Juniors vs Ladies Sizing???

Options
I'm curious as to what the conversion is from ladies to juniors clothing? I have a ladies size 12 pants that are falling off me and a juniors size 15 that are fairly snug. So what is the rough conversion of these sizes?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    According to the charts in this article on US women's sizing, the dimensions are comparable, like a 11 in Juniors is around the same as a 10-12 in misses. But I've found that Juniors do run smaller since most companies tend to vary the actual fit of the clothes based on size. There isn't really an exact science to convert from one to another, just try on and buy what fits. In tops, I'm usually a small or medium misses, but I have to buy a large in juniors because i have a bit of a larger chest compared to my waist.

http://fashion.about.com/od/stylebasics/a/MissesSizes.htm
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Women's clothing in this country has very little standardization. I wear anywhere from a size 4 to a size 8 depending on the company I buy my pants from. Juniors sizes are meant for juniors, so if you're a woman, you're body won't fit into them the same way. My advice, stick to women's clothing and don't be self concious about the size on the label. It doesn't really mean anything.

Some women's clothing is sold based on inches. For instance, you can buy pants much like men do with some companies. 36 = 36 inch waist. Inseam will vary depending on your height. There's no "long", "normal" or "short" with those companies. Tailor if you have to!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    I don't know, you really cant go by the size any clothes say. Different brands/different sizes. Seems like clothes are sized smaller now than what they use to be sized years ago also. Honestly, I think it is the clothing industry trying to make people think they are smaller than they really are, so they buy their clothes. Geesh, my step-daughter will spend a hundred dollars on a pair of jeans just to be a size 4, she isn't big. 30 inch waist with a blessed backside. When I grew up a 30 inch waist meant you was a size 10. Just my 2 cents anyways.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact conversion, but I agree - there IS a difference. An XL in juniors clothes, for example, seems to fit like a womens 14, where an XL in Womens can be anywhere from a 16 to an 18. Juniors clothes make me feel so much worse than when I try on women's clothes. I also get irritated with the differnce between a womens XL and a 1X.... seems like they should be the same, but they are not. I had the hardest time recently, buying a winter coat. XLs don't fit, 1X are usually too big. I ended up buying one that's really too snug in hopes that the discomfort will push me to lose more weight quickly.
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have heard that juniors are the odd numbers, 1,3,5,7,9 and so on, and misses are the even numbers 0,2,4,6,8,10. And they make Junior sizes slimmer in the hips so this could be why the junior sizes don't fit quite the same.
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Also for junior tops, they make those slimmer in the bust area.
  • Tee_S
    Tee_S Posts: 10
    Options
    It varies....but in general for example a juniors size 11 would be about a womens 10-12 depending. Or a juniors size 9 would convert to a womens size 8... I find that women's sizes fit so much better and the jeans allow for curves ;) Also when you wear womens jeans the size number is smaller so it makes me feel better..lol! I am about an 8 in womens but in juniors I wear about an 9, or 11 depending on brands.
    I just recently starting shopping in the womens department instead of the juniors for pants. :)
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is a conversion "equivalent." What I do know myself is very similar to what others have posted. The various companies/designers try to target the greatest number of people - so due to the nation (American and UK) becoming a nation of "larger" people, the sizes are being "expanded" to include more of the population. So, the juniors sizes are targeted for the "younger" age group and the Womens/misses sizes are targeted to the more mature population. My personal experience is with the more expensive brands, the sizes will be a little "larger." So, I like Worthington and East 5th street brands (JC Penney). I am able to fit into the size 6 East 5th brand with ease - the Worthington size 6 is a little snug. I also have a size 11 juniors at home that are now comfortable in the butt and thighs, but very loose in the waist. I haven't tried a size 9 yet - which according to some of the posts would correlate with my current misses size 6 - but I honestly don't think I will be able to get a 9 over my butt and thighs - something to try though this weekend just for fun.

Vickie
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have found the juniors sizes fit and feel better on me than the ladies sizes but I always feel crappy saying I'm in a size 13/15 (juniors) since in ladies that's only a 10/12!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have heard that juniors are the odd numbers, 1,3,5,7,9 and so on, and misses are the even numbers 0,2,4,6,8,10. And they make Junior sizes slimmer in the hips so this could be why the junior sizes don't fit quite the same.

