Why am I stuck on squats?

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    a) 5 lbs isn't a real deload. If you need a true deload, then you need to take weight off the bar. a lot of weight. do a week at 50-75% of what you're doing now and then come back. I am also doing 5x5 squats right now, and I just did that last week based on what I learned doing Wendler's program. Guess what-- I crushed my planned weight this week.

b) If you are not going to read about lifting, then at least make a concerted effort to learn about it. squatting correctly is incredibly technical, and small form corrections can make a big difference in the amount of weight you're able to squat. I don't know if you're doing high bar or low bar squats, but youtube Mark Rippetoe's anatomy of a squat if you haven't seen it yet. It's necessary to be educated about what you're doing. I experienced improvement in my squat when I corrected my form as well. I video myself and watch the videos between every set to make minor adjustments daily.

c) it is extremely easy to build safety rails. there are all kinds of plans online to build a power cage or squat rack for very cheap (under $100). Because you want to increase the weight you are squatting, you are going to need it, and yes--part of the problem now is likely mental. With the rails, you'll be able to relax more.

I appreciate that you're trying to help, but she doesn't need to do more research. She said that she's already done her research and still doesn't know what she's doing wrong. Suggesting that she go continue researching is NOT HELPFUL.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am also making do with a similar bench setup. What I found was this..... it wasn't that I was at my max on the squat itself once I got the weight off the "rack", it was the awkwardness of getting that bar off the rack to begin with, and putting it back on the rack. Because I can't adjust it any higher, it's just not good enough without a real rack.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    what program are you following?

also, 120 lbs for how many reps? like jimmer said, one way to get over it is to scale back, and build up some more.

but i find that many stalls are caused not by the time in the gym, but by the time outside the gym, when you should be resting and eating right .

^this.
    First thing I am going to do is look at my out of gym habits to ensure I'm giving myself the best shot at a good lifting day I can.

If I stall at a weight back off and build back up and stall again, I'd probably focus on increasing my volume every other week instead of going for raw strength each week. But that's just me.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I am also making do with a similar bench setup. What I found was this..... it wasn't that I was at my max on the squat itself once I got the weight off the "rack", it was the awkwardness of getting that bar off the rack to begin with, and putting it back on the rack. Because I can't adjust it any higher, it's just not good enough without a real rack.

Mine is actually at a perfect height for me.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    So if you don't have a spotter and you don't have a rack for safety, how do you you know you're stuck? If you haven't failed, you're not stuck. If you have failed, what the heck did you do?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I do squats three days per week with SL 5x5. I'd rather be stalled out on squats than deviate from the program right now.
    The program specifies that you attempt a weight on three consecutive workouts, if 3 fails in a row then you reduce your working weight by 10% and continue from that point with the standard progression. You said you don't want to deviate from the program, so don't.

Deloading from 120 would mean going to 105.

Anything else would be deviating from the program.

So if you don't have a spotter and you don't have a rack for safety, how do you you know you're stuck? If you haven't failed, you're not stuck. If you have failed, what the heck did you do?
    Without safety pins, I'm more curious about what happens when she fails at bench press.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I think it may be partially mental. You are afraid of failing because you have no safety set in place. Is there anyway you can have someone spot you for even one set at 125? It doesn't have to be in the morning but maybe at a later time when someone is available. You will feel safe challenging yourself with a new weight but have the safety of someone there. When you know you can do a full set with 125 then it may push past the mental block. Personally, 115 and 117.4 were really difficult for me (didn't fail but was extremely close) but 120 was easy in comparison. It felt like 105-110 and I had to double check my plates to make sure I didn't load it wrong. Sometimes a higher weight actually feels easier. I have no idea why or the science behind it but I know a lot of people that have experienced this. I can't lift alone without safety bars. I used to do lifting alone and mentally could not push myself on bench because there was no safety bars and no one to spot me. I would stall at the same weight out of fear of getting stuck under the bar.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Without safety pins, I'm more curious about what happens when she fails at bench press.

you lift without putting the clips on the barbell, lean to one side, and let gravity take the plates off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you lift without putting the clips on the barbell, lean to one side, and let gravity take the plates off.

or roll of shame... er glory.

