The wrong kind of snacking.

Options

Replies

• klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat two apples or a banana in the car on my way home every day. It's generally enough to take the edge off before I get home so I can make better decisions.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would be starving too if all I had to eat all day was cup of soup, a yogurt and a piece of fruit. I know some people are fine with that but it would not be enough for me. I agree with everyone to add some protein. I love a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato and a slice of Cheddar on Nature's Own bread. Cottage cheese has a pretty good amount of protein (13g) for 1/2 cup and about 90 calories. Some raw veggies or fruit on the side. You might also want to consider taking a snack to eat in the car on the way home some you are not starving when you get there. Maybe some beef jerky or a granola bar or some more cut up veggies or something just to take the edge off. If you only bring what you want snack on you won't be tempted to eat more than you want and your hunger should be reasonably under control by the time you get home so you can work on dinner. Best of luck :)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Never mind. I thought this forum was titled, "The wrong kind of spanking." I was gonna say, "there's a wrong kind?" but that's not what this forum is about.
  • Rain882
    Rain882 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also crave crunch and salt..so I've been snacking on olive tapenade hummus 2 tbs. for 80 calories and Flatbread crips..8 crackers is 70. It's been plenty for me. I do measure it out. It's still 150 calories but I lost 3 lbs. last week and I did this. You can also substitute carrots or whatever veggie then it wouldn't be bad at all. But the other's are right..more protein during the day.. My daughter is a teacher and eating lunch even can be a problem. I also have been adding turkey to my salads. Good Luck!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with after work snacks....thanks for posting the question and thanks all for the wonderful answers!
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Another option might be to have your lunch near the end of your break, this 1/2 hour may help take the edge off. I eat part of my lunch, then go for a walk and finish lunch on return.

Also on your way home, if you can, drink some water because it might be dehydration playing a factor if you are craving salty snacks.

Good luck.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You can look at my dairy if you like. I'm not completely satisfied. I had a downfall yesterday where I ate a protein bar when I wasnt hungry because I wanted to try it out, but other than that I've eaten steadily and havent had any hunger problems
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have found a few new snack things that are really tasty, and have helped with some of my cravings:

Kale chips (already mentioned)
    My own potato chips (oven baked with a little fresh ground sea salt)
    My own sweet potato chips (again oven baked with a little fresh ground sea salt)

And for chocolate, I have discovered Bolthouse Farms Chocolate protein shake.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I would also say don't keep crisps in the house very often. If I have crisps in the house, I eat them, if I don't I don't really miss them.
  • ArkansasNoSugar
    Options
    I keep gala apples in the fridge - crisp and cold - it's the crunch factor that satisfies. The pectin in apples is a natural appetite suppressant. Sometimes I add a spoon of peanut butter.

Then I brush my teeth, drink a bottle of water and GO - anywhere and do anything. Gets the mind off food.
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is a great list of healthy snacks Wonder Woman. Thanks for sharing.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've become addicted to roasted chickpeas. I roast them, then let sit with lime juice and a spice mix that I grind out of whole chipotle peppers, cumin seed and I add garlic powder, salt and regular chile powder. Smoked paprika is good,too. Roast again for about ten minutes after soaking in the lime juice, just to get them dry and fully browned.
    Tastes a lot like chile and lime corn nuts! But, with fiber, protein and complex carbs and none of the fat, which corn nuts are full of.
  • ArkansasNoSugar
    Options
    When I switched from carb breakfasts (cereal/oatmeal) to protein breakfasts (eggs/meat) I found I didn't drop in energy by lunchtime and I wasn't starving, either. Made a big difference. I focus on protein now at every meal with "a dash" of carb in fruit or veggie form, not grains.
  • Nooneknows21
    Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Brill ideas, I'm surprised at how many people can relate to this actually! Home-made crisps sound to die for so gonna get some of them going tomorrow too.

Water probably does play a factor, I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should. Maybe forcing a drink of water and the 'mini-meal' earlier suggested would help. Going to avoid the crisp aisles as much as possible in the supermarkets too! Difficult though as the crackerbreads are usually around them :laugh: darn supermarkets making it soo difficult for us wanting to lose weight!

Thank you and good luck to everyone else taking these fab ideas on board! :D
  • Rain882
    Rain882 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok I apologize LOL..I read it as your downfall as Chips..sheesh..never mind rewind! :)
  • tracydr
    Options
    I agree with protein for breakfast. Toast or oatmeal doesn't hold me. A protein and fruit smoothly or eggs and chard or beans will keep me full much longer.
    I also like having artificial crab, sardines or smoked oysters for a snack. String cheese or smoked turkey, too.
    Some of the South Beach diet snacks from the book are very good and filling.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I was super busy but didn't have time for a snack, I would drink an Ensure. Just don't drink too many of them because they do have sugar and calories and it's easy to go overboard on them. Or even Special K protein water if you just ate (although I haven't tried that).
  • tracydr
    Options
    When I'm really starving, a scoop of protein powder shaken with unsweetened almond milk ( plus coffee, fruit or pumpkin and spice) can really fill me up. I prefer using my blender and adding ice to thicken but if just using coffee or pumpkin as a flavor, a jar with a lid works fine. I use vanilla whey protein powder and it's really pretty tasty, even just plain with the almond milk.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cucumbers, apples, bananas, and popcorn are my usuals.

I just got some baby carrots though and I'm gonna start adding those in.
  • amymwp
    amymwp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've started snacking on rinsed chickpeas while preparing dinner. Very satisfying and filling and I find that I don't eat as much at dinner either.