Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    …..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice, good or bad anyone would please share with me.

The vast majority of people getting this procedure (and procedures like it) gain most of the weight back.

If you aren't controlling your eating now, ahead of the procedure, you are highly unlikely to keep the weight off for very long.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice, good or bad anyone would please share with me.

The vast majority of people getting this procedure (and procedures like it) gain most of the weight back.

If you aren't controlling your eating now, ahead of the procedure, you are highly unlikely to keep the weight off for very long.

She already posted that she's not going through with the procedure. It's a few posts up.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I appreciated all of the input I got. So if anyone is interested, here is an update. I have decided against the surgery. Several reasons played a part in this decision. One was that I was losing sleep over it. My biggest thing was that my husband did NOT support this. At the time when I signed up for this free surgery (come to find out I would have to pay for the protein shakes, blood work, chest x-ray AND an EKG) I did not mention it to him. Guess I never thought I would win, so it was pointless to tell him. So I went to the pre-op appointment, and the nurse who did vitals and stuff asked me what meds I was on. I said none. She said, all the prescription meds you're on. Again, nothing. And a third time, all the "prescribed" medications your doctor is giving you. (like I was too stupid to understand the question the first time!!) I told her once again, no meds, and so she said so where is your cpap? I don't have one, I tell her. I had surgery for a deviated septum in my nose. She then take my blood pressure which was an amazing 110/65. She looks shocked, and says this is the first time I've had a patient that didn't have a multitude of conditions as well as high blood pressure. This kind of nagged at me a bit, making me question the reason for this surgery. I am very healthy, with the exception of my weight. I have perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar levels are normal. So why am I doing this? I talk to a friend, who advises me against it, as his wife is a surgical nurse. Came home and started having the same conversation with my husband, and he snidely says, "why are you asking my opinion now? You haven't cared about my thoughts up to this point." That really hurt. So we sat down, and talked, and talked!! He said he would like me to lose weight for my joints, feet etc..but not because I want to look good in a cute dress. He said he'd rather work with me and lose weight himself and we could do it together. I asked if I could have his and our kids' complete support, and he tells me I've always had it.

Just knowing that my physical appearance isn't the most important thing in our relationship has made a huge difference in my decision to not do this. Now I feel I have a new lease on life, and am recommitting myself (and him!) to getting HEALTHIER!!

Thanks to all who were honest with me, and gave your input. Thanks for reading.

I'm so glad it worked out this way! Congratulations on seeing things clearly in the face of all that medicalese...that's not easy! It really sounds like that doctor's office isn't on the level. Also I'm so happy for you and your husband for communicating so well -- it sounds like you really love each other. It's great that he's supportive and wants to work with you on getting to a healthier weight. I'm really so happy for you! :flowerforyou:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Hi. I've recently won a "contest" for free lap band from a very reputable doctor here in central Illinois. I have yo-yo dieted for a few years, losing 40, gaining 20, losing 10, gaining 30. You know the drill. I entered this contest figuring there was no way in heck I'd win, so when they called me to tell me I was a finalist, it blew me away. Then to find out 2 days later I was the winner, I think I'm still in a state of shock.

I go in for pre-op today, and surgery is scheduled for the 3rd. I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice, good or bad anyone
    would please share with me.

My goal is to lose at least 90 lbs, no more than 100lbs.

Thanks for any help.

I hope that appt goes well for you.

I would want to know a lot about
    ~the Anesthesiologist
    ~pain medicine after the surgery

In one of your posts your mentioned "removal."
    Talk to the MD about that. I am pretty sure that it is considered permanent.

Also ask about side effects of living with the lap band.

Good luck.

I agree about being informed re: the anesthesiologist, considering a small mistake can make you dead.

As for pain meds, I was offered percocet but I never took it. I filled the script just in case, but the pain was so minimal that I never felt the need to take it, or anything else for that matter. I left the hospital the same day as the surgery (granted, they said that was unusual) and I felt normal within a day a or two. Of course people have different reactions and thresholds to pain, so...

I appreciate that you have spelled everything out so nicely.

