Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Supplements and Weight Gain

2»

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    "You saw you're currently around 156 lbs and 12.2% BF (for purposes of this discussion, let's just imagine that your BF scale is accurate; it's not, but let's imagine)."
    -I totally agree its not accurate, when I got it, it basically advised it has a margin of error of up to 3% XD 3% is a huge window of error. Anyways, is there a better alternative for measuring/gauging where you are at on your six pack thats more accurate then that scale? - calipers are a bit more complicated then one would think...

I think there's an even wider margin of error - most can vary wildly depending on hydration levels and the parameters that they use in their calculations. I have a much older scale that also presumes to predict BF% through bioelectrical impedence. But on mine, if I set my height differently, it can swing multiple percentage points (i.e., step on with height set at 5'9" and BF=X; step off; change user to height 6' and BF=Y where X and Y are more than a few percentage points difference - same electrical response, though). Additionally, I have checked the BF% for giggles on the same days I've had a DEXA scan and a Hydro test -- way, way off the others.

The best alternative is probably just your mirror. You're pretty focused on the visuals / image (nothing wrong with that!) so I'd use that as an estimate of how close / far you are to where you want to be. As mentioned above, I have had both hyrdrostatic testing (water weighting, basically) and a DEXA scan. Both are generally regarded as pretty accurate, but both can be a little spendy (I only pay $35 or $40 for a hydro and I paid $85 for the one DEXA I have had done). But again - given how much the visuals are driving your goals, why not just stick with that and treat the scale's reported BF as nothing more than a cute toy?
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    "You saw you're currently around 156 lbs and 12.2% BF (for purposes of this discussion, let's just imagine that your BF scale is accurate; it's not, but let's imagine)."
    -I totally agree its not accurate, when I got it, it basically advised it has a margin of error of up to 3% XD 3% is a huge window of error. Anyways, is there a better alternative for measuring/gauging where you are at on your six pack thats more accurate then that scale? - calipers are a bit more complicated then one would think...

I think there's an even wider margin of error - most can vary wildly depending on hydration levels and the parameters that they use in their calculations. I have a much older scale that also presumes to predict BF% through bioelectrical impedence. But on mine, if I set my height differently, it can swing multiple percentage points (i.e., step on with height set at 5'9" and BF=X; step off; change user to height 6' and BF=Y where X and Y are more than a few percentage points difference - same electrical response, though). Additionally, I have checked the BF% for giggles on the same days I've had a DEXA scan and a Hydro test -- way, way off the others.

The best alternative is probably just your mirror. You're pretty focused on the visuals / image (nothing wrong with that!) so I'd use that as an estimate of how close / far you are to where you want to be. As mentioned above, I have had both hyrdrostatic testing (water weighting, basically) and a DEXA scan. Both are generally regarded as pretty accurate, but both can be a little spendy (I only pay $35 or $40 for a hydro and I paid $85 for the one DEXA I have had done). But again - given how much the visuals are driving your goals, why not just stick with that and treat the scale's reported BF as nothing more than a cute toy?

Good stuff, but I want to set a reward for myself now once I'm pleased visually with where I'm at. Where would one go about getting a Hydro done? General Practitioner office?
  • What exactly is C4? I am trying to gain 10 -15lbs on a 5' 10" frame currently weighing 143lbs. Been working out for years but found out from a nutritionist my calorie intake is to low for my activity level. She suggested creatine as a supplement since after 4 weeks of daily calorie intake of 2880 only provided 2lbs of gain. So before I purchase creatine I need to know what C4 is and order it too?
    Thanks!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    C4 is a pre-workout powder.
    A stimulant

I would say get diet in place first and stick to it, befiore you invest in supps like creatine and pre/post workouts.
  • MrTolerable
    What exactly is C4? I am trying to gain 10 -15lbs on a 5' 10" frame currently weighing 143lbs. Been working out for years but found out from a nutritionist my calorie intake is to low for my activity level. She suggested creatine as a supplement since after 4 weeks of daily calorie intake of 2880 only provided 2lbs of gain. So before I purchase creatine I need to know what C4 is and order it too?
    Thanks!

It provides a huge bolt of energy leading up to your workout - also I do want to advise C4 has creatine in it... one scoop has about a 4th of the total amount of creatine I take daily - not sure where you want to be at for yourself but I always say less is more - esp when trying something new.
  • MrTolerable
    What exactly is C4? I am trying to gain 10 -15lbs on a 5' 10" frame currently weighing 143lbs. Been working out for years but found out from a nutritionist my calorie intake is to low for my activity level. She suggested creatine as a supplement since after 4 weeks of daily calorie intake of 2880 only provided 2lbs of gain. So before I purchase creatine I need to know what C4 is and order it too?
    Thanks!

- and 2880 calories daily...

you must be incredibly active... only 2lbs of gain... strictly lean muscle gain i'd assume?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    I literally started the C4 two days ago, met a guy at a wedding who went from a cut 5'8" 160 lbs - to a cut 240lbs in 8 months... and swore by it... and of course he swore by a paleolithic type diet as well.

its not possible to gain 80 lbs of muscle in 8 months

even with steroids its probably not possible

even with steroids half that is probably not possible.

suppliments are food. don't expect them to do anything food can't do for you
  • No_Finish_Line
    this was written by an MFP member and is worth reading

http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

check this site out for realistic expectations of maximum wieght at (average) full genetic potential and a given height and BF % (and not drugs)

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Honestly can't say since I am not huge but I wanted to add my quick 10 cents

1. If you haven't already add resistance to your ab workout. Not only will this challenge you, but it will fill your abs more and build just a tad bit more muscle. We can eat all the protein we need to but it is useless if we never challenge ourself. I would suggest your usual routine + a WEIGHTED compound exercise like the double crunch or Toe touch + Hip Raise Use this at the end of your workout. Use a 2-1-2-1 (2 seconds down, 1 second bottom hold, 2 seconds top, and 1 second bottom hold) then 10 more slow reps without weight.

2. These guys got you right but I think only one other thing i missing. I suggest you eat more whole foods. The thermic effect of the food will help you burn some calories and whole foods are all you need unless you can't or don't eat complete protein like lean meats, dairy, and eggs at each meal. I am in no way saying dump the supplements though

Hope this helps. Do you other guys agree?
  • MrTolerable
    I literally started the C4 two days ago, met a guy at a wedding who went from a cut 5'8" 160 lbs - to a cut 240lbs in 8 months... and swore by it... and of course he swore by a paleolithic type diet as well.

^actually he said he took a testosterone booster, and Idk if that is a steroid or not - sounds steroid like..? - but yeah, I agree it sounded insane thats why I repeated it...

and that is a good way to look at it.. I mean it has a calorie amount and everything.. so it is basically food.
  • MityMax96

2. These guys got you right but I think only one other thing i missing. I suggest you eat more whole foods. The thermic effect of the food will help you burn some calories and whole foods are all you need unless you can't or don't eat complete protein like lean meats, dairy, and eggs at each meal. I am in no way saying dump the supplements though

Hope this helps. Do you other guys agree?

Whole foods should always be a preference over supps and protein shakes
  • MityMax96

^actually he said he took a testosterone booster, and Idk if that is a steroid or not - sounds steroid like..? - but yeah, I agree it sounded insane thats why I repeated it...

and that is a good way to look at it.. I mean it has a calorie amount and everything.. so it is basically food.

Hmmm.....10 lbs of muscle per month....even with Testosterone.....

Sounds like a heart condition waiting to happen or a stroke.
  • MityMax96

Keep one thing in mind.

Extremes never work.
    They may work for a short time, but after a while when things snap back.....you will be f*cked

Nature doesn't like extremes.

Be smart, be balanced.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Good stuff, but I want to set a reward for myself now once I'm pleased visually with where I'm at. Where would one go about getting a Hydro done? General Practitioner office?

Just have to google hydrostatic testing in your area. Or DEXA scan. Or BodPod which is another form of testing (though one I've never done). I do my hydro testing through a mobile van that visits my workplace gym once per quarter. I googled DEXA scan and found two providers in my area - one at a university sports clinic, and one private provider.

I love having the data and had a great time comparing the various results, but like you I am frankly more driven by achieving the appearance (and performance) that I want than any raw number. I'll keep doing hydros and maybe the occasional DEXA because I like data - but I really rely on the mirror more than anything these days.
  • No_Finish_Line
    if your talking about a perscription testosterone booster... idk how much that effects mass building, but i'd imagine it would influence it some.

people do take testosterone for the same reasons/effects as they take sterroids but not really the same substance. I think they also take it in much higher doses then you would be prescribed by a dr
  • MrTolerable

Keep one thing in mind.

Extremes never work.
    They may work for a short time, but after a while when things snap back.....you will be f*cked

Nature doesn't like extremes.

Be smart, be balanced.
    Yep, I try to live by Aristotle's golden mean. - I appreciate that input.

@no_finish_line - honestly I have no idea really what it was but I know it must have been fishy because I was asking him how he got so much more cut yet massive in size since the last time I saw (It's been about 3 years for me) and thats when he talked about C4 for a lengthy amount of time and there was some talk of the booster but I wasn't paying much attention - I used to struggle with substance abuse and got into this healthy lifestyle just for the sake of being happier - no way in the world I am trying something that is messing with my testosterone while I'm a 24 yr old healthy guy all ready getting results I'm really proud of.

Cortelli - sweet found a few places. but yeah its the visual look that really gets the motivation going.

:) thanks for your prompt & informative response!