VERY TRUE!!! Odd numbered sizes fit a not-so-curvy proportioned bodies(or teens) and even numbered sizes are fit for a woman's body.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I personally fit better into Juniors' sizes. I don't know what it is, but most ladies sizes fit me like mom jeans - really high on the hip and that's just always looked weird on me. I'm not sure about them being less able to accommodate curves - I have some SERIOUS hips and I still like them better.

I just got into a juniors 13. I have no idea what size ladies, because again, they all fit weird. But the 13s were to replace a pair of ladies 12s that were falling off.

I say don't worry about the number. If they're flattering pants, then they're flattering. Besides, everyone's jaws drop when they ask what size I am and I preface the number with "juniors."
  • Anniejo4
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 130lbs and carry more of my weight on bottom. I'm also on the muscular side. I wear a 6 at Express, 27 in a designer brand at the buckle, 28 in big star, 29 in miss me, 9 in jrs. I try to not let the numbers mess with my brain! You really need to get past that and just wear whatever makes you look your best for your shape!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I pay NO attention to sizing at all. It's all over the place and even in Ladies a size 5 in one brand is different from a size 5 in another brand.
    Edit to add: In target Mossimo dress pants I'm a size 4. In Walmart Faded Glory jeans I'm a 10 so you know sizing I just ignore.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find it nearly impossible to know my size for any given brand unless I already own jeans from the company. I have been struggling with miss' sizing lately (usually a size 0, some stores size 00- like banana republic, some stores size 2- like Charlotte Russe). I did buy a pair of junior's jeans from Target a couple of weeks ago and the size 3 is a near perfect fit. Confusing, but I try not to worry about the numbers. I worry about how the clothing feels/looks. I truly wish there was a standardization of sizing in this country because I'm not a fan of spending a lot of time pulling size after size until I can find one that's right.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what the conversion is from ladies to juniors clothing? I have a ladies size 12 pants that are falling off me and a juniors size 15 that are fairly snug. So what is the rough conversion of these sizes?

not sure about the conversion however junior sizes do tend to run smaller especially in the hip area. someone mentioned junior sizes being odd numbers and women's sizes being even - yes this is true.

teens typically wear junior sizes because typically their bodies are less curvy and still developing (i say typically because everyone is built differently) and women typically wear women's sizes because of our wider hip area. our hip area is typically wider because it aids us in giving birth - again everyone is shaped differently so this is not always the case.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I've had to go to Juniors' jeans/pants since losing weight because the Misses pants had a droopy butt! I was in Misses 10/12 petite, depending on cut and brand and fit better in a Junior 13 short. It felt kind of strange even shopping in Juniors since I'm 64! But even that 13 short varies with the style so the only way to figure it out is try on everything before buying! I don't really care about the number, just the fit.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and a solid 130 lbs. My sizes are:

Size 4 - Levi's/Gap jeans
    Size 9 - juniors jeans
    Size 0 - Chico's jeans (VANITY SIZING - I am NOT a size 0 - and their clothes are ugly anyway, except for the one pair of skinny jeans I saw in the window)
    Adult tops - medium
    Juniors tops - medium/large
    Juniors dresses - med/large
    Adult dresses - size 8, sometimes even a 10 (I've broad chest/shoulders/back from lifting - and larger than average arms)
    I can also wear a little boys' size 12 jeans and medium top . . . but they're not flattering
    And if I'm shopping "vintage" ladies clothes - size 8-10-12 . . . (also, I think, a result of vanity sizing as America gets larger)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to wear juniors' pants, even when I was a young teenager. I have wide hips and a smallish waist, and I find that juniors tend to be cut in a straighter fashion. So if I get pants that fit my hips they're huge in the waist.
  • TheWretchedFat
    TheWretchedFat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Odds for juniors and Even for ladies! I'm a 13 in juniors but a 12-14 in women!
    Hope that helped :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the conversion is, but I do know a small in juniors just seems smaller than a small in ladies. I generally stick to juniors sizes. I have no hips, so they tend to fit me better.