Why am I stuck on squats?

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You said you deloaded last week. What did you do this week, go right back up to maximum weight? Or did you do a gradual increase from your deload amount back up to the 120? Usually it helps me break through if I gradually work back up.

How long have you been doing 5 x 5? Maybe switch to a program where you aren't doing a back squat every workout.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you're scared to move up to 125. What about putting a bench or stool behind you and do some box squats with the weight? I bet it's mostly mental since you're trying not to fail.

I would take some extra time to do some extra mobility work and come back to it at 125. I'm sure you can overcome it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You said you deloaded last week. What did you do this week, go right back up to maximum weight? Or did you do a gradual increase from your deload amount back up to the 120? Usually it helps me break through if I gradually work back up.

How long have you been doing 5 x 5? Maybe switch to a program where you aren't doing a back squat every workout.

Well, I only deloaded by 5 lbs so, yeah, I went right back up to 120 this week. I only deloaded last week to work on my form, which ended up only needing a couple of tweaks. I've been doing 5x5 for 10 weeks, so I'm not quite ready to go to an intermediate program yet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    You mentioned you're scared to move up to 125. What about putting a bench or stool behind you and do some box squats with the weight? I bet it's mostly mental since you're trying not to fail.

I would take some extra time to do some extra mobility work and come back to it at 125. I'm sure you can overcome it.

I do have a crate that's below parallel and sometimes I'll put it under me just so I make sure my skin grazes it before I come up. I suppose that would make me more comfortable than having nothing but the floor beneath me. I could use my bench, but it's only at parallel - maybe even a little bit above. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Well, I only deloaded by 5 lbs so, yeah, I went right back up to 120 this week. I only deloaded last week to work on my form, which ended up only needing a couple of tweaks. I've been doing 5x5 for 10 weeks, so I'm not quite ready to go to an intermediate program yet.

ten weeks is not much. but you really do need to do more research then just finding a program online and plugging in a few numbers. wendler's program has you deloading every four week. three weeks building up, one week of deload. then when you are lifting again, you aren't starting at your max number again. you're on your previous cycles week 2.

i know it might seem a little counter intuitive, but it works. i'm not as familiar with 5x5, but i think it has a similar process. when i was lifting full time, i saw nothing but progressions every month, on every lift.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

ten weeks is not much. but you really do need to do more research then just finding a program online and plugging in a few numbers. wendler's program has you deloading every four week. three weeks building up, one week of deload. then when you are lifting again, you aren't starting at your max number again. you're on your previous cycles week 2.

i know it might seem a little counter intuitive, but it works. i'm not as familiar with 5x5, but i think it has a similar process. when i was lifting full time, i saw nothing but progressions every month, on every lift.

I'm following 5x5 exactly as it's designed to be followed. I didn't just glance at something online and "plug in a few numbers." My intermediate program will be different from the one I'm currently doing, but I'm not experiencing enough issues to completely give up on 5x5 for a different dude's program. Like you said, 10 weeks isn't much. I've done my fair share of reading and research - I'm just not going to buy another book about lifting because it'll sit there unread like the last one did. Thanks for the info, but I'm not particularly interested in Wendler's program right now.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to add some more carbs in pre workout? Or the day before if you are doing early AM lifts?

I have noticed that when I lift on the weekend, and just do a Quest bar pre gym, I feel weak. like really weak. My sister's fiance, who does MMA in his spare time and is a NYC firefighter (bottom line- really strong guy!) said that he lifts much better when he ups his carbs a bit pre lift
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I'm following 5x5 exactly as it's designed to be followed. I didn't just glance at something online and "plug in a few numbers." My intermediate program will be different from the one I'm currently doing, but I'm not experiencing enough issues to completely give up on 5x5 for a different dude's program. Like you said, 10 weeks isn't much. I've done my fair share of reading and research - I'm just not going to buy another book about lifting because it'll sit there unread like the last one did. Thanks for the info, but I'm not particularly interested in Wendler's program right now.

