Elevator Etiquette

Options
madhatter2013
madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
So this morning at work I was getting on the elevator from the 5th floor down to the 1st to get breakfast. The elevator was coming from the 6th floor so I naturally assumed someone was on it. I step back thinking this person might want to get off on the 5th floor where I was. So I'm waiting and the door finally opens, I wait a few seconds more and realize this gentleman is not getting off on this floor. Okay, so I step forward thinking he would realize I'm getting on the elevator and step back allowing me room to enter the elevator. This man's like a stone. Stands right in front of the elevator door, doesn't move an inch and expects me to walk around him to get on. He's the only one on this elevator and refuses to move so that I can get on without having to manuever my way around him. What kind of @$$hole does that. If I'm the only person on the elevator, I'll move to the back of it to allow others to get on as we go through the floors. So I was curious what your elevator etiquitte is. If you are the only person on the elevator, do you stand in the front up by the door and wait for your floor not caring who needs to get on or off or do you move to the back in case other people need to get on or off at other floors?

Replies

• ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I would have at least stepped to the side! Even if he had issues and was worried about being caught behind a bunch of people in the back, he could have moved a little. Weird
  • serendipitys1003
    serendipitys1003 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe he had just cropped dusted and didn't want to you pass out...I'd say count your blessings :-)
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just step in and lean a shoulder into them if it is a guy. I work in NYC a lot and have to play the elevator game often. If they don't like it I just tell them to be smart enough to move...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I probably would have insisted he get out of my way so I can get on the elevator comfortably. I would have held the elevator door until he moved.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I stand in a corner. If someone's in my way, I ask them to move, please.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You should have done this
    9K7BnP9.jpg
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Did you not say excuse me?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Did you not say excuse me?

Oh I did. I didn't say it then wait for him to move. I said it as I was getting on and trying to get around him. He said "oh I'm sorry" and twitched a little like he he was trying to get out of my way but firgured it was too late already so why even try, ya know?
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    just say excuse me then bump the F out of him... technically, you were still the polite one
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm passive aggressive. I'd stand in front of the sensor so the door couldn't close and just stare at the guy.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    elevatoraction.jpg
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Brush shoulders with him, and ask him if he even lifts.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I just spent the last 4 days on a business trip and very single time the people would move. Whoever is closest to the buttons pushes them for others.

That's the etiquette in my experience.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    As door starts to close, turn around, stick *kitten* in the doorway, *fart* - Have a nice day!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Found myself compelled to check out the link... OK, this was funny! Wouldn't it be grand to have something similar to this prerecorded and ready to go in moments like this!

As a daily elevator user myself (of the Symphony Towers none-the-less!), I have noticed early mornings can be a little difficult for riders of "age", they tend to walk in their own world then; this might have been the case for this fellow and you should just let it go and move on with your day. Now if it was a regular thing for this patron, I'd say queue up the Ludacris and go at it!

Don't let the little things set your day... just smile and be happy (you will have less gray hair and frown lines to boot!).

:-)
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thats when you stand nose to nose until he moves
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    That dude deserved a crop dusting.
  • FeeeeMarieeee
    FeeeeMarieeee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I take an elevator I normally stand against a side wall, not directly in front of the door... but close enough that I won't be blocked in