planet fitness and deadlifts

Options
I am at planet fitness and all they have are smiths machine. Is it possible to do a deadlift with a smith machine or a variation? I used a 60lb ez bar weight and I need to go bigger. Any suggestions?

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    *****I like Planet Fitness, I think it's great they have a gym that's cheap, if one was closer, I would be a member in a hearbeat*****

That being said, if your Planet Fitness doesn't have the equipment you need, it's time to find a new gym that does, many peoples goals change, and with that you need to change your surroundings. I know NOTHING about lifting, but I would believe that doing deadlifts on a smith machine would be way to awkward and unnatural.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    a smith machine will not give you the correct range of motion for a proper deadlift and will likely hurt you.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am at planet fitness and all they have are smiths machine. Is it possible to do a deadlift with a smith machine or a variation? I used a 60lb ez bar weight and I need to go bigger. Any suggestions?

They don't have bench press?
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you know of any exercises that are similar to a deadlift?
  • shirleygirl1013
    Options
    I do my bench press with the smith machine
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

No. The only free weights they have are dumbbells. Other than that, they have Smith Machines and any other machine you can think of. I hate that place...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Use the benchpress bar. And you can put more than 60lbs on an EZ bar.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    dont they have BBs and plates? you dont need a rack to deadlift.
    maybe im not understanding the issue.

if you have BBs and plates available, find some floorspace and go to town.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    1. Grab a bar from one of the benches
    2. Take said bar to an open spot on the floor.
    3. Load weight.
    4. Lift it up.
    5. Put it down.

Repeat 4 & 5
  • da_bears1008
    Options

No. The only free weights they have are dumbbells. Other than that, they have Smith Machines and any other machine you can think of. I hate that place...

That... is a dumb gym.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

How would she put dumbells on a smith machine?

Have you even been to a PF??
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    a lot of planet fitness's don't allow deadlifts, just a word of caution. corporate is cracking down on things like that and the few franchises out there that had previously allowed them are not anymore. mine was one. they used to not care until corporate came for a visit. now they have signs up all over the gym that says "NO DEADLIFTS ALLOWED"

do what i did. switch to gold's.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

My suggestion would be to cancel and join another gym.
  • shirleygirl1013
    Options
    I may have to switch in order to meet my goals. Especially if they are cracking down. They don't have a bar on the bench press i can remove. They only have smiths machines.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Do you know of any exercises that are similar to a deadlift?

HELL NO! Lol... I'm addicted so nothing compares to picking something heavy up and putting it back down.
  • da_bears1008
    Options
    a lot of planet fitness's don't allow deadlifts, just a word of caution. corporate is cracking down on things like that and the few franchises out there that had previously allowed them are not anymore. mine was one. they used to not care until corporate came for a visit. now they have signs up all over the gym that says "NO DEADLIFTS ALLOWED"

do what i did. switch to gold's.

I think that our Gold's is trying to push out powerlifters. They were going to get a 3rd squat rack, but instead they got more ellipticals. There is no good place to deadlift. The free weight area is so crowded you can't do them without being right in the middle of a walkway.

ETA: You get yelled at if you use chalk too!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how a gym could ban a specific lift. Especially something as straightforward as a DL. Snatch and clean crossfit style....I guess I could see how that might be a problem in a crowded space....but deadlift? So confoosed.

It's not ideal, but when I am traveling or don't have access to the equipment I want, I will do supersets with high reps. It's still challenging because of the muscle exhaustion.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I may have to switch in order to meet my goals. Especially if they are cracking down. They don't have a bar on the bench press i can remove. They only have smiths machines.

While some may not allow deadlifts (why?), others encourage them. One of my friends here squats and deadlifts using freeweights at her gym.

You can deadlift using dumb bells. I would suggest Youtubing the form.

What are your goals?
  • shirleygirl1013
    Options
    I started doing them with the preloaded ez bar that is 60 and noq I need to go up. I can already feel results even with just starting at such low weights.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started doing them with the preloaded ez bar that is 60 and noq I need to go up. I can already feel results even with just starting at such low weights.

I am doing NROLFW and started with the ez bars to, but when I needed more than those, I moved to the smith machine. Someone said it may not be the best idea, but it is working for me.