then pick up mark rippetoe's book, starting strength, which is the 5x5 program.

and if you were following the program exactly as it was designed, then you would be struggling with your squats after only 10 weeks.

are you doing anything else, such as cardio or crossfit or anything that isn't prescribed by the program? it can hold you back.

also, is your form correct? is the barbell resting properly on your traps? are you using a pad? (you shouldn't be, thats what your traps are for). are your wrists straight? is your neck aligned with the spine? is your chest puffed out to help keep your spine straight? do you have a weight lifting belt, which can aid to give your abs something to push against?

you've mentioned several times that you are intimidated about failing on a heavy squat without the aid of a rack. i know first hand that this can be daunting. i recommend getting a proper rack. wait, without a rack, how do you get the barbell on your back?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    biggest issue I see right now is the lack of safety rails.
    but really you need to know it's okay to fail a rep and HOW to do that properly so it's not a big scare for you.

I've dumped weight off my back- it's not ideal - but it can be done.

Read that you have a single bench currently?- see about purchasing a second one- you can set them up as faux rails so you can at least set the weight down on failure (check it first with a lighter weight)

It's an option that can get you through the next few months until you can purchase a power cage or something at home for yourself.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Removed cause you already answered this. Yay for fractional plates. LOL
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

and if you were following the program exactly as it was designed, then you would be struggling with your squats after only 10 weeks.

are you doing anything else, such as cardio or crossfit or anything that isn't prescribed by the program? it can hold you back.

also, is your form correct? is the barbell resting properly on your traps? are you using a pad? (you shouldn't be, thats what your traps are for). are your wrists straight? is your neck aligned with the spine? is your chest puffed out to help keep your spine straight? do you have a weight lifting belt, which can aid to give your abs something to push against?

you've mentioned several times that you are intimidated about failing on a heavy squat without the aid of a rack. i know first hand that this can be daunting. i recommend getting a proper rack. wait, without a rack, how do you get the barbell on your back?

So if I were doing 5x5 correctly, I'd still be going up 5 lb per workout on squats without stalling out a bit from time to time? If that were the case, I'd be squatting 195 lbs by now. Considering I weigh 133-134 lbs, that's a bunch of BS. I think it's pretty normal to get stuck from time to time. If it wasn't, your friend Wendler wouldn't have a technique for getting past a block. Yes, I do cardio, but it's only 30 minutes two days per week. Yes, my form is good. And no, I did not mention "several times" that I'm intimidated about failing without a rack. I mentioned it exactly once in this thread. I have a basic squat rack - it's on the same structure as the rack for my bench press. I just don't have a power rack.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I have a basic squat rack - it's on the same structure as the rack for my bench press. I just don't have a power rack.

You should be ok then.

I would suggest backing off a bit more than 5lb. Go back to 105lb and then restart the progression. If you're adding 5lbs a session, you'll be back up to your current weight in no time, but you'll have had a bit of a breather and things should snap back and you'll blast through this plateau.

The only other thing I can suggest is addressing the quality of your sleep, but I don't know how you'd go about tackling that....

It IS totally normal to have little stalls and spurts. We all go through these things. The fact that you're so keen to nail down the issue says, to me, that you'll work it out and be better for it in the end.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    I have a basic squat rack - it's on the same structure as the rack for my bench press. I just don't have a power rack.

You should be ok then.

I would suggest backing off a bit more than 5lb. Go back to 105lb and then restart the progression. If you're adding 5lbs a session, you'll be back up to your current weight in no time, but you'll have had a bit of a breather and things should snap back and you'll blast through this plateau.

The only other thing I can suggest is addressing the quality of your sleep, but I don't know how you'd go about tackling that....