Thank you -- I really tried! :)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have a band 8 years now. I am looking into revising the surgery because I haven't lost. Well, I did, but I gained it back because I couldn't eat solid food for a long time. I've had trouble with my throat and getting food stuck. I won't say it's the worst surgery because I know people who have it and have successfully lost and maintained for a very long time. Where the band is hard is with optimal restriction it's hard to eat the foods that a person without the band can eat. Veggies and fruit mostly. Forget raw veggies, I can't do them at all. No skins on fruit, no fruits with membranes. When the healthy options are limited or eliminated completely, what else is there?

Each person has to make up their own mind but consider fills, are they going to be covered? If not, it comes with a hefty pricetag. If you have problems, maybe need it removed, will insurance cover it? Just some thoughts. Good luck!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    I have a band 8 years now. I am looking into revising the surgery because I haven't lost. Well, I did, but I gained it back because I couldn't eat solid food for a long time. I've had trouble with my throat and getting food stuck. I won't say it's the worst surgery because I know people who have it and have successfully lost and maintained for a very long time. Where the band is hard is with optimal restriction it's hard to eat the foods that a person without the band can eat. Veggies and fruit mostly. Forget raw veggies, I can't do them at all. No skins on fruit, no fruits with membranes. When the healthy options are limited or eliminated completely, what else is there?

Each person has to make up their own mind but consider fills, are they going to be covered? If not, it comes with a hefty pricetag. If you have problems, maybe need it removed, will insurance cover it? Just some thoughts. Good luck!

I'm sorry you've had these problems, but I eat a huge pile of raw veggies almost every day for lunch. No problems. I've been on WLS support forums and from what I can gather, problems like that are rare. Most people have issues with bread and pasta (doughy stuff), not vegs and fruit. I sometimes have problems with dense meat (beef or pork) but if I just slow down and take smaller bites it's not an issue.

You raise good points about whether insurance covers fills and removal. Definitely something to consider for prospective band patients.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate all your honesty. You all played a small part in my decision making process, and for that I say THANK YOU!! Thank you for helping me find my strength again.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I appreciated all of the input I got. So if anyone is interested, here is an update. I have decided against the surgery. Several reasons played a part in this decision. One was that I was losing sleep over it. My biggest thing was that my husband did NOT support this. At the time when I signed up for this free surgery (come to find out I would have to pay for the protein shakes, blood work, chest x-ray AND an EKG) I did not mention it to him. Guess I never thought I would win, so it was pointless to tell him. So I went to the pre-op appointment, and the nurse who did vitals and stuff asked me what meds I was on. I said none. She said, all the prescription meds you're on. Again, nothing. And a third time, all the "prescribed" medications your doctor is giving you. (like I was too stupid to understand the question the first time!!) I told her once again, no meds, and so she said so where is your cpap? I don't have one, I tell her. I had surgery for a deviated septum in my nose. She then take my blood pressure which was an amazing 110/65. She looks shocked, and says this is the first time I've had a patient that didn't have a multitude of conditions as well as high blood pressure. This kind of nagged at me a bit, making me question the reason for this surgery. I am very healthy, with the exception of my weight. I have perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar levels are normal. So why am I doing this? I talk to a friend, who advises me against it, as his wife is a surgical nurse. Came home and started having the same conversation with my husband, and he snidely says, "why are you asking my opinion now? You haven't cared about my thoughts up to this point." That really hurt. So we sat down, and talked, and talked!! He said he would like me to lose weight for my joints, feet etc..but not because I want to look good in a cute dress. He said he'd rather work with me and lose weight himself and we could do it together. I asked if I could have his and our kids' complete support, and he tells me I've always had it.

Just knowing that my physical appearance isn't the most important thing in our relationship has made a huge difference in my decision to not do this. Now I feel I have a new lease on life, and am recommitting myself (and him!) to getting HEALTHIER!!

That is a great update! So glad you are not doing this. And you sound like you have an awesome husband. That's half the battle. It might take some time but slow and steady wins the race!!! Good luck to you!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate all your honesty. You all played a small part in my decision making process, and for that I say THANK YOU!! Thank you for helping me find my strength again.

I wish there were a "like" button here.

:smile:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Now THIS ^^^ is what I call a happy ending

Good luck OP :flowerforyou:

A very happy ending!! Proud of you, OP :flowerforyou: I think you made a very good decision and wish you the best of luck!
  • Migreatlaker
    Migreatlaker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have a long stay with the lap band?