I can't make brown rice taste good.

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You could also try buying better brown rice. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they sell it in bulk so you can try a small amount of several different kinds without investing a lot of money. Mekong Flower rice is amazing with a sweet scent and taste, and some of the red rices have a much bolder flavor than most browns.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you don't like brown rice.. don't eat it. if you like white rice have that. It really is that easy :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Bland is pretty bad.

Soy sauce makes it taste good. So do those chili packets at Panda Express.

Also butter and salt.

Also olive oil and parmesan cheese.

Also if you hate brown rice, give up. Are you the same person who posted a brown rice thread awhile back? If someone has convinced you that brown rice is necessary for weight loss...it's not.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Definitely cook it in stock and not water. I sprinkle some of Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning on it. Mixed with your favorite salsa works well, too, without adding a lot of calories.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    When I make it in the rice maker, some of the things that I might throw in (not ALL of them at once) are;

Pineapple with the juice
    Onions
    garlic
    spices (anything I think might taste good)
    onion soup mix
    chicken stock
  • bjmurphy102
    bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I add in some of my homemade salsa to mine it makes a GREAT Spanish rice :)
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've found that there are certain brands of brown rice that I just don't like. Try switching to a different brand or test a few out. It'll be worth the investment once you figure out one that you like.

My favorite brand is Lundberg Jubilee Brown Rice Mix. It comes in a purple bag.
  • lagoler
    lagoler Posts: 3
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I would rather have brown rice because it is healthier. So I put a chicken bouillon cube in mine. I prefer the Maggi brand but Knorr is good also :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Rice is supposed to be bland.

Fried rice
    Rice in soup
    Boiled in coconut milk with a sweetener (dessert)
    In inari (bean curd pockets YUM)

Or just eat white rice. Ain't nothing wrong with some white.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I like it with sea alt and earth balance.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Really? I think brown rice tastes pretty nutty and kinda sweet by itself. I've only eaten short grain brown rice though; they're the best imo! I don't eat plain brown rice by itself most of the time; it's more of a plain side dish to pair with a more flavorful, saltier dish of meats or fish. If it's bland to you, cook it in broth (if you're watching sodium intake, mix water and broth) or with butter and salt. There's some nice mixed rice recipes online... you can add chopped up carrots and peas and cook it with your rice too for added flavor.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've started using Indian spices in just about everything I make. Some are garam masala, turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, black pepper, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, even cinnamon. Seeds are best toasted a bit (with or without some oil) before grinding or adding to food. Garam masala is actually a blend, and might be the better way to venture into Indian spices. Turmeric is a bit bitter, but it gives a warm flavor. There are recipes for 'thayir sadam', curd (yogurt) rice. It's usually made with white rice, but brown rice can be used. It can be as spicy as you want.

^^^ THIS. I <3 this. Also, totally recommended.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My family, myself included, will not eat brown rice without some wild rice mixed in. We do two part brown and one part wild and find it a decent mix. I don't have suggestions for spices/seasonings because we never use them. Back in the day when I was living with my ex, they used to eat white rice with tabasco on it and it was pretty good, I don't know if that would work with brown but it might be worth a try.

This is what we buy from Walmart to mix in:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10389381757785808295?q=lundberg+wild+rice&espv=2&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.68911936,d.b2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.LsU8tgs6eAk.O&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=659&tch=1&ech=1&psi=hKygU6voN8KQqgbK04HYAw.1403038849359.5&ei=jqygU-oWj5SoBvz-gcAC&ved=0CHUQpiswAQ

Sorry if I wasn't much help but it might be worth trying for you.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe turn it into something fancy like jambalaya!
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine with worcestershire sauce. gives it a nice kick of flavor.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love it with a little smoked paprika, crumbled feta cheese, and green onions!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Make sure to put salt in the water when you cook it. I use Alton Brown's oven method for making brown rice. Put it in the oven and ignore it. It never boils over, never is dry, and is always done. Sometimes I replace 1/2 a cup of the brown rice with wild rice.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe.html
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice. Cooked plain, cooked in broth, cooked any way. I don't think it's bland at all. But yes, the broth/stock idea does give it more oomph. But probably also adds a lot of sodium.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like just plain brown rice, but here lately I have added some cayenne pepper or some sirracha. Gives it a little kick.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i usually keep it plain and smother it with meat/veggies in some kind of nuke-hot sauce. yanno, so everything tastes like mouthburn. :devil: