Replies

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Physique first.. I would love to be strong too though. But I'm not. :/
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    When my alarm goes off in the morning, and I don't want to get up and at it, it is how much I can lift and how much I want to be able to lift that gets me out of bed. So strength is what motivates me.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It was originally I just wanted to look good.

Now I want to be a Scottish record holder (even if it's just for a little while) and constantly beat my own personal records.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It was originally I just wanted to look good.

Now I want to be a Scottish record holder (even if it's just for a little while) and constantly beat my own personal records.

It's funny how the mindset changes once you start lifting. I started out light thinking I just wanted to be "toned." Then I learned how good it felt to be strong. It frequently ends up being both.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    100% Physique for me. The heaviest and most mentally taxing lift I do in the real world is the 1 set max effort crunch I do in the morning to get up for work. I typically fail on the first 3 go rounds but after a couple snoozes I get the weight up.

So i just want to look good and feel confident, and lifting progressively heavier weights to improve my physique increases my strength by default to a certain degree.
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh! I want those sexy arms!!! Ooooh la la!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Both :wink:
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    75% physique 25% strength for me

at the moment I have to admit, I aim for a nicer physique. Strength is a very lovely side effect and of course I am super happy, that I'll get stronger with lifting, but most of my "motivation" atm comes from the wish for a nicer body.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Strength first and foremost.

As already said, if you focus on Strength and have nutrition/dietary requirements right you'll get physique (To some extent).

Strength is also easier to work for, than to work against my natural physique. I'm sure I'll look good eventually but I doubt I'll ever have the physique I would like. My body just isn't built that way.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    100% sleep. I can't sleep if I don't exercise (regularly, 6 days a week) and it took me 27 years to figure it out.

Physique and strength are sweet byproducts though!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Physique for me. I admit to a certain amount of vanity, but I'm 45 years old, and I want to look good! Thankfully, the by-products are strength and health, both of which I find very handy! :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Physique

You aren't naturally going to get big muscles without being hella strong, so getting strong is just a part of the overall picture.

But I have zero drive to get stronger for getting strongers sake, I'm way beyond the point of diminishing returns on usefulness.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Strength with the byproduct being physique.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Such a personal question!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Physique

You aren't naturally going to get big muscles without being hella strong, so getting strong is just a part of the overall picture.

But I have zero drive to get stronger for getting strongers sake, I'm way beyond the point of diminishing returns on usefulness.

My view right here, Stated much more eloquently than I did
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Physique

I'm about right here- while I know I can GET stronger- and I"m trying to- my bigger concern past July 27th will be mostly on body fat %. I'm fairly strong as it is- so while I don't mind getting a little stronger- it's a very slow process- and I can use more body work.

No reason to no have a both for me.

Also showers.

If I don't work out- i tend to forget about showering. so it's a complete necessity for me to have to work out.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Physique

I'm more along these lines. I manage servers all day so I don't need brute strength for this job. I do like going really heavy for the feel.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like both, after all even an extra five pounds on a lift is an accomplishment, just like an inch off the waist. Teaches me to look for the positive in everything and motivate myself to greatness in each and every thing i do.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Mostly strength at this point. Being a short girl and having been quite weak while I was younger, I love feeling stronger and feeling like I can take care of myself. I love seeing the weights I'm lifting getting heavier as the weeks go by.

Of course I want a nice physique too!
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My goal is to basically not suck.

best answer