One day of fasting in addition to cheat day

Options

Replies

• MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why skewed? Eating organic/grass fed meat and vegetables isn't clean? Please reply if you have insight or experience, not negativity.

There is no such thing as clean foods and dirty foods. The fact that you think there are shows that your views on nutrition are skewed.

Insight: No individual food is healthy or unhealthy. When looking at the healthiness of food you have to take context and dosage into account. A food is healthy if it fits into the context of your calorie and macro intake for the day. For example, many people may think that an apple is healthy and always healthy, this is not the case. If your calorie goal is 1500 calories a day, and it is the end of the day and you have eaten 1500 calories and you hit all your macro goals, then eating an apple in this situation would be unhealthy. The same can go for foods often deemed unhealthy. If you are 300 calories shy of your daily goal, and under on fat and carbohydrates for the day, then 300 calories of ice cream could be a healthy choice in this situation.

There are a thing called micronutrients, you know, aside from fat, carbs, and protein. So yes, I would say an 80 calorie apple is 10x healthier than an 80 calorie pack of Oreo's, regardless if it fits into your macros or not.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Fasting to combat a cheat day sounds like a vicious cycle and mental approach to weight loss than is unnecessary and for some people can lead to issues.

+1

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing the point of fasting one day and then having a cheat day later in the week. I'm not disputing weekly calorie averages, I'm just not sure what the benefits, if any, are to this particular approach beyond just being another way to arrange calorie intake.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add I technically "fast" for 17 hours a day simply because for my own digestive issues eating many small meals a day doesn't work for me. (eating food in the morning makes me sick as well as eating late at night).
    Now this "fasting" involves sleep. I don't eat after 7 at night and I "fast" like we all do all night long while I am sleeping. Then when I wake up I don't generally eat anything until noon or so. Why do I do this? Because I have a sensitive tummy that rebels at me if I eat anything before it wakes up. I don't generally get hungry before then anyway. I eat two full meals a day 1500 - 2000 calories. I don't generally snack, again because my tummy doesn't like it. I don't starve all day long and I'm active 7 days a week.

Now can you tell me am I being unhealthy or wrong? Simply because someone chooses to eat their caloric intake for the day in a different manner in which you have determined is correct for you doesn't mean they are wrong. It means they are doing what they have found best for them. I'm not generally supporting Op's post. The idea of fasting and a cheat day sound more like a cycle of binge/purge that could potentially be unhealthy rather than a supportive lifestyle. I just want to point out that "fasting" doesn't necessarily mean an unhealthy term.
  • MFPMol
    Options
    Why skewed? Eating organic/grass fed meat and vegetables isn't clean? Please reply if you have insight or experience, not negativity.

There is no such thing as clean foods and dirty foods. The fact that you think there are shows that your views on nutrition are skewed.

Insight: No individual food is healthy or unhealthy. When looking at the healthiness of food you have to take context and dosage into account. A food is healthy if it fits into the context of your calorie and macro intake for the day. For example, many people may think that an apple is healthy and always healthy, this is not the case. If your calorie goal is 1500 calories a day, and it is the end of the day and you have eaten 1500 calories and you hit all your macro goals, then eating an apple in this situation would be unhealthy. The same can go for foods often deemed unhealthy. If you are 300 calories shy of your daily goal, and under on fat and carbohydrates for the day, then 300 calories of ice cream could be a healthy choice in this situation.

There are a thing called micronutrients, you know, aside from fat, carbs, and protein. So yes, I would say an 80 calorie apple is 10x healthier than an 80 calorie pack of Oreo's, regardless if it fits into your macros or not.
    Yes but what difference is it really going to make when you look at the days meals as a whole and not just individual single foods. There are plenty of micronutrients in our meals that have variety to have to worry about an apple vs an Oreo. Also, they do make things called Multi - vitamins.

It makes a big difference in your overall day to day health! I see a lot of people on here eating lean cuisines and hot pocket for every meal, staying under their calories just fine and hitting their macros, but you can't tell me those are sufficient for micros because your lean cuisine was "chicken broccoli Alfredo" with two pieces of broccoli. Our bodies can't absorb multi-vitamins nearly as well as intended...supplements shouldn't replace the nutrients found in real food. They should be treated as that, a supplement, not a substitution. If taking a multi-vitamin makes you feel good, by all means, go ahead, but you are basically pissing out money, literally.
  • kgeyser
    Options

Yes but what difference is it really going to make when you look at the days meals as a whole and not just individual single foods. There are plenty of micronutrients in our meals that have variety to have to worry about an apple vs an Oreo. Also, they do make things called Multi - vitamins.

It makes a big difference in your overall day to day health! I see a lot of people on here eating lean cuisines and hot pocket for every meal, staying under their calories just fine and hitting their macros, but you can't tell me those are sufficient for micros because your lean cuisine was "chicken broccoli Alfredo" with two pieces of broccoli. Our bodies can't absorb multi-vitamins nearly as well as intended...supplements shouldn't replace the nutrients found in real food. They should be treated as that, a supplement, not a substitution. If taking a multi-vitamin makes you feel good, by all means, go ahead, but you are basically pissing out money, literally.

Who are these people? I'm not a diary creeper myself, but I've never seen anyone post about how their lean cuisine and hot pocket diet is hitting all their macros and micros.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

He means that the concept of "clean" eating is a false one. You can eat anything if it fits your macros/calories and still lose weight/fat.

... except that the added sodium, corn syrup and preservatives in processed foods ****s with both your digestion and your appetite like none other. Have you actually tried cutting that stuff out of your diet? At least for me, just a week or two without it makes a huge difference.

