16:8 IF Diet - No results after 3 weeks

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ok Sunshine, fine I have no idea what I am talking about. There is no research out there that shows that eating small meals often is better for you. There is not research out there that shows that eating large meals (which you would have to fasting for most of the day in order to get your calories and whatnot) is bad for you. There is nothing that shows anything about what I have been talking about. <Sarcasm> I know there are studies out there that say that fasting is great for your health, and I won't dismiss that but I will stick to my original point that it is NOT the solution for most people. I will also stick to my original point that it is extremely easy to go way over your calorie goals when eating this way. I am done discussing this with you though until you learn how to use manners to address a person who has an understanding other than your own. Just because you can find research that supports your position doesn't mean that it is the most correct one. I also have research to support mine. And not all research is worthwhile, there have been many studies throughout history that have later been proven to be false and many things have been approved as safe when later were determined they weren't. Anyway, have a nice life and enjoy living in that bubble where you are the only person that could possibly be correct and there is no conversation about it with you.

9422852.gif
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

9422852.gif

This GIF....is...awesome...I feel exactly the same when reading some posts here...not necessarily in this thread...but just generally speaking...need to save the picture for later use...
  • EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Back on topic, after purchasing some food weighing scales it would seem that I have been grossly under estimating some of my calorie intake. For example, I would usually have a bowl of granola pretty much every day. I got the scales out and poured in what I thought was 50-60g of granola. Turns out that the weight is actually twice that! 120g. Waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more than what I thought. Actually, 50g looks like hardly anything in comparison. 50g of the nut granola I have is 250 calories, so that's at least double. Sometimes I have would a couple of bowls a day so that is at least 500 calories extra that I was not aware of! Wow!

On another note, I can tell you 100% that my energy levels have massively increased over the past few days. Last night for example I would usually go to bed around 2am to prepare for nightshift work the following night. I would sleep a ridiculous amount of time - sometimes 14-16 hours and still wake up exhausted. I didn't go to be til after 4am (thank you World Cup!) but woke naturally around 1pm and felt great.That's about a normal night's sleep. I can't remember the last time I got up that early feeling good on my in-between shift days. Anyway I'm hoping things will improve a lot more this week because of more energy levels and better calorie control :-)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you very much for all the helpful replies guys! The consensus here is pretty obvious. I've probably been a bit naive in thinking that I will lose weight no matter what, but of course if I am overeating without properly realising then that's the problem right there. I should point out that one or the main reasons I went for a food intolerance checkup was because of the real bad headaches I tend to get mid afternoon. The only way to get rid of them is sleep. I also feel very lethargic most of the time so if anything chlorella and sea kelp will hopefully give me a boost of some kind.

I was hooked up to a machine called a Dach machine or something? Basically it pass a 5hz electrical signal through your body and outputs to the Dach(?) machine which gives you a reading between 0 and 100. The supplements were suggested to me due to the readings. I'd never heard of sea kelp or chlorella before hand to be honest. One thing I will do though is take at least one probiotic capsule per day to boost the immune system.

Starting now, I will record everything I eat and see how things go. After all, I'm on the best website in the world for calorie counting!

One more question, do you guys eat your workout calories? Cheers!

You need to see a REAL doctor, not one who uses bogus machines and then prescribes supplements based on bogus machine's readings. No supplement in the world is going to fix any thyroid issues you have.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It was suggested that I try some supplements as this could well be an under active thyroid. I've been on sea kelp, chlorella and also 12 billion strong probiotic capsules the past week. I still haven't lost any weight mind.

Hi! I just wanted to encourage you to see a doctor and have blood work done for your thyroid. It took my doctor 3 tests over 18 months to diagnose me. In the meantime, I gained 40 pounds. Get started now just in case they need multiple tests to establish a pattern. :smile:
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OP, this might give you some insight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series2/food_sensitivity_allergy_vega_tests.shtml
    It is about a machine called Vega but the alleged method and underlying "science" is the same.

Basically, it is a modern pendulum for those that frown upon mystics and crystal balls.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    You need to see a REAL doctor, not one who uses bogus machines and then prescribes supplements based on bogus machine's readings. No supplement in the world is going to fix any thyroid issues you have.

I'm not saying that I have a thyroid issue for sure. It was recommended to take these particular supplements as, according to my own personal research, one of the main causes of hypothyroidism is insufficient amounts of iodine. My iodine intakes has increased enormously with the addition of these supplements. It is still quite early on but already I feel like i have more energy. Especially this morning.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    OP, this might give you some insight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series2/food_sensitivity_allergy_vega_tests.shtml
    It is about a machine called Vega but the alleged method and underlying "science" is the same.

Basically, it is a modern pendulum for those that frown upon mystics and crystal balls.

Thank you. I'm not going to pay too much attention to the results as obviously results seem to be inaccurate. I will continue to power on with supplements and also ACCURATELY record my calories intake.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    It was suggested that I try some supplements as this could well be an under active thyroid. I've been on sea kelp, chlorella and also 12 billion strong probiotic capsules the past week. I still haven't lost any weight mind.

Hi! I just wanted to encourage you to see a doctor and have blood work done for your thyroid. It took my doctor 3 tests over 18 months to diagnose me. In the meantime, I gained 40 pounds. Get started now just in case they need multiple tests to establish a pattern. :smile:

Thank you for the recommendation. If things don't improve over the next few weeks then I may well just do that. I've been a little naive and haven't recorded calories. Now that I've started this and also with the addition of food scales then I should get a true reflection of the calories I am taking in. Let's see how it goes. Cheers!
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Fasting has been shown to have numerous benefits like reducing insulin resistance, reducing hunger, and control over impulse eating. I don't know about you but I consider all of those great benefits to diets. The 16:8 pattern is referred to as lean gains but there's also the Warrior's Diet (20:4), Fast-5, and Alternate Day Fasting that have helped numerous people form healthy, lifelong habits. Similar to these diets there's also the Anabolic Diet and 5:2 which are based on cycling high and low periods of caloric intake which have helped people too. I mean they always say the body is made for feast and famine right?

Me, I fast regularly. In fact right now for my current diet experiment I'm eating on one day then fasting for two days. I love it. It's a lot less time worrying about meals and planning how to eat around a society that doesn't favor healthy eating. My body has adapted to the pattern and I'm never low on energy despite 60+ hour fasting times.

I like this approach. I've started the 5:2 method. The plan is to start the 24hr fast (with 500 calories) at 7pm and finish at 7pm the following evening, followed by a day of normal eating (within my TDEE of 2,494) and another 24hr fast.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Ok Sunshine, fine I have no idea what I am talking about. There is no research out there that shows that eating small meals often is better for you. There is not research out there that shows that eating large meals (which you would have to fasting for most of the day in order to get your calories and whatnot) is bad for you. There is nothing that shows anything about what I have been talking about. <Sarcasm> I know there are studies out there that say that fasting is great for your health, and I won't dismiss that but I will stick to my original point that it is NOT the solution for most people. I will also stick to my original point that it is extremely easy to go way over your calorie goals when eating this way. I am done discussing this with you though until you learn how to use manners to address a person who has an understanding other than your own. Just because you can find research that supports your position doesn't mean that it is the most correct one. I also have research to support mine. And not all research is worthwhile, there have been many studies throughout history that have later been proven to be false and many things have been approved as safe when later were determined they weren't. Anyway, have a nice life and enjoy living in that bubble where you are the only person that could possibly be correct and there is no conversation about it with you.

If eating small frequent meals was often better for us and eating large meals was bad for us I don't think our species would have survived. I can not imagine our caveman ancestors worrying about making sure they ate 5-6 small meals per day... IMO we are designed to be adaptive to most anything we throw at our bodies which is why both small meals AND large meals work fine for everyone. You just need to determine which works better for you. To assume there is only one way as the BEST way for everyone is a little foolish...
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    In my experience and opinion these gimmicky diets don't work whats wrong with eating when youre hungry at a deficit it works and the stress fasting can have on the body it isnt worth it
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    In my experience and opinion these gimmicky diets don't work whats wrong with eating when youre hungry at a deficit it works and the stress fasting can have on the body it isnt worth it

Nothing gimmicky about fasting. It is an eating patter not a diet. If it does not work for you then don't do it but do not make the mistake of dismissing it's effectiveness for others...
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh... you are all so silly. lol
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    True, fad diets are pretty much balderdash.

But fasting isnt a fad diet.

Nice try though.

Stress?

I find it much easier than eating at a def every single day and fretting over holidays, parties, get together etc.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Seems like every few weeks a new study comes out with the benefits of fasting.
    The latest one is how it helps reduce bad cholesteral very quickly.

Look up the research...fasting is gaining ground nt only as a way, an easy way, to lose weight (through calorie deficits) and a whole boatload of other medical benefits taht comes from fasting
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'm not saying that I have a thyroid issue for sure. It was recommended to take these particular supplements as, according to my own personal research, one of the main causes of hypothyroidism is insufficient amounts of iodine. My iodine intakes has increased enormously with the addition of these supplements. It is still quite early on but already I feel like i have more energy. Especially this morning.
    I think that iodine deficiency in the developed world was virtually wiped out with the addition of iodine to table salt in the 1920s. Not to question your research but if it saves you some money in supplements...
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Didn't read every reply, but if you might have a thyroid issue, no amount of supplements or foods will be fixing that. You'll need blood work done to determine if you have an under active thyroid or not. If you do, you'll be prescribed medicine for it.

As others have pointed out, most likely your problem is logging calories and assuming you've been eating at a deficit given the time period you eat.

Definitely get used to weighing and logging your food. It will be annoying at first, but you'll get used to it pretty easily.