The wrong kind of snacking.

Options
Nooneknows21
Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
Hi everyone,
I've been using MFP for a while and read these message boards regularly yet never posted!

I have finally started realising that:
a) I need support!
b) snacking on the rubbish foods (crisps are my downfall!!!) actually makes me feel like rubbish. But, I can't stop...

As soon as I come home from work (I'm a teacher so can't snack throughout the day or anything) I am starving and it all goes downhill from there. Then I feel psychologically rubbish because I have let myself down.

Can anybody recommend anything I could maybe do? (other than to get a grip!) I want to lose at least 30lbs and know that I'm going to have to find something to curb these cravings and receive some support. It just feels like an impossible task.

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Try a greek yogurt, or seasoned kale chips (I've just discovered these), some string cheese with some fruit, some jerky...Try adding a bit more protein so your not so hungry when you get home, it really helps me. Something that doesn't have any nutrients but is very low in calories are sugar free jello, sometimes with cool whip on top. :smile:
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1) dont' keep the chips in the house!!
    2) you aren't eating enough during the day. I have recently upped my protein by a little bit (seriously, like 20 g worth during the day) and I'm am no longer "starving" when I get home and devouring every bad thing in site at home.
    Make sure you are eating enough during the day!
  • Nooneknows21
    Options
    Ooh these sound delicious, thank you so much for your ideas!

I usually have a cup-a-soup with a yoghurt and some fruit for my lunch so will make more efforts with protein. I also struggle with breakfast, I'm trying to have bran flakes and a piece of fruit.

Thanks again guys :happy:
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As soon as I come home from work (I'm a teacher so can't snack throughout the day or anything) I am starving and it all goes downhill from there. Then I feel psychologically rubbish because I have let myself down.

It must be tough not being able to snack at all during the day. Maybe try a protein shake mid afternoon. And also keep some healthier snacks in the car. Ex. Apples & Pb, Bananas, Jerky. If you can eat something right when you get off, you may be less likely to binge on foods when you get home since you'll have a little something in your system before dinner.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    1) dont' keep the chips in the house!!
    2) you aren't eating enough during the day. I have recently upped my protein by a little bit (seriously, like 20 g worth during the day) and I'm am no longer "starving" when I get home and devouring every bad thing in site at home.
    Make sure you are eating enough during the day!

Great advice!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've been using MFP for a while and read these message boards regularly yet never posted!

I have finally started realising that:
    a) I need support!
    b) snacking on the rubbish foods (crisps are my downfall!!!) actually makes me feel like rubbish. But, I can't stop...

Can anybody recommend anything I could maybe do? (other than to get a grip!) I want to lose at least 30lbs and know that I'm going to have to find something to curb these cravings and receive some support. It just feels like an impossible task.

Grazing in the kitchen after work was my downfall too. Ideas to break the habit:

Bring a snack with you to work. Eat the snack on your way home. That way you've already eaten.

If it's the crunch......carrot chips (carrot slices) are good. If it's the salt, popcorn can help. Look for a low fat brand, or make your own.

If you must have chips, buy the lunch box sized bags. This way you can have a small serving.
  • mi2mina
    mi2mina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    make sure when you snack , that it has some form of protein in it that will help in between your main meals of the day
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and protein to keep your self satiated. This will help you snack less as you won't be hungry.

I second the poster who said "don't keep crisps in the house!" I can't buy ice cream, chips, bagels, etc because I will EAT ALL THE THINGS!!

Change your attitude. As long as you're saying "I can't", you won't.
  • hansrobs77
    Options
    Hi! I'm just the same as you, thanks for posting and thanks for everyone who have commented great advice!
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    also, can you keep nuts at work? Those are easy to keep in your pocket or your desk drawer to snack on during the day...
    I do that when I'm on site at customer locations, and can't bring protein bars or fruit or whatever... (just don't eat too many!)
  • aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are a lifesaver, you can make a bunch in advance and they're a great source of protein in the morning to keep you full. Also, making you're own granola bars will help to get you through the day without all the extra sugar and preservatives. Alton Brown has a great recipe.
  • Nooneknows21
    Options
    All of this advice is amazing, it's so nice having that support out there and that I'm not alone in the snacking thing. Thank you.

Definitely need to take the no-buying-of-crisps into account and the optimism. Will post again tomorrow after more protein-based snacks/lunch and hopefully won't be craving the crunchy salty snacks!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Can you prep something in advance so that dinner is ready when you get home? Crock pots are great for that. So is making a bunch of something you want to eat (tasty casserole, lasagna, etc) for the week and portioning it out. Alternately, can you get individually portioned crisps so that you can have 1 bag while dinner is cooking?