It IS totally normal to have little stalls and spurts. We all go through these things. The fact that you're so keen to nail down the issue says, to me, that you'll work it out and be better for it in the end.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try a couple of things (adding more weight for less reps, deloading a little and adding more reps, and/or fractional plates) and, if I can't break through in the next couple of weeks, I'll do exactly what you said.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

So if I were doing 5x5 correctly, I'd still be going up 5 lb per workout on squats without stalling out a bit from time to time? If that were the case, I'd be squatting 195 lbs by now. Considering I weigh 133-134 lbs, that's a bunch of BS. I think it's pretty normal to get stuck from time to time. If it wasn't, your friend Wendler wouldn't have a technique for getting past a block. Yes, I do cardio, but it's only 30 minutes two days per week. Yes, my form is good. And no, I did not mention "several times" that I'm intimidated about failing without a rack. I mentioned it exactly once in this thread. I have a basic squat rack - it's on the same structure as the rack for my bench press. I just don't have a power rack.

with people quoting you or bringing it up, i mistakenly thought that you had said that. sorry.

yes, it's normal to have stalls. thats why my buddy jimmy has developed a program to help him and others to bust through them. as you increase in weight the progressions are harder. like i said originally, it often has more to do with the time outside the gym (or in your case the basement or garage) than the actual training. but a progression doesn't have to be measured only by weight going up. if you lift 120 twice this month and then three times next month, isn't that a progression?

as far as your squat rack, is it this?

HF310.jpg

if so, it's pretty easy to fail with it. it can be a little intimidating at first, but you can check out youtube how-to videos on how to fail.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

with people quoting you or bringing it up, i mistakenly thought that you had said that. sorry.

yes, it's normal to have stalls. thats why my buddy jimmy has developed a program to help him and others to bust through them. as you increase in weight the progressions are harder. like i said originally, it often has more to do with the time outside the gym (or in your case the basement or garage) than the actual training. but a progression doesn't have to be measured only by weight going up. if you lift 120 twice this month and then three times next month, isn't that a progression?

as far as your squat rack, is it this?

HF310.jpg

if so, it's pretty easy to fail with it. it can be a little intimidating at first, but you can check out youtube how-to videos on how to fail.

Nope, it's this:

cap-barbell-olympic-weight-bench-with-squat-rack-fm-7105-1.png
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    What about going to Lowes and picking up some sawhorses? Some are adjustable and others fold away when you're done to save space.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77883-72596-SS-29_0__?productId=3073379&Ntt=saw+horses&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=saw+horses&facetInfo=
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Are you working with a spotter? Your rack doesn't have bars to catch the weight if you fail, so I was curious. I fail at a lighter weight when I don't feel as safe.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Are you working with a spotter? Your rack doesn't have bars to catch the weight if you fail, so I was curious. I fail at a lighter weight when I don't feel as safe.

No spotter. I work out at 5AM alone.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Like another commenter said, it's probably mental. If you can do 5 reps at 120, go up 5 lbs. You definitely can do 3 reps at the higher weight then.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    a) 5 lbs isn't a real deload. If you need a true deload, then you need to take weight off the bar. a lot of weight. do a week at 50-75% of what you're doing now and then come back. I am also doing 5x5 squats right now, and I just did that last week based on what I learned doing Wendler's program. Guess what-- I crushed my planned weight this week.

b) If you are not going to read about lifting, then at least make a concerted effort to learn about it. squatting correctly is incredibly technical, and small form corrections can make a big difference in the amount of weight you're able to squat. I don't know if you're doing high bar or low bar squats, but youtube Mark Rippetoe's anatomy of a squat if you haven't seen it yet. It's necessary to be educated about what you're doing. I experienced improvement in my squat when I corrected my form as well. I video myself and watch the videos between every set to make minor adjustments daily.

c) it is extremely easy to build safety rails. there are all kinds of plans online to build a power cage or squat rack for very cheap (under $100). Because you want to increase the weight you are squatting, you are going to need it, and yes--part of the problem now is likely mental. With the rails, you'll be able to relax more.