Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    s6153s.gif
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has some great FREE strength programmes specifically aimed at women. Try the Jamie Eason 12 week programme which focuses on muscle building and creating lean definition. There is a Nutrition plan too, which I have to admit is pretty strict but does give results.

GOOD LUCK!
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later

there is some great info in here, thanks!
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No no no. Start lifting NOW...I cannot stress that enough. Lift heavy as in heavy for you.

I saw HUGE changes when I started adding lifting to my routine compared to when I did cardio alone. You will not get bulky, you will look fabulous.
    QFT
    Sounds like you're getting lots of good advice.

As for how to start? Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Seriously. Buy the book. If you're going to lift, you may as well take the time to do it RIGHT.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh and the BEST book you can invest in is:

The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First I am about seventy pounds over weight, should I lose weight before starting to lift? I don't want to be fat and muscular.lol. and then I don't know how to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

THANK YOU I NEEDED THIS TOO :)

I'm going to go against most people on here. I find it much easier, to slim way down first then work to tighten up. Everyone pretty much initially gains weight when they start training. I think this is due to 3 main reasons. 1. You will get hungrier and make it harder to cut calories. 2. Most people will feel they can eat more since they are training. (This is evident on here as you are encouraged to burn calories then eat them right back. Kinda counterintuitive in my mind.). 3. You're body will initially hold extra water, which discourages many people and they lose motivation. I've only been totally ripped with very low body fat once. I dieted to go from 183 to 147 then worked out to get muscular and toned. I did it this way after learning that Sylvester Stallone had done that to get in shape for Rocky 3. He went on an extreme diet of 10 egg whites and a piece of toast a day adding fruit or oatmeal cookie every day. He dropped to 155lbs then started training and increasing his calories. I did something similar and went from a 34 inch waist to a 30 with lots of muscle. When I workout and try to really trim down, it is very difficult and requires good discipline because I get extreme hunger. I've done it but it was much harder and took longer. Anyway that's my 2 cents. I'll wait for the usual bashers now :)

I

I'm not a typical basher, I am not going to "bash" you. I see your pic so this is obviously working for you. However, celebrity diets do tend to be extreme as you mentioned. These are not diets or lifestyles that a typical person should go into without consulting a doctor first. This can be a very dangerous change for many people. Not everyone has the discipline that you seem to have, and promoting an extreme diet is probably not a good idea. You're looking at it from a weight loss standpoint rather than an inches lost. Yes, we want to lose the weight, but figuring out TDEE is usually the best solution for those who are lifting. Extreme hunger isn't healthy.
    Even though I disagree with you, I say, you keep doing what you're doing. Just be careful in promoting anything extreme.

Good deal. To be fair, I'm not promoting an extreme diet.! I am pointing out that it was easier for me personally to lose weight first, that's all. I didn't mean she should follow Stallone's diet. I sure didn't. But it's an example of trimming down then building a body when you can focus more on training and eating right, without concerns of scale watching or not eating enough for the training load. This just my humble opinion.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    First I am about seventy pounds over weight, should I lose weight before starting to lift? I don't want to be fat and muscular.lol. and then I don't know how to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

THANK YOU I NEEDED THIS TOO :)

I'm going to go against most people on here. I find it much easier, to slim way down first then work to tighten up. Everyone pretty much initially gains weight when they start training. I think this is due to 3 main reasons. 1. You will get hungrier and make it harder to cut calories. 2. Most people will feel they can eat more since they are training. (This is evident on here as you are encouraged to burn calories then eat them right back. Kinda counterintuitive in my mind.). 3. You're body will initially hold extra water, which discourages many people and they lose motivation. I've only been totally ripped with very low body fat once. I dieted to go from 183 to 147 then worked out to get muscular and toned. I did it this way after learning that Sylvester Stallone had done that to get in shape for Rocky 3. He went on an extreme diet of 10 egg whites and a piece of toast a day adding fruit or oatmeal cookie every day. He dropped to 155lbs then started training and increasing his calories. I did something similar and went from a 34 inch waist to a 30 with lots of muscle. When I workout and try to really trim down, it is very difficult and requires good discipline because I get extreme hunger. I've done it but it was much harder and took longer. Anyway that's my 2 cents. I'll wait for the usual bashers now :)

Nope and more nope - and to the 10 egg white diet - *"&£^* NO!

Mainly because women have a much harder time putting on muscle than men - which means once you've lost it women will struggle like hell to gain it back.

Lifting from the beginning means you will hold on to that precious muscle and look better when you hit you're goal, which may change once you get closer due to how amazing you look with all that muscle still on your body.

I didn't gain weight when I started lifting and if you track your calories you won't eat more.

You are encouraged to eat back exercise calories here because the defect is already built in to your goal - not eating them back means your deficit is greater - encouraging the loss of muscle, something that you're trying to avoid by lifting. Now THAT'S counter intuitive.

I started doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm currently doing Stronglifts 5x%. I lost 8" in 3 months when I started - the scale didn't move but I looked SOOOOOOOO much better. The scale didn't move because I wasn't logging properly.

If you do lift - and I really really suggest you do., make sure you take measurements and pictures - those will tell the true story more than the scales. In fact if you can stay off the scales for 6 weeks after you start and you'll avoid the I've out on water weight panic that stops some people.

I've yet to see anyone post who started lifting say they hated the results (with photographic proof not just the lifting makes me bulky no pics nonsense)

Good luck op :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    s6153s.gif

great contribution.

let's see your snatch??
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No no no. Start lifting NOW...I cannot stress that enough. Lift heavy as in heavy for you.

I saw HUGE changes when I started adding lifting to my routine compared to when I did cardio alone. You will not get bulky, you will look fabulous.

TRUTH!
    Go for it! :drinker:
    I wish I had years ago!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    s6153s.gif

great contribution.

let's see your snatch??

Psh, not without a drink first.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    s6153s.gif

Why in the world would you post this?
  • WAS287GOAL170
    WAS287GOAL170 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...Great info in this thread. Thanks!
  • casperkawa
    casperkawa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice, I am going to have to check out some of these books and websites
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    more muscle/lean mass = higher metabolism = you can eat more and still lose weight!
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for about two months now and am just now starting to see results, the scale hasn't budged and I wasn't following a plan. I started following New Rules of Lifting for Women this week and am loving it. I still do cardio as well at least 5-6 times a week. I haven't been keeping the best track of my food though and that's where the problem lies. The past two weeks I have been ardent about my logging and I dropped three pounds. Even though I haven't seen big losses I feel strong and incredible and my body is looking better already. Don't get discouraged and lift!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!