Calorie Goal Community Survey

Options

Replies

• SamiDee12
    SamiDee12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Height: 5' 11''
    Starting weight: 305 (I was dieting for about 2 months prior to starting to use MFP)
    Current Weight: 267
    Goal weight: 160-140 (Although I am really considering switching to a body fat percentage goal)
    Activity level: Sedentary
    Weight loss goal: 2 lbs per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1587 (currently, dropped from like 1650)
    Average Calorie intake: Probably more around 1300/1400
    Exercise: Treadmill at a 3.0% incline with a 3.5 mph pace for 30 minutes, coupled with rotated strength training prior to cardio. ( 6 days a week) - As a note, i just started this regimen this week, and prior to that i had higher intensity cardio about 3 days a week with strength training. After taking a month break from the gym almost, I'm slowing having to up my cardio again.
    Macros: MFP has me set at 50% Carbs / 30 % Fat / 20% Protein
    Although these are my goals set, I usually never meet my carb goal, and always go over my protein goal.

Bring on the criticism! I need it!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    Starting weight: 231
    Current Weight: 184.5
    Goal weight: 160
    Activity level: Lightly active
    Weight loss goal: 0.5-1 lb/week, just broke a 3 week stall
    Calorie Goal (Net): I ignore Net because I think the calorie burns are too difficult to determine w/accuracy
    Average Calorie intake: 1450 daily
    Exercise: 60 min circuit 5X week including lifting weights and HIIT and at least 2 hours swimming weekly
    Macros: 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat

Criticism: Sure if it's helpful
  • tracilynsmith
    tracilynsmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Height: 5 feet 2 inches
    Starting weight: 120 lbs
    Current Weight: 118 lbs
    Goal weight: 105 lbs
    Activity level: Moderately Active
    Weight loss goal: 0.5lbs/week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1200
    Average Calorie intake: 1200-1500
    Exercise: Spin, Walking, Yoga, I try to mix it up.

Criticism: I've done this all before and reached my goal of 105. My body wants to rest at about 120, I have to work hard and eat right to stay at 105. Eating right is the part I struggle with, I've got a mean sweet tooth :)
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Height: 5 feet 2 inches
    Starting weight: 120 lbs
    Current Weight: 118 lbs
    Goal weight: 105 lbs
    Activity level: Moderately Active
    Weight loss goal: 0.5lbs/week
    Average Calorie intake: 1200-1500
    Exercise: Spin, Walking, Yoga, I try to mix it up.

Criticism: I've done this all before and reached my goal of 105. My body wants to rest at about 120, I have to work hard and eat right to stay at 105. Eating right is the part I struggle with, I've got a mean sweet tooth :)

You said you did this before and got to your goal weight. 120 is well within the healthy BMI range for your height. Do you feel legitimately overweight or just want to get a different look? Putting on muscle might actually give you more of the look you want rather than trying to get all the way down to 105. Plus, 1500 calories should still be around a 15% calorie deficit for your height/weight/age/activity level.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8"
    Starting weight: 230 (started weight loss before getting back on MFP so tickers doesn't have accurate starting weight)
    Current Weight: 214
    Goal weight: 150
    Activity level: Lightly Active
    Weight loss goal: .9 lb/ week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 2000
    Average Calorie Intake: about 2000 net, 1700-2300 gross.
    Exercise: C25k mainly. Some Pilates and fitness blender videos
    Macros: Whatever MFP told me, but I honestly don't pay that much attention to them.

