Shakeology? Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Chubby_Bunnii
    Options
    No, no, no, no.

No fad diets, no magic pills, no meal replacements, no expensive gimmicks.

You can lose weight without any of these.

Aww, your so cute. Yes i can! :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your honest replys guys. I was already thinking what a lot of you have already said. I currently use Syntha-6 from GNC and its really great, it tastes amazing. Maybe I should stick with this. Im not sure.

I love the Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream flavor! It's the only protein powder I've been able to mix with just water and be able to drink. I did end up switching to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey because it had more protein for less calories. I don't think it's as good though, and I have to mix it with milk, otherwise the aftertaste is too much for me.
  • Chubby_Bunnii
    Options
    I have used Shakeology, got it when I purchased a "challenge pack" with one of the BB videos. I think whether or not you (or anyone) would like it depends on a number of factors.

1) Are you already eating a healthy and balanced diet? What I have observed is that the people who find the product virtually changes their lives are people who had very poor diets to begin with, so their bodies respond in a positive way to all the extras that are in Shakeology. However, if you were already eating nutrient dense foods then you are probably not going to experience any dramatic change.

2) Are you looking for a meal replacement, or a supplement? The marketing of the product is kind of fuzzy on this point. One 35g serving of Shakeology is around 135 calories depending on the flavor. This is not a meal in my book; it is a snack or a supplement unless I add lots of stuff to it.

3) Economics of the product are related to both items #1 and #2 (and the reason I am no longer using the product). I did not want a meal replacement as I would rather eat real food! So for me, it was a nutrient dense snack. However, I did not feel I needed all the "superfoods", and definitely did not need the MSM, or want a product with added fructose (even if it is non-GMO). All of that meant that it was a pretty expensive snack. If you are wanting a meal replacement (no judgement from me!) then realize that your cost per serving goes up because you really need to add more to it for it to be a viable meal.

I think it can be a good product if you don't eat all that well or find it challenging to get your nutrients, and need the convenience of something that can be put together quickly and taken with you. It isn't really all that high in protein, compared to other products, so whether it is a good choice for you also depends on the benefit you would expect from some of the other ingredients. It wasn't what I needed, but I don't consider it a bad product. I just think BB's positioning of the product is not very clear.

Good Luck!

Thank you for that in depth honest opinion :) Definitely gave me a few points to think about.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    If this tells you anything.....virtually the only people who "like" Shakeology are the people who sell it. (Beach Body Coaches). I'm sure you'll get a slew of PM's from them after starting this thread!

You don't need it. It's just a protein shake. They can't even tell you how much of the other "super food" ingredients are in it. Just buy some protein powder and make a shake if you want.

QFT

....and the fact that it is the nastiest tasting diet drink I have ever had! The after taste is horrible. I have a box sitting on my counter that I should probably post on Ebay. I will never drink it again its gross!
  • Chubby_Bunnii
    Options
    I like the chocolate and that's it but obviously because I'm a Beachbody coach I'm biased :yawn: I personally don't treat it as a meal replacement because nothing could replace food for me but I have one every once in a while when I have a taste for something chocolatey. I use other powders to mix in food such as protein pancakes and Greek yogurt but Shakeology is the only one I can stand to drink.

that's actually why i initially felt like i would do good with a low calorie shake. I want to kill my sweet tooth in a healthier way.
  • Chubby_Bunnii
    Options
    Thanks for all your honest replys guys. I was already thinking what a lot of you have already said. I currently use Syntha-6 from GNC and its really great, it tastes amazing. Maybe I should stick with this. Im not sure.

I love the Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream flavor! It's the only protein powder I've been able to mix with just water and be able to drink. I did end up switching to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey because it had more protein for less calories. I don't think it's as good though, and I have to mix it with milk, otherwise the aftertaste is too much for me.

I use the chocolate milk shake flavor... oh my god... its amazing, but the calories! :frown: 200 calories a serving, YIKES!
  • Chubby_Bunnii
    Options
    If this tells you anything.....virtually the only people who "like" Shakeology are the people who sell it. (Beach Body Coaches). I'm sure you'll get a slew of PM's from them after starting this thread!

You don't need it. It's just a protein shake. They can't even tell you how much of the other "super food" ingredients are in it. Just buy some protein powder and make a shake if you want.

QFT

....and the fact that it is the nastiest tasting diet drink I have ever had! The after taste is horrible. I have a box sitting on my counter that I should probably post on Ebay. I will never drink it again its gross!

hahaha, Ive heard that a lot actually. They make them look so tastey on the website :P
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey Chubby_Bunnii, I have been on Shakeology for a year and I love it, but I want to make sure you understand something about it - it is not a weight loss product. Shakeology is a protein/superfood supplement that can be used as a meal or snack. I have a small breakfast with coffee, workout, and on my way out the door to work is when I have Shakeology. It is a healthy thing to consume and I really enjoy what it does for me so I keep drinking it.

Doing healthy things, like exercising, eating real food, drinking plenty of water and changing your bad habits - that's what is important. The side effect of being healthy is weight loss. So some people do lose weight with Shakeology. Me, I haven't lost a single pound, but that's because I reached my goal weight before I started the product. If you eat garbage and never workout, you will not lose weight, regardless of Shakeology or not.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    If you eat garbage and never workout, you will not lose weight, regardless of Shakeology or not.

Not true.
  • elleloch
    Options
    If you eat garbage and never workout, you will not lose weight, regardless of Shakeology or not.

Not true.

Ugh. Let me rephrase: If you do not change your lifestyle, you will remain the same. Which is true if you are drinking Shakeology or not drinking Shakeology.

You shouldn't seek out things you perceive will make this journey easy. It's not easy. It takes time and effort and consistency.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey Chubby_Bunnii, I have been on Shakeology for a year and I love it, but I want to make sure you understand something about it - it is not a weight loss product. Shakeology is a protein/superfood supplement that can be used as a meal or snack. I have a small breakfast with coffee, workout, and on my way out the door to work is when I have Shakeology. It is a healthy thing to consume and I really enjoy what it does for me so I keep drinking it.

Doing healthy things, like exercising, eating real food, drinking plenty of water and changing your bad habits - that's what is important. The side effect of being healthy is weight loss. So some people do lose weight with Shakeology. Me, I haven't lost a single pound, but that's because I reached my goal weight before I started the product. If you eat garbage and never workout, you will not lose weight, regardless of Shakeology or not.

You do realize that Shakeology is overpriced garbage, right? And if you say it's not, how many of the 70+ "superfoods" are anywhere near an efficacious dosage for humans?
  • elleloch
    Options

You do realize that Shakeology is overpriced garbage, right? And if you say it's not, how many of the 70+ "superfoods" are anywhere near an efficacious dosage for humans?

I'm not really interested in debating foods people choose to eat here. People can eat whatever they want. Have a great day!
  • KylaDenay
    Options

Not true.

Ugh. Let me rephrase: If you do not change your lifestyle, you will remain the same. Which is true if you are drinking Shakeology or not drinking Shakeology.

You shