I want to learn to like running!

Options
124»

Replies

• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lot of good advice here, and I can't emphasize enough to slow your pace down to point where you can comfortably run for long times. I struggled with pace early on by going too hard but when I had to stop for traffic, I had difficulty getting back into pace. A slow pace is good idea to start because you can always push yourself hard as you build endurance. A good indicator of comfort pace is that you should be able to keep a conversation or sing a song without struggling to breath.

Another aspect is to keep your mind focused on something else. I prefer to listen to podcast if I am not working on performance and at times I will stop and just bust out laughing over something funny. I keep my mind distracted by thinking about good meal ideas. I'm also a number cruncher so I'll memorize distances between major streets and try to guestimate how much I have ran and will run in this jog. Other times I listen to famous speeches on repeat and try to memorize them.

To get over the boringness of routine, change your goals up. For example, in March, I wanted to make sure I kept a rolling 7 day running total of 10 miles. April was to run only 2-3 miles sessions only at least once a day, but if I wanted more mileage, I would run again later that day. For May, I set a goal of 80 miles, and ended up hitting 100 miles. June, I am working on performance techniques and find good run, rest, stretch schedule before 5K and 10Ks.

Besides running goals, I also try to seek out helpful things I can do when I am out running. If I see a stray dog, I'll try to catch up though I haven't succeeded yet. Always help someone if I see they are pushing their car. Sometimes, I bring a bag with me and pick up trash along my route (this comes from a fishermen idea that you want to leave a place in better condition than when you arrived). I want to start packing food and snacks with me and hand them out to the homeless and panhandlers.
  • TheExquisiteAuren
    Options
    I HATED running in high school, so much so that my mile time was atrocious and I thought about skipping gym. After college, though, I discovered a few things that made me enjoy it more:

-Time of day. I have terrible runs if I run in the morning/during the day, but if I run in the evening, I enjoy it more.
    -Music. Some people need it, some people don't. And don't assume that you need something with a fast pace to enjoy it. My favorite run I ever did was just with some random acoustic music I had on my iPod.
    -Terrain. I hated running on grass or gymnasium flooring, but trail and pavement running work really well for me.
    -Running route. For me, I like to mix up my runs, taking different roads and trails every time I run. Other people like having a set route. Other people prefer the treadmill.

Play around, see if there's anything you really enjoy. And don't be self-conscious of people that see you running-that will totally kill the awesome feelings you can get.

That's all probably been said, but I figured I'd reiterate it. Good luck!