Criticism: if you want, but I'm not terribly interested in it.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'4''
    03/07/ 2014 Starting weight: 282.2 lb
    06/11/2014 Weight: 246 lb
    Goal weight: 200.... then 150. Then... ?
    Activity level: Desk jockey
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1250
    Average Calorie intake: 1050-1300.
    Exercise: Taekwondo, boxing, ju jitsu 1.5 hours 4 nights a week, 20-30 min practice other 3 nights.
    Macros: Primal, 70% fat, 25% protein, net carbs under 20g
    Criticism: feel free but it's doubtful I'll read it. :D
  • RagingThespian
    RagingThespian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'3''
    Starting weight: 228
    Current Weight: 191.5
    Goal weight: 145
    Activity level: Desk job with treadmill 3-4 times/wk (30-45 min avg, 3.5 miles/hr) and 1 hr of resistance training /wk
    Weight loss goal: 1 pound per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1600
    Average Calorie intake: 1450
    Macros: whatever MFP calc'd.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'05, about 120-125 lbs. Doing my best to achieve at least a lightly active lifestyle after a long period of doctor ordered minimal activity. I feel much better getting back to my old routine. My goal is 1200 calories, but I couldn't say what I actually eat, because some days I'm over and get the starvation mode message, some I'm under, and I will let hunger, energy, and protein need trump the calories. I don't have a GW, I'm shooting for where my body feels its best medically. Criticism is fine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Height: 5''5.5'
    Starting weight: 183
    Current Weight: 123
    Goal weight: 110
    Activity level: Sedentary (but I actually think I may be lightly active)
    Weight loss goal: 1lb a week
    Average Calorie intake: 1200 xD
    Exercise: Walking around the deathly hills of Wales to get ANYWHERE.
    Macros: 25% Protein / 50% Carb / 25% Fat

Open to criticism, however what I do has been working for me and I've lost 60lbs and counting.

Congrats on the successful weight loss. I'll admit 110 pounds and 5'5'' sounds very underweight to me. In fact 123 pounds sounds very light for a 5'5 tall woman. Is your goal focuses entirely on weight or on fitness as well because if it is on fitness you might want to stop with the weight loss to be honest for the sake of your health.

i'm 5'7 and 115 is Just entering the unhealthy weight range.
    110 is a healthy BMI @ 21.5 but Any lower will not be good (:

Honestly 115 at 5'7'' and 110 at 5'5'' both sound underweight to me. That is the kind of weight you get to if you eat 1200 calories a day long term and lose all your muscle but that is not really a healthy weight at that point. I would expect a 5'7'' woman with a flat stomach to be about 140 pounds.

Heck Sarauk2sf who just posted has a 6-pack and she weighs 160 pounds at 5'6''

If you are below 125 pounds and you are in the 5'6'' 5'5'' range I would seriously consider stopping with your weight loss and switching to trying to put weight on in the form of some muscle. Getting smaller isn't necessarily getting healthier and you guys are both really really low weight and should not be trying to lose even more weight.

Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds saying that but I find that really actually quite concerning that at 115 pounds you'd be still eating 1200 calories and trying to lose weight.

They are both underweight by BMI standards. For comparison I'm 5'4" and 125 at around 18% body fat, and I did lose a good chunk of muscle from years of chronic illness.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Newbie here (my first post)
    Height: 5''2
    Starting weight: 122
    Current Weight: 122
    Goal Weight: stated goal is 115 but honestly would rathe just replace 5 lbs of fat with 5 lbs of muscle.
    Activity level: desk job but with some exercise (see below)
    Weight loss goal: .5 week is stated goal, but really prefer to change how I look, feel and eat--
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1380
    Average Calorie intake: not enough data yet
    Exercise: running after 2 small kids, cross fit 3x/week and just started c25k, but finding it hard to find the time for the latter.
    Macros: No idea, but from looking at my logs so far, I naturally eat more protein and fat and fewer carbs than 'recommended'. I cut out a lot of sugar and white carbs from my diet a year ago, after feeling exhausted all the time. (Not that I don't occasionally enjoy homemade pizza or chips and guac).

Open to criticism and advice: I have only logged 3 days so far and they are not 'diet' logs but rather an attempt to log what I normally eat/do. I thought it would be good for me to log my 'normal' diet for a week to see where I can improve. Surprised that I'm already eating more or less in my calorie goal for weight loss since this is how I eat normally. I have a feeling the biggest change for me will come not from big changes in diet, but from ramping up exercise and smaller changes in diet (like, less sugar and esp booze!).
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'5"
    Starting weight: 300+ (not sure on actual weight)
    Current Weight: 157.4
    Goal weight: 150 or 140 haven't decided yet
    Weight loss goal: Don't really care
    Calorie Goal (Net): 2,300
    Average Calorie intake: Around that
    Exercise: My exercise can be pretty sporadic, but I am trying to be more diligent. I like Zumba, been jogging/walking on the treadmill, riding the stationary bike, & may start to strength train (have a barbell bought just need to look up routines).
    Macros: Not sure on percentages but I usually get around 100-150 protein, carbs are around 200-300+, and fat can vary a bit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 222lb
    Current Weight: 195lb
    Goal weight: 130-140lb depending on how I feel when I get there
    Activity level: Lightly Active (moderately active on work days and just over sloth active on non-work days)
    Weight loss goal: 1.5 pounds per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1370
    Average Calorie intake: 1300-2300
    Exercise: swimming, treadmill, outdoor boot camp style (hills, stairs, pushups, situps, burpees, etc.) - 2-5 workouts per week depending on what else is going on. Going to start weight training soon
    Macros: 30% Protein / 40% Carb / 30% Fat