:drinker: I swear, some of the posters around here work for the snack food industry! Okay, I don't swear to it, but it's becoming my pet conspiracy theory. They're so hateful and nasty when people try to get the garbage out of their diets.
  • MFPMol
    Options

Who are these people? I'm not a diary creeper myself, but I've never seen anyone post about how their lean cuisine and hot pocket diet is hitting all their macros and micros.

Haha, they don't "post" about it, but when people on my friends list complete their diary for the day I look at it from time to time and notice people eating the same microwaveable crap day after day!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

He means that the concept of "clean" eating is a false one. You can eat anything if it fits your macros/calories and still lose weight/fat.

... except that the added sodium, corn syrup and preservatives in processed foods ****s with both your digestion and your appetite like none other. Have you actually tried cutting that stuff out of your diet? At least for me, just a week or two without it makes a huge difference.

:drinker: I swear, some of the posters around here work for the snack food industry! Okay, I don't swear to it, but it's becoming my pet conspiracy theory. They're so hateful and nasty when people try to get the garbage out of their diets.
    And some people love to look for excuses as to why they don't have the mental fortitude to have cookies in front of them and have just 1 or 2 but instead feel they have no control and will have to eat all of them no matter what.

Ah, the scorn some posters heap on the struggles of others is definitely so helpful and one of the best things about MFP!
  • MFPMol
    Options

You are creating extreme examples in an attempt to prove a point. I have been here since September 2011 and have yet to meet 1 person eating lean cuisines and hot pockets all day. But somehow in 1 month you see them everywhere? I call BS on that.

And yes a multi vitamin is a supplement. Not once did I say eat nothing or eat candy all day and you'll be fine as long as you the a vitamin. Eating different things throughout the day from whole foods to processed get us micronutrients and for those who feel that maybe they don't get "enough" of a micro then they can "supplement" what they might be missing with a multi vitamin. See how that works?

Well Mr. 2011, I don't need to prove to you that I have had friends on my list who eat this stuff day after day, why would I make that up? I too have been here since 2011, I went by MissMollyMN for 3 years until I wanted to start fresh with my friends list and find friends that had the same goals as me, not just the IIFYM people. Frankly it was easier to create a new profile than to delete 100s of friends who I couldn't support even if I tried. Now I like to keep my list smaller so I can adequately support my friends who are like-minded. I am not hating on IIFYM, if that works for you, fine, but I am trying to eat a cleaner (yes, I know you hate that word) diet and am currently on day 10 of my Whole30. I'm just saying there is more to a healthy lifestyle and diet than macros.
  • kgeyser
    Options

Haha, they don't "post" about it, but when people on my friends list complete their diary for the day I look at it from time to time and notice people eating the same microwaveable crap day after day!

So have you ever spoken to them about it? Asked why they eat those meals? For some people it might be convenience, or cost, or that the portion sizes are limited and that helps them, or they don't know how to cook. It seems unfair to assume that people just don't care about their health. They might not know a lot about nutrition or just aren't good at figuring out how to create a well-balanced meal. Speaking to them and offering to help (provided you actually want to) seems like a much more constructive use of time and knowledge than bad-mouthing them on the message boards.
  • MFPMol
    Options

You are creating extreme examples in an attempt to prove a point. I have been here since September 2011 and have yet to meet 1 person eating lean cuisines and hot pockets all day. But somehow in 1 month you see them everywhere? I call BS on that.

And yes a multi vitamin is a supplement. Not once did I say eat nothing or eat candy all day and you'll be fine as long as you the a vitamin. Eating different things throughout the day from whole foods to processed get us micronutrients and for those who feel that maybe they don't get "enough" of a micro then they can "supplement" what they might be missing with a multi vitamin. See how that works?

Well Mr. 2011, I don't need to prove to you that I have had friends on my list who eat this stuff day after day, why would I make that up? I too have been here since 2011, I went by MissMollyMN for 3 years until I wanted to start fresh with my friends list and find friends that had the same goals as me, not just the IIFYM people. Frankly it was easier to create a new profile than to delete 100s of friends who I couldn't support even if I tried. Now I like to keep my list smaller so I can adequately support my friends who are like-minded. I am not hating on IIFYM, if that works for you, fine, but I am trying to eat a cleaner (yes, I know you hate that word) diet and am currently on day 10 of my Whole30. I'm just saying there is more to a healthy lifestyle and diet than macros.
    You are the one claiming all these people eating hot pockets and lean cuisine all day to try and prove a point about micronutrients. Not me. A minuscule issue when we look at a daily intake as a whole.

You deleted your sn to start fresh with friends that have like minded goals but yet your current friends list has a bunch of people eating lean cuisines and hot pockets. Makes sense.

If you didn't notice, I said HAVE had. Meaning in the past.
  • MFPMol
    Options

So have you ever spoken to them about it? Asked why they eat those meals? For some people it might be convenience, or cost, or that the portion sizes are limited and that helps them, or they don't know how to cook. It seems unfair to assume that people just don't care about their health. They might not know a lot about nutrition or just aren't good at figuring out how to create a well-balanced meal. Speaking to them and offering to help (provided you actually want to) seems like a much more constructive use of time and knowledge than bad-mouthing them on the message boards.

So you're automatically assuming I haven't talked to them about it and resorted to "bad-mouthing" them on the message boards? I'm not calling anyone out. When did I ever say or assume people don't care about their health? If they took the time to even create a MFP account I would say they care somewhat about their health. I am not going to tell people what to eat, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what a balanced meal looks like.