.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Fitbit zip is much cheaper on Amazon FYI.

With that being said, I don't really see the appeal. I don't need an expensive gadget to tell me I am being a lazy *kitten*.(I'm usually well aware lol) I did look into them for a day or so and decided it wasn't for me.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I want one so badly, but cannot afford the cost. Glad someone said to avoid Ebay, because that was where I was planning on getting mine, but now, I am not going to do that.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love my $30 pedometer! Keeps me motivated but not overly obsessed.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Is your BMF still working correctly? Mine went haywire when they changed the algorithms back in March and now it's useless. It gives me insane credit for every activity. Customer support says it's more accurate now and won't do anything about it. I don't think it's very likely that I, as a 40 year-old 132 pound woman with a desk job, burn 2700 calories on a rest day. :frown:
  • randomtai
    Options

Is your BMF still working correctly? Mine went haywire when they changed the algorithms back in March and now it's useless. It gives me insane credit for every activity. Customer support says it's more accurate now and won't do anything about it. I don't think it's very likely that I, as a 40 year-old 132 pound woman with a desk job, burn 2700 calories on a rest day. :frown:

Mine works with no problems. I have been losing the amount I should be since I bought it. I was told the Core was the one that changed in algorithm not the FIT LINK.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Buy a Garmin. It'll make every other device look like the toy that it is.............
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Mine works with no problems. I have been losing the amount I should be since I bought it. I was told the Core was the one that changed in algorithm not the FIT LINK.

That makes sense. I have a friend with a Link who is not experiencing the same issue. Thanks.
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have an UP2 band. Absolutely love it. It has a bluetooth built in and it synces up all by itself. It's part of my life now... I never leave without it. You only have to charge it up every 10 days.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Buy a Garmin. It'll make every other device look like the toy that it is.............

HRM ≠ Activity Tracker