Criticism: If something jumps out, for sure! Found the IIFYM doesn't work well with my FitBit and with my wildly variable activity levels (FitBit averages my daily burns around 1900-2100). It works when I follow it, but always open to new ideas.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'1''
    Starting weight: 226
    Current Weight: 190
    Goal weight: 130 (maybe 125)
    Weight loss goal: 1.25 pounds per week (aim for 5 lb a month)
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1700
    Average Calorie intake: ? 1700 ? doing TDEE based on Fitbit avg
    Exercise: 3x week weight lifting (starting Stronglifts 5x5 next week), 30 - 45 min cardio 4 - 5x a week
    Macros: 20% Protein / 40% Carb / 40% Fat

Criticism: Open to critique - I might not like it, but probably need it.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Height: 6'0
    Weight: 134lbs
    Goal weight: 160?
    Activity level: Extremely active (Distance runner)
    Weight loss goal: N/A
    Calorie goal: Atleast 2800.
    Average calorie intake: 3 - 4000
    Exercise: 7x a week. Mostly long distance running and running up big mtns. 5 - 20 miles per day. Sometimes gym workouts.
    Macros: N/A

Criticism: BRING IT!
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sorry, edited because reposted accidentally.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    Starting weight: 222
    Current Weight: 202
    Goal weight: 150 or so.
    Weight loss goal: 1.5 pounds per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1750 at the moment
    Average Calorie intake: 1750 TDEE method
    Exercise: badminton 5 hours a week, starting heavy lifting
    Macros: trying to up protein

Criticism: why not
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You know this thread has made me feel a lot better about the MFP community. I was getting the distinct impression from the forums that 95% of people were eating 1200 calories and wondering why they were tired or hungry all the time. Getting to the point where I was contemplating continuing to use the tool but quitting the forums because it can be so aggravating.

Turns out though apparently when you poll people most of the responses have much higher calorie nets and goals than I would have expected based on the common forum posts. :-)
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'1''
    Starting weight: 136lb
    Current Weight: 110lb
    Goal weight: 105lb
    Activity level: Lightly active - Desk job, but walk 3.5 - 4 miles per day
    Weight loss goal: 0.9lb a week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1100 cal average
    Average Calorie intake: 1500 cal (this is
    Exercise: Currently on week 5 of a 12 week cutting programme - Involves weights 5x a week, 15 min HIIT 2x week and 30 min cardio 2x a week.
    Macros: 30% Protein / 40% Carb / 30% Fat

Criticism: Go for it!! :)
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'5''
    Starting weight: 177
    Current Weight: 149.4
    Goal weight: 135 (ultimately 130)
    Weight loss goal: 1.2 pounds per week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 1400
    Exercise: Walking most days. Jillian Michaels Workouts maybe once or twice a week.
    Macros: 20% Protein / 50% Carb / 30% Fat

Criticism: Sure I guess. I keep changing up what I'm doing because I keep getting stuck. Ever since I hit healthy BMI I've been finding every pound a struggle. I've recently stopped eating back exercise calories. I know I should probably up my protein but honestly I rarely manage to meet my goal as it is.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting weight: 381 but 367 when I started MFP
    Current Weight: 361
    Goal weight: 180-ish
    Activity level: sedentary (not counting my workouts)
    Weight loss goal: 2 lbs/week
    Calorie Goal (Net): 2050
    Average Calorie intake: Somewhere between 1300 and 1600 most days.
    Exercise: cardio and strength training (Cardio=walking. Will gradually pick up speed as fitness level increases. Strength training=as advised by the fitness trainer at my gym.)
    Macros: 50% carb, 20% protein, 30% fat (haven't paid much attention. These are just the default macros set by MFP)

Criticism: respectful critique is okay. But typically, if I want advice, I will ask for it. And as always, I maintain my right to utterly dismiss anything as well. This is my journey not yours.