planet fitness and deadlifts

Options
2»

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I started doing them with the preloaded ez bar that is 60 and noq I need to go up. I can already feel results even with just starting at such low weights.

I am doing NROLFW and started with the ez bars to, but when I needed more than those, I moved to the smith machine. Someone said it may not be the best idea, but it is working for me.

I very strongly advise against this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you know of any exercises that are similar to a deadlift?

Nothing can really totally replace the dead lift for actual "strength" training...however, there are various hinge movements that will allow you to work those muscles.

- Supine hip extension with leg curls - I recommend doing these with a Swiss Ball for more of a challenge. You could also use a suspension system like the TRX or Valslides would also make these very challenging. Overall, this is a pretty challenging exercise.

- Romanian Dead Lift - You could either do these with a barbell or dumbbells...you'd probably want to do supplement with some extra quad work as these are going to primarily hit your hammies, glutes, and lower back. I like doing these in combination with front squats.

- Cable Pull Through - This is better for lower weight/higher rep stuff. I use these primarily when I'm doing a lot of endurance training for my bike and can't really go "heavy" without destroying my ability to log my miles. It's a good way to load you hammies and glutes.

Kettlebell or dumbbell Sumo Deads - Another alternative for lower weight/higher rep stuff. Not so great for hypertrophy or strength and power. I like doing these after long rides when my muscles are in a state of fatigue to maximize muscular endurance.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I may have to switch in order to meet my goals. Especially if they are cracking down. They don't have a bar on the bench press i can remove. They only have smiths machines.

While some may not allow deadlifts (why?), others encourage them. One of my friends here squats and deadlifts using freeweights at her gym.

You can deadlift using dumb bells. I would suggest Youtubing the form.

What are your goals?

She can deadlift dumbbells or fixed barbells, but they honestly are not the right height to do proper deadlifts with the best form. Get out of PF, OP. It's not for people with fitness goals, it's for people who want to lose weight doing cardio "without judgement," whatever that's supposed to mean. The slogan is really hypocritical because all of their advertising and silly rules are in place just to judge serious lifters.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I will look at youtube on deadlifting with dumb bells. I am looking to build strength and I want to master some of these compound movements. Also, I like that the deadlifts hits so much of my body when I do them.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I may have to switch in order to meet my goals. Especially if they are cracking down. They don't have a bar on the bench press i can remove. They only have smiths machines.

While some may not allow deadlifts (why?), others encourage them. One of my friends here squats and deadlifts using freeweights at her gym.

You can deadlift using dumb bells. I would suggest Youtubing the form.

What are your goals?

She can deadlift dumbbells or fixed barbells, but they honestly are not the right height to do proper deadlifts with the best form. Get out of PF, OP. It's not for people with fitness goals, it's for people who want to lose weight doing cardio "without judgement," whatever that's supposed to mean. The slogan is really hypocritical because all of their advertising and silly rules are in place just to judge serious lifters.

I have friends on my friends list who have CHANGED THEIR LIVES doing strength training at PF.

Not all Planet Fitness' are the same.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    a lot of planet fitness's don't allow deadlifts, just a word of caution. corporate is cracking down on things like that and the few franchises out there that had previously allowed them are not anymore. mine was one. they used to not care until corporate came for a visit. now they have signs up all over the gym that says "NO DEADLIFTS ALLOWED"

do what i did. switch to gold's.

How come? Like, I mean what is their explanation for why they don't allow them? I doubt they outright say they are trying to push out powerlifters so what is their justification for "cracking down" on certain lifts? Deadlifts in specific?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, if strength and mastering compound movements are your goaland your gym isn't set up for them, you've little choice but to join a different gym.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree that I need to look at other gyms.

My opinion on deadlifts and some other exercises at planet fitness is that they do not have a lot of staff there and are afraid that people will get hurt if they do deadlifts and other more challenging compound movements.

Also, they do cater to the casual gym goer that does not feel comfotable with seeing people lift heavy at gyms. its a little ridicuous I know.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    a smith machine will not give you the correct range of motion for a proper deadlift and will likely hurt you.

OP, I agree with this poster but I believe you can do straight leg deadlifts or some other variations on a Smith machine but in general you won't be able to get proper form. There are machines that are designed to give a more natural deadlift form. Look for something that looks like this machine.

7e8f3-730977.jpg

It's probably a better option than switching gyms if you like where you are but I don't know if Planet Fitness has these.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am at planet fitness and all they have are smiths machine. Is it possible to do a deadlift with a smith machine or a variation? I used a 60lb ez bar weight and I need to go bigger. Any suggestions?

They don't have bench press?

No. The only free weights they have are dumbbells. Other than that, they have Smith Machines and any other machine you can think of. I hate that place...

How would she put dumbells on a smith machine?

Have you even been to a PF??

She doesn't. And yes I have, the two that I've been to DON'T HAVE FREE RANGE WEIGHTS. As I stated before...obviously not all PF locations are the same.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I will look at youtube on deadlifting with dumb bells. I am looking to build strength and I want to master some of these compound movements. Also, I like that the deadlifts hits so much of my body when I do them.

i was going to ask you what your goals are. because if it was just to look a certain way then you wouldnt' necessairly have to do deadlifts.

but if you want to do deadlifts... just to do deadlifts then thats obviously not the place for you.

wouldn't recommend using the smith machine and i'm assuming you'll out grow the dumbells fast but maybe not.

thats crazy that they have no barbell at all. Mine used to have three benches and 4 barbells. now there is one bench, one barbell (and a couple ez-curls). they did have signs up saying no deadlifting, but you can/could get away with it, especially at an off hour.

do that to much and you'll walk in one day and the bar will be gone tho. if that ever happens at the PF i go to, i guess thats going to be the last straw
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    She doesn't. And yes I have, the two that I've been to DON'T HAVE FREE RANGE WEIGHTS. As I stated before...obviously not all PF locations are the same.

free range?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    a smith machine will not give you the correct range of motion for a proper deadlift and will likely hurt you.

OP, I agree with this poster but I believe you can do straight leg deadlifts or some other variations on a Smith machine but in general you won't be able to get proper form. There are machines that are designed to give a more natural deadlift form. Look for something that looks like this machine.

7e8f3-730977.jpg

It's probably a better option than switching gyms if you like where you are but I don't know if Planet Fitness has these.

saddly i've never seen a plated loaded machine at PF. but they are all a little different
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Goodmornings are a good substitute to deadlifts, in my opinion. And I find that I have to use a lot less weight for goodmornings. So the EZ bars might work.

That being said, I'd change gyms. But these might work while you transition.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I am at planet fitness and all they have are smiths machine. Is it possible to do a deadlift with a smith machine or a variation? I used a 60lb ez bar weight and I need to go bigger. Any suggestions?

They don't have bench press?

No. The only free weights they have are dumbbells. Other than that, they have Smith Machines and any other machine you can think of. I hate that place...

How would she put dumbells on a smith machine?

Have you even been to a PF??

So your blanket statement doesn't always apply?

Got it.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would find a new gym soon, there is a much greater chance of injury using the smith machines to do your lifting, because you aren't using any of the correct motions.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    I am in no way bashing PF. It's fine. It is not a gym I would join, but if all you use is the cardio stuff, it's a great deal for $10/mo. But, it's not an all-purpose gym. It has a very specific use.

according to the commercials they are technically not a gym
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    pizza-the-hut.gif

All I saw were lunk gangsta' wannabes and pizza.