I can't make brown rice taste good.

Options
endermako
endermako Posts: 787 Member
I've tried spices and seasonings. Adding fat free sour cream or laughing cow cheese. I can't get the darn stuff to taste anything except bland. Anyone have recipes for brown rice?

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I usually cook my brown rice in stock instead of water, but honestly I just don't think brown rice compares to white - so if I want rice that is what I usually have. I'll also use other grains (farro, quinoa, stone ground polenta, etc) and things like whole wheat orzo. If you're set on brown rice I think that having the liquid you're cooking it in be highly seasoned will help a lot, so it's seasoned through and through.
  • endermako
    Options
    That is a good idea I use the brown rice because it keeps me fuller longer than white. I'm trying really hard to avoid adding soy sauce too.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people say brown rice is more bland than white. White rice tastes like nothing unless you put stuff in it, just like brown rice. Now, brown rice is definitely more bland than Rice-a-roni or other flavored box rices, of course. I cook it in water and just add seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and some cumin. Sometimes I add some black beans and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt mixed in, but I can eat it without that, too.

Adding low-sodium soy sauce would work as well. I do that when I make homemade chicken fried rice. Brown rice, chicken, frozen peas, egg whites, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and low-sodium soy. Yummy. :)
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Butter,salt and pepper is all I need. I think brown rice is delicious! Try using chicken stock instead of water, add fresh parsely and oregano, some ground thyme, and top it with a little sharp cheddar cheese. No way that would taste bland!
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Half a teaspoon of organic butter adds flavour and softens the texture. Add peppers, onions or spices and voila!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There are these frozen garlic cubes that I love adding to it.

Also, I tend to use it in things, such as a rice/beans burrito, or underneath seasoned veggies/sauces. I so rarely eat it plain.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've started using Indian spices in just about everything I make. Some are garam masala, turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, black pepper, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, even cinnamon. Seeds are best toasted a bit (with or without some oil) before grinding or adding to food. Garam masala is actually a blend, and might be the better way to venture into Indian spices. Turmeric is a bit bitter, but it gives a warm flavor. There are recipes for 'thayir sadam', curd (yogurt) rice. It's usually made with white rice, but brown rice can be used. It can be as spicy as you want.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to force the brown rice and find something you like.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I just use it as a base for like stir fries and the such!
  • potatogirl741
    potatogirl741 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been adding garlic powder and a little lime juice to mine lately. Gives a little Mexican flavor.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Half a teaspoon of organic butter adds flavour and softens the texture. Add peppers, onions or spices and voila!

And this!
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Google 'Alton Brown's brown rice'. I follow that recipe, except I substitute the chicken stock for the water. My whole family loves it!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've tried spices and seasonings. Adding fat free sour cream or laughing cow cheese. I can't get the darn stuff to taste anything except bland. Anyone have recipes for brown rice?

Eat white rice then - apart from a slightly higher fibre content, there is no nutritional benefit to eating brown rice!
  • endermako
    Options

Eat white rice then - apart from a slightly higher fibre content, there is no nutritional benefit to eating brown rice!

White rice is not as filling to me as brown rice. Back When I ate unhealthy I used to smother both white or brown rice with soy sauce and i'm trying to avoid that but I still want my brown rice.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I do a southwest thing to it. I add cilantro, onions, tomatoe, jalapeno, bell peppers...and then I drizzle olive oil, lime juice(fresh) and cumin powder. Light salt and pepper.
    Mix and eat with chicken!

MMM
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I hate brown rice, too so I don't eat it. I tried different types like brown basmati to no avail. Would end up adding butter, salt, and other fillers to try and make it taste good but still would just prefer white. It just tastes like wet cardboard or paste to me.

You could try wild rice or a mixture of different grains. You could also try a different grain like quinoa, buckwheat, or cous cous. I do this in lieu of white rice. It all tastes good and I get to experiment with different recipes.
  • Emedina1987
    Options
    We mix in a little soy sauce, peas, sautéed onions, scrambled egg, and chicken to give it a "fried rice" flavor and we can't get enough of it.
  • justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Last night I was having a similar dilemma and I ended up sprinkling seasoning salt on it and it was delicious that way!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use a hearty beef or chicken stock to cook it in, then I sauté a cup of tri seasoning (celery, onions and peppers) ,1/4 C of pine nuts,
    TBS finely chopped garlic and some Zatarain's Creole Seasoning and 1/2 tsp Nature's Seasoning. Mix it all together and adjust seasoning to your liking.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I just put a tablespoon of soy sauce on it, that usually does the trick.