If you plan in advance, you're less likely to make "HUNGRY NOW!!" decisions.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Try having a larger breakfast and lunch with more protein and fiber. Cup of Noodles is low protein, low fiber and high sodium. How about making a batch of homemade soup with lots of veggies and some protein (chicken, beans, lean ground beef) on the weekend that you can eat for lunch during the week? Or take some leftover chicken and veggies, brown rice, etc. from dinner?Depending on the type of yogurt you eat, that may not have much protein and could be high in sugar, so you are setting yourself up for a binge later on if you eat like that.

Here are some ideas of stuff you can bring with you to snack on the way home:
    cut veggies and hummus
    hard boiled eggs
    celery or apples with peanut butter
    cottage cheese and fruit (my favorite!)
    string cheese with whole grain crackers
    Greek yogurt
    fresh fruit
    rolled up deli turkey, ham or roast beef
    nuts and raisins (be careful with portion sizes as these foods are calorie dense)

There is nothing wrong with eating chips in moderation. But eating them because you are starving means you haven't given your body enough food during the day. Teaching is HARD WORK! You deserve the fuel! :)
  • Nooneknows21
    Options
    also, can you keep nuts at work? Those are easy to keep in your pocket or your desk drawer to snack on during the day...
    I do that when I'm on site at customer locations, and can't bring protein bars or fruit or whatever... (just don't eat too many!)

I was thinking of taking nuts into work...How much would you recommend? I would hate to eat too many haha, it would be an easy mistake for me to make!
  • ashleypiasecki
    ashleypiasecki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep some almonds (ideally unsalted, but salty snacks are my downfall as well) in your car or work bag. Then you can have a handful on the way home. It won't fill you up, but having a bit of protein in your system on the way home can really help control those snack urges when you walk in the door- that extra boost helps me fight the cravings and wait a bit until I can prepare something more healthy.

If that helps, then I'd suggest this as a next step: I made the switch to having 4-5 "meals" a day (really, I just work in 2 small snacks at midmorning and midafternoon) and it's helped me control my appetite, keep from being sluggish in the afternoon, and kept me from diving into the hummus and pita chips the moment I get home. Maybe you're like me, and having a prepared "after work snack" as a healthy mini-meal will help. :) I just keep something in the fridge at work and grab it on the way out the door (some baby carrots and turkey jerky, or homemade trail mix, etc. I try to get a mix of at least 2 food groups and have it run 200 cal or less.) If I don't want it, I make myself eat it anyway because I know when I get home I'll want to snack on the unhealthy stuff that the others in the house have around. Once I got in the habit, my body started to expect this "mini meal" and it was easy to eat less at dinner (which was an added bonus.)
  • ashleypiasecki
    ashleypiasecki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ~28 almonds (1 serving) is a big handful. It'll run about 160 calories. If you like hot stuff, try wasabi almonds- I can't munch those down too fast! :)
  • lauzie123
    lauzie123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try and have some healthy snacks pre-prepared in your fridge so as soon as you get home you can grab these, i always keep lots of fresh fruit and some type of clean energy bar like a cliff, a nak'd or a pulsin' bar so i can have these. As already suggested keep some nuts and dried fruit in your bag to snack on if you are allowed. I know some schools can be funny about taking nut products in due to allergies the children may have, I'm not allowed in the nursery i work in so I've been adding tuna, or chickpeas to my salads instead for that extra bit of protein. Hope this helps :smile:
  • Nooneknows21
    Options
    I have jotted down all these ideas, going to go for that 'mini-meal' thing after work and try out the different food ideas you have all recommended and see which ones work. I have some eggs boiling as we speak too! Breakfasts need to be bigger, I see that now, and more protein in my lunches! Force the 'mini-meal' so I avoid the fattier and more calorific foods when I get home.

Great advice, thank you all! I can't believe I haven't posted sooner! :blushing:

How long did it take your bodies/minds to get used to these changes?
  • Nooneknows21
    Options
    Try and have some healthy snacks pre-prepared in your fridge so as soon as you get home you can grab these, i always keep lots of fresh fruit and some type of clean energy bar like a cliff, a nak'd or a pulsin' bar so i can have these. As already suggested keep some nuts and dried fruit in your bag to snack on if you are allowed. I know some schools can be funny about taking nut products in due to allergies the children may have, I'm not allowed in the nursery i work in so I've been adding tuna, or chickpeas to my salads instead for that extra bit of protein. Hope this helps :smile:

Yes it does, thank you! I am really into dried mango at the minute so will make sure I snack on this throughout the day when possible rather than leaving it until after dinner. Chickpea salad sounds delicious! Might have to try that one too. :smile: