One day of fasting in addition to cheat day

Options
Hey!

I've been reading a lot about 24 hours of fasting. Not necessarily going morning to night with no food, but eating dinner on Tuesday, for example, and then not eating again until Wednesday night at the same time. There are loads of benefits that go along with a 24 hour fast that aren't practiced often in the west - who's tried this and what results have you had?

So, most people also have a cheat day when focusing on weight loss. Has anybody ever had a cheat day in addition to a fast day in one week?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I've been reading a lot about 24 hours of fasting. Not necessarily going morning to night with no food, but eating dinner on Tuesday, for example, and then not eating again until Wednesday night at the same time. There are loads of benefits that go along with a 24 hour fast that aren't practiced often in the west - who's tried this and what results have you had?

So, most people also have a cheat day when focusing on weight loss. Has anybody ever had a cheat day in addition to a fast day in one week?
    12 weekr and 32 lbs lost fasting 3 24 hr cycles per week. my cheat meal is usually the night after my 3rd fast and usually still only gets me to my tdee. win win.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by cheat day? Do you mean eat above your calorie goal?
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    feedfeedfoodfood Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I said "cheat day" I mean eating what you want for one meal of the day. Not every day. Just one specific day. I don't mean only fasting and eating bad. Here would be an example:

Sunday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Monday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Tuesday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Wednesday - fast
    Thursday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Friday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Saturday - Cheat day
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    What do you typically eat during your non-cheat days? What kind of activity are you doing as well?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    When I said "cheat day" I mean eating what you want for one mean of the day. Not every day. Just one specific day. I don't mean only fasting and eating bad. Here would be an example:

Sunday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Monday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Tuesday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Wednesday - fast
    Thursday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Friday - regular exercise and clean diet
    Saturday - Cheat day

Lol, "clean diet". Your views on nutrition are pretty skewed...
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    I didn't mean replacing a cheat meal with a day of fasting. I just meant incorporating both into your weekly routine and what kind of results people have had with a 24-hour fast once weekly in addition to a cheat day/meal.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    Why skewed? Eating organic/grass fed meat and vegetables isn't clean? Please reply if you have insight or experience, not negativity.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat every day and not participate in "fasts", especially 24 hour ones.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Why skewed? Eating organic/grass fed meat and vegetables isn't clean? Please reply if you have insight or experience, not negativity.

He means that the concept of "clean" eating is a false one. You can eat anything if it fits your macros/calories and still lose weight/fat.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Fasts for religious purposes certainly can have value when practiced for the right reasons. Fasting for dietary purposes may not fit into everybody's activity level.
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Lol, "clean diet". Your views on nutrition are pretty skewed...

what you just did, right here, is why I've largely stopped posting on the message boards. The user defaulted to a term she assumed would get her point across without taking up too much space. You, in response, chose to deride the term rather than actually respond to the sentiment, assuming that such derision was both acceptable and marked your superior intelligence. You didn't bother to respond to what she was saying, just wrote it off because it doesn't fit your remarkably limited capacity to imagine, empathize or even investigate.

Why does that make people here feel so good about themselves? And how do you expect to grow doing that?

As for the fasting thing, it's not as unhealthy or as weird/fad diet/crash diet as it sounds. (How is it any crazier than insisting that you eat within 30 minutes of waking up?) It's similar to cycling caloric intake, and it's also similar to hunger and digestion patterns that a lot of people naturally experience.

I don't have personal experience with it, though my cousin and her husband followed the 5:2 fasting meal plan and had phenomenal results. That said, they also did a lot of weight training on their regular days and have always subsisted principally on local produce with minimal processed foods, so it's hard to say whether the diet or the exercise and increased self-awareness did it.
  • AJ_G
    Options

There is no such thing as clean foods and dirty foods. The fact that you think there are shows that your views on nutrition are skewed.

Insight: No individual food is healthy or unhealthy. When looking at the healthiness of food you have to take context and dosage into account. A food is healthy if it fits into the context of your calorie and macro intake for the day. For example, many people may think that an apple is healthy and always healthy, this is not the case. If your calorie goal is 1500 calories a day, and it is the end of the day and you have eaten 1500 calories and you hit all your macro goals, then eating an apple in this situation would be unhealthy. The same can go for foods often deemed unhealthy. If you are 300 calories shy of your daily goal, and under on fat and carbohydrates for the day, then 300 calories of ice cream could be a healthy choice in this situation.
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options

He means that the concept of "clean" eating is a false one. You can eat anything if it fits your macros/calories and still lose weight/fat.

... except that the added sodium, corn syrup and preservatives in processed foods ****s with both your digestion and your appetite like none other. Have you actually tried cutting that stuff out of your diet? At least for me, just a week or two without it makes a huge difference.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options

Understandable. However, that doesn't necessarily make foods that are within your calorie limit nutritionally dense. Eating food that comes from a reliable source is going to give you better results verses eating 1200 calories of fast/processed foods.

I'm asking for personal experiences, not criticism on a question. It's not really that difficult.
  • RestartingAgain1
    Options
    In my nutrition class my professor explained the benefits of intermittent fastingand there are tons! but 24 hrs was not one mentioned it was more of 8/16 , 10/14 etc

oh and i dont do this actually, just letting you know :)
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options

Understandable. However, that doesn't necessarily make foods that are within your calorie limit nutritionally dense. Eating food that comes from a reliable source is going to give you better results verses eating 1200 calories of fast/processed foods.

I'm asking for personal experiences, not criticism on a question. It's not really that difficult.
  • AJ_G
    Options

... except that the added sodium, corn syrup and preservatives in processed foods ****s with both your digestion and your appetite like none other. Have you actually tried cutting that stuff out of your diet? At least for me, just a week or two without it makes a huge difference.

You can still eat processed foods and stay under your sodium goal. You can't just assume that because someone eats processed food that they don't have macro, micro, and fiber goals that they hit or stay under every day. Also, nothing is wrong with corn syrup...

I have tried to cut that out of my diet back when I had no clue what I was doing and decided that "eating clean" was the best option. I didn't feel any better than I do when I eat the foods I enjoy but hit all my goals at the same time...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    majoring in the minors.

Hit cals, eat enough protein and fats and plenty of fruit and veg.

Live long and prosper. (and get shredded :laugh:)

And to answer OP:

I have done 24hr fasts before. Eat Stop Eat style as you mention. I didn't track cals (this was an experiment) on eating days. I maintained weight. (as I ate too much on eating days)

I have never had the "cheat" day concept as I do flexible dieting. If I have a high day, I make up for it with lower days and hit a weekly average target.