Is sugar from fruit bad?

Options
sizzle74
sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
I have been trying to cut back on sugar. I stopped putting it in my coffee, stopped OJ most mornings, and am trying to cut back the wine. I do eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Like today I have grapes, a nectarine, watermelon, strawberries, grape tomatoes, and cherries for snack/breakfast foods. Thoughts?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Fruits are healthy and sugars are not bad. You can eat what you want as long as you do not have a health issue that would dictate otherwise (i.e. diabetes, heart problems, kidney problems, metabolic/genetic disorder) and if you eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Fruits are fine. However, if you're like me, eating three bananas can apparently pack on 3 pounds of the water weight in one day. :-|
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cut back on sugar. I stopped putting it in my coffee, stopped OJ most mornings, and am trying to cut back the wine. I do eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Like today I have grapes, a nectarine, watermelon, strawberries, grape tomatoes, and cherries for snack/breakfast foods. Thoughts?

The sooner you stop thinking about specific foods/nutrients as good, bad, healthy and unhealthy, the better off you'll be. If you like sugar in your coffee, have some and account for the calories. It's fine to cut back on some foods if that helps you achieve a caloric deficit (e.g., I can drink 1000 calories of OJ no problem, so I very rarely buy OJ), but do so if it helps you achieve your goals and not because they're "bad".
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    According to the MFP android app: Yes.

I plugged in some pineapple today and the app was kind enough to remind me that my sugar goal is XX and that I'm over it. Because pineapple.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The sooner you stop thinking about specific foods/nutrients as good, bad, healthy and unhealthy, the better off you'll be.

^^^This...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

The sooner you stop thinking about specific foods/nutrients as good, bad, healthy and unhealthy, the better off you'll be. If you like sugar in your coffee, have some and account for the calories. It's fine to cut back on some foods if that helps you achieve a caloric deficit (e.g., I can drink 1000 calories of OJ no problem, so I very rarely buy OJ), but do so if it helps you achieve your goals and not because they're "bad".

^^^ Exactly this!!!! A teaspoon of sugar in coffee is less then 20 calories!!! Enjoy your morning cup o joe! Rather then completely eliminating foods you like from your diet use moderation and log every calorie, stay in goal!

And no no no no no no no.....there is nothing wrong with eating fruit!!!!! ....stay in calorie goal!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

So much THIS.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

No, sugar is not unhealthy - in moderation.

Fruit has a calorie value so as long as it fits your calorie target - log it and enjoy it.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes. Only eat plain raw veggies. No dip. Just lots of veggies.

FRUIT SUGAR IS NOT BAD!!! Eat your damn fruit it's delicious.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! And I'll be honest, I don't know if I *really* cut the sugar much in my coffee because I went from regular powdered cream and raw sugar to just coffee mate girl scout cookie thin mint creamer so......:ohwell: :blushing: :laugh:
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options

^^^ This this this!

I can't stand when people say things like "fruit is bad for you because it's full of carbs and sugar" yeah maybe if you eat like 20 apples...which is probably impossible.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Do not fear sugar in fruits and veggies!

Actually just quit worrying about sugar period and focus on your protein, fat and carb macros.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

+1
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Processed foods are bad in many ways. First, they lack micronutrients that nourish your body and protect you from the free-radicals created during metabolization. Second, they cause a spike in blood sugar which causes an insulin spike which increases fat storage. Third, the spike in insulin can cause a rebound low blood sugar which can increase cravings.

Whole plant-based foods are packed full of micronutrients your body needs. The sugar in fruit is slowly released and doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar. The fiber in fruits helps you feel full faster and can help remove waste products and toxins. The large number of micronutrients nourishes your body and protects it from free-radicals.

Eats a lot of fruits and vegetables and know they are only doing your body good.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Eats a lot of fruits and vegetables and know they are only doing your body good.

Hard to argue with eat your fruits and vegetables...
    :)
  • VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options

Hard to argue with eat your fruits and vegetables...
    :)

You would think. And yet so many people do argue.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

^^^ This this this!

I can't stand when people say things like "fruit is bad for you because it's full of carbs and sugar" yeah maybe if you eat like 20 apples...which is probably impossible.

But it's not impossible to drink 20 apples worth of juice. That's what I would personally watch in terms of fruit consumption.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just turn off the sugar tracker on MFP. Fruit has fiber. Which is good. And fructose. Doesn't matter.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or have some other health condition that causes your insulin levels to not work properly, then no.