LOL

I said that's why I didn't lift with collars at my gym and the guy was like- you're asking for it- and I was like- what- asking to not get crushed or ruin my tits?

you're right- I'm totally asking for it

SMH
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

I have failed at a bench press. I bailed out like you're supposed to - rolling it down your body. If it was too heavy of a weight for me to do that safely, I'd just not put clips on and tilt the bar to one side. There's no such technique for bailing out of a squat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I have failed at a bench press. I bailed out like you're supposed to - rolling it down your body. If it was too heavy of a weight for me to do that safely, I'd just not put clips on and tilt the bar to one side. There's no such technique for bailing out of a squat.

Well most people squat with pins/rails.

otherwise- go to your knees- keep your body upright- and lean back- push the weight backwards off you.

not ideal- but it gets the job done- this is how I dump weight when I'm doing weighted lunges and I can't get it back over my head.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

After about 70% 1RM I tend to get iffy about not using the collars. Especially with squats as sometimes the plates move when I am stepping back.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

There are several. Like putting one hand down on your knee and assisting the lift.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You said you deloaded last week. What did you do this week, go right back up to maximum weight? Or did you do a gradual increase from your deload amount back up to the 120? Usually it helps me break through if I gradually work back up.

How long have you been doing 5 x 5? Maybe switch to a program where you aren't doing a back squat every workout.

FWIW... 5/3/1 isn't meant for beginners. You can progress more rapidly on linear progression through the 5x5.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    You said you deloaded last week. What did you do this week, go right back up to maximum weight? Or did you do a gradual increase from your deload amount back up to the 120? Usually it helps me break through if I gradually work back up.

How long have you been doing 5 x 5? Maybe switch to a program where you aren't doing a back squat every workout.

FWIW... 5/3/1 isn't meant for beginners. You can progress more rapidly on linear progression through the 5x5.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    a) 5 lbs isn't a real deload. If you need a true deload, then you need to take weight off the bar. a lot of weight. do a week at 50-75% of what you're doing now and then come back. I am also doing 5x5 squats right now, and I just did that last week based on what I learned doing Wendler's program. Guess what-- I crushed my planned weight this week.

b) If you are not going to read about lifting, then at least make a concerted effort to learn about it. squatting correctly is incredibly technical, and small form corrections can make a big difference in the amount of weight you're able to squat. I don't know if you're doing high bar or low bar squats, but youtube Mark Rippetoe's anatomy of a squat if you haven't seen it yet. It's necessary to be educated about what you're doing. I experienced improvement in my squat when I corrected my form as well. I video myself and watch the videos between every set to make minor adjustments daily.

c) it is extremely easy to build safety rails. there are all kinds of plans online to build a power cage or squat rack for very cheap (under $100). Because you want to increase the weight you are squatting, you are going to need it, and yes--part of the problem now is likely mental. With the rails, you'll be able to relax more.

I appreciate that you're trying to help, but she doesn't need to do more research. She said that she's already done her research and still doesn't know what she's doing wrong. Suggesting that she go continue researching is NOT HELPFUL.
    guess it's a WASH.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

guess it's a WASH.

250px-Wash.jpg
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting, maintenance or bulking?

Some things that are working for me are:

Deload.
    Do more reps and reduce intensity.
    Do a lil bit less cardio(If you doing any)

If you are progressing on others lifts except squats I think you should keep doing them and let your body adapt slowly until you break the plateau.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I too have gotten stuck at about 122lbs on squats and it would feel harder and harder each time. I did deload and slowly came back up to 122 and got stuck again. I then added barbell hip thrust and glute bridges into my routine and my squats went up. So I know that my glutes needed more work to help with my squats! Try adding some barbell hip thrust or glute bridges and see if it helps you make progress in your squat:)