16:8 IF Diet - No results after 3 weeks

Options

Replies

• EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think that iodine deficiency in the developed world was virtually wiped out with the addition of iodine to table salt in the 1920s. Not to question your research but if it saves you some money in supplements...

I wish that were true but as it turns out iodine deficiency is very, very common. It used to be in the soil naturally but due to cheaper methods of farming (i.e using tap water to water crops) iodine is a lot less than it used to be. Table salt does have some iodine but nowhere near an adequate amount. There is some fascinating videos on YouTube that opened my eyes a little. One thing is for sure. These supplements are definitely giving me bags of energy!
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Didn't read every reply, but if you might have a thyroid issue, no amount of supplements or foods will be fixing that. You'll need blood work done to determine if you have an under active thyroid or not. If you do, you'll be prescribed medicine for it.

As others have pointed out, most likely your problem is logging calories and assuming you've been eating at a deficit given the time period you eat.

Definitely get used to weighing and logging your food. It will be annoying at first, but you'll get used to it pretty easily.

Thanks for that. I actually don't think it is a thyroid issue. This was suggested by the food intolerance testing person as a possible cause of my fatigue and afternoon headaches. Either way, the supplements I'm taking now have more or less completely diminished the headaches and fatigue; for now anyway.

I agree. I think it's more to do with being a little careless with logging calories either at all or accurately. I now know the importance of weighing food. I'll givs this a week and see how it pans out. Cheers
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier than eating at a def every single day and fretting over holidays, parties, get together etc.

tumblr_llyz0yHa341qii6tmo1_500.gif
  • tinaedstrand
    tinaedstrand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Using common sense and following a high protein/low carb/low calorie diet and eat small portions every 2 hours and you can't fail with this diet.i will have a smoothies for breakfast-banana for snack-egg/gluten free pasta or jacket potato for lunch to fill me up-fruit for snack and then high protein meal as last meal,drink at least 2 liters of water per day sometimes squeeze fresh lemon into it.And i am never hungry during the day.if you skip a meal you take away the main function with this diet and your body goes into starvation mode
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Using common sense and following a high protein/low carb/low calorie diet and eat small portions every 2 hours and you can't fail with this diet.i will have a smoothies for breakfast-banana for snack-egg/gluten free pasta or jacket potato for lunch to fill me up-fruit for snack and then high protein meal as last meal,drink at least 2 liters of water per day sometimes squeeze fresh lemon into it.And i am never hungry during the day.if you skip a meal you take away the main function with this diet and your body goes into starvation mode

Sorry but that is total nonsense. Starvation mode is a myth and nothing more. Since I adjusted my diet this week (thanks to the help of MFP forum members) and having spent almost two weeks on plant supplements I have lost almost 4 pounds - in a week. This is following the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet. 5 days I ate around 2,500 calories and the two fast days I was below 600. By your theory I should have been in 'starvation' mode and therefore either lost very little or no weight. You ought to read up on intermittent fasting as you may be very surprised.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    IF isn't a diet first off. It is a eating protocol. Any diet a person chooses can work with IF. I don't care how long you fast, if after you start eating you go into a surplus, you will gain weight. Same thing for if you eat at maintenance, you will stay the same. The ONLY thing that matters when it comes to losing weight is a caloric deficit. So, if you have been doing IF for three weeks and no results. You are still not creating a caloric deficit. I follow IF for the convenience of it and I'd rather have calories at the end of the day instead of waking and eating breakfast. It still comes down to being in a deficit. People telling you to use a low carb diet or this and that. Non of it matters. Those are the small things we think to much about. Create the deficit to get the scale moving in the direction you want it to go. Then, once you the most amount of calories you can eat and still be at a deficit, create the macro split you can adhere to for those calories. High carb, low carb, or whatever. Hope this helps.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's time to log off the internet.

Only when people realize Martin's an idiot.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    What happened to Martin? Haven't seen him around for a while...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    wow...as much as I like some of the beachbody workouts..this is just too obvious...you know there's more subtle way to do this type of ads...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sixteen hours isn't really fasting. It's a long time to have nothing to eat, but I've gone longer without trying at work. I didn't consider it a fast, lol.

The diet will only work if you take in fewer calories than you use up. But any diet will work if you do that. No reason to go 16 hours.

If you like it and it's working, great! But if it doesn't work, just stop and don't worry about that. There is no reason to use it. :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I was hooked up to a machine called a Dach machine or something? Basically it pass a 5hz electrical signal through your body and outputs to the Dach(?) machine which gives you a reading between 0 and 100. The supplements were suggested to me due to the readings. I'd never heard of sea kelp or chlorella before hand to be honest. One thing I will do though is take at least one probiotic capsule per day to boost the immune system.

Sounds like a waste fo time...

Agreed. It sounds like a way to sell supplements.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Um, why not just eat sensibly and work out? Sounds like you're overthinking things.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Um, why not just eat sensibly and work out? Sounds like you're overthinking things.

I wish it was that simple, believe me!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If your food diary is accurate for the past week or so, without taking your under estimations into account, you are still over your daily calorie goal most days.Take an honest hard look at your food diary and I think you might see the reason you have been having trouble losing.
    I hope you get on the right track and the scales start moving down for you.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    So you are telling me that a magic machine "passed" a 5hz signal and from that you got some sea kelp supplements?
    Care to explain how this ISN'T a total waste of time?

I'm open to new ideas but my somewhat extensive research knowledge suggests its a waste of time. The onus of efficacy is yours. Unless there is evidence that it is useful for something, it isn't. There are zero publications in pubmed/medline on a so-called Dach machine. Zero.

Apologies. It's actually a Dietx machine I think it's called. No idea where I got Dach from! It is similar to this one: http://www.allergycarenutrition.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/3373?opendocument&part=3

I looked up food intolerance testing in my local area and only a few places do it. From the results that came out it was suggested that I cut back on diary products and try taking kelp, chlorella and probiotic capsules. I mentioned earlier that I also get headaches in the middle of the day and the only way to get rid of them is to sleep. Presumably this is why dropping diet coke from my diet completely and taking chlorella may help to boost my energy levels.

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but is it possible that you're hypoglycemic?

I am. I have to eat throughout the day or I risk hitting "the point of no return" (I gave this name to the headache and occasional nausea that only goes away after sleep, not just a 30min nap, but a long sleep session). On the weekend, I can get away with having a HUGE breakfast and a small lunch, but i don't like to push it too often. It's all about experimenting and finding your threshold.

I am also sensitive to caffeine withdrawals. I have to keep track of my pop and coffee intake. If I have a cup of coffee two days in a row and no coffee on the third day, I get a small headache. I can do coffee every other day just fine.... which sucks because I LOVE coffee. Our office decaf coffee is a different brand and tastes like crap compared to the regular stuff.

Anywho, feel free to do what you want, but if someone is hypoglycemic, then I would not recommend any type of eating pattern that involves extended periods between meals. The threshold is different with everyone, so you'd have to experiment and look for trends and patterns.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    If your food diary is accurate for the past week or so, without taking your under estimations into account, you are still over your daily calorie goal most days.Take an honest hard look at your food diary and I think you might see the reason you have been having trouble losing.
    I hope you get on the right track and the scales start moving down for you.

Thanks. Yes, since I started recording my diary as accurately as possible over the past week or so I kind of knew I was going to be a bit over this week as I attended two birthday parties in consecutive days. Despite this however, I still lost over 3 pounds which I am extremely please about. I don't expect my diary this week to be over. We shall see :-)
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but is it possible that you're hypoglycemic?

Thank you. I never thought of hypoglycemia. I don't think this is the case because the headaches have now completely gone and I have far more energy than I've had in quite a while. I'm certain this is because of the additional supplements I've been taking; namely spirulina, chlorella, sea kelp and probiotic capsules. I guess it's a combination of these.