To anybody thinking buying an activity tracker

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    To be honest, they aren't for everyone. I bought a fitbit, never saw any use for it and currently have lost/misplaced it. It was about the biggest waste of $100 I've ever spent and I'll probably look to offload it for a few bucks if I ever find it. That said, if you walk a lot and would find a pedometer useful, I can see the appeal.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree that gadgets are pretty cool and can be very helpful. To anyone buying I would advise you do your research and think about WHAT INFORMATION you want your device to track for you. Too often I see posts about people unhappy with their $100+ device simply because they bought the wrong one for what they wanted.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I agree that gadgets are pretty cool and can be very helpful. To anyone buying I would advise you do your research and think about WHAT INFORMATION you want your device to track for you. Too often I see posts about people unhappy with their $100+ device simply because they bought the wrong one for what they wanted.

It seemed like a neat gadget at the time to encourage me to walk more. After buying it, I realized I don't have the time nor the desire to walk more and the fitbit is all but useless for tracking the physical activities I do. The alarm clock feature was pretty nice though if you remember to put the bracelet on before going to bed.
  • StephanieBrocious
    StephanieBrocious Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love my UP24 wristband I bought from Best Buy! It looks like a simple trendy bracelet - I bought it in black so it would go with just about anything I wear and no one is to the wiser unless I tell them what it is. It tracks my steps, distance, calories, sleep, etc. It syncs to my android and MFP. It keeps me motivated to make 10,000 steps/day and it vibrates when I've been idle too long to get my butt up and moving. I totally recommend it!
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just like with anything else concerning weight loss, activity trackers work for some people and not for others. I was hesitant about buying my Jawbone UP24, thinking it *might* motivate me but if not, it would be a $130 mistake. Turns out, I absolutely LOVE mine! It does keep me motivated and honest about my activity. It's like my little weight-loss friend that goes everywhere with me.

Definitely they are not for everyone, just like other weight-loss trends (low-carb, high-carb, paleo, diet pills, etc., etc.) are not for everyone. But I am glad I decided to get mine, I think it's been a big key to my success. :-)
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Yeah, I should've been specific - I know they won't be to everybody's tastes, you need to research and know you are getting what suits your needs before you purchase one (especially at the prices they charge for them), but if you do want to buy in to the whole experience of using one, and are commited to doing so (they are pointless if you don't plan to increase your activity level) they are so rewarding, both physically and the knock-on mental effect of knowing you are getting more active than you were before.

Well that's my experience, anyway.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I prefer my BodyMedia FIT. Not a fan of the Fitbits.

Me too! I'm all about the accuracy, and the BMF is the most accurate one out there.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I prefer my BodyMedia FIT. Not a fan of the Fitbits.

Is your BMF still working correctly? Mine went haywire when they changed the algorithms back in March and now it's useless. It gives me insane credit for every activity. Customer support says it's more accurate now and won't do anything about it. I don't think it's very likely that I, as a 40 year-old 132 pound woman with a desk job, burn 2700 calories on a rest day. :frown:

Mine is 5 years old and still going strong.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting one of these when i get paid next month.

http://www.kiperformance.co.uk/products/default.aspx

Just thought i would share the info. These are apparently the next step up from a plain old hrm. They track EVERYTHING. And can tell you how much total calories you burn in a day with an astonishing level of accuracy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Just thought i would share the info. These are apparently the next step up from a plain old hrm. They track EVERYTHING. And can tell you how much total calories you burn in a day with an astonishing level of accuracy.

Lol those are BodyMedias.... In a different shell. I guess that is the UK version. Seems like copyright infringement. LOL
  • RHachicho
    Options

Lol those are BodyMedias.... In a different shell. I guess that is the UK version. Seems like copyright infringement. LOL

Instead of just loling at me mind telling me if they are any good?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

No one is loling at you. :yawn: And yes they are good. :smokin:
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop, love it :-) wearable trackers FTW!
  • RHachicho
    Options

No one is loling at you. :yawn: And yes they are good. :smokin:

I didn't mean it in THAT way XD. Anyway thanks for the confirmation makes me feel less uneasy about laying out that kind of money.
  • csi4us
    Options
    Thanks this is very helpful. I have had to return my fitbit force once and fitbit flex twice. I am just tired of the problems. Problems like not charging not syncing and believe my I have tried to trouble shoot each one better driving out to the store to return them. Thank goodness I purchased insurance all times. although I love my fitbit for several different reasons, it seems that my fitbits are not holding up to the hype. oh well time to try something new!
  • smbecht78
    smbecht78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed! My Fitbit was a great investment. I push myself more and more each day bc of it! BUY ONE!!!
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Today me and a few friends start a 30 day "marathon" using our Fitbits. We each "pay" a joining fee in the form of a small awesome prize, and the person with the most improvement after 30 days gets all the prizes. I really like the social and motivational aspects, but you've got to do it with people you trust to not fake the stats.

Anyway, if anyone would like to check out the spreadsheet and make a copy to do among friends, here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mvq4HBAAwU5zuF6krrO4S7eSh3oVm0fDqQpJnCbkoYQ/edit?usp=sharing
  • sharonnj398
    sharonnj398 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have had good results with my Nike Fuel. It does make me move more and I try to accomplish the mini-goals too, like move a lot a certain time of day.

I only plug mine into the PC since I have an older phone, but I've seen it hook up with bluetooth to a current droid phone.

What I found most helpful is to get the same brand fitness band as others I know and then to 'friend' them so we can have a little competition or at least accountability.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    can confirm, I have a bodymedia fit, extremely accurate and completely takes the guess work out of what your tdee is, best purchase ever
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

It does look like a rebranded Body Media product. I don't know about 'astonishing accuracy' and tracking everything. I had one and it did about the same as a Fitbit. It claims to use skin sensor data but I think it relies mainly on the accelerometer, like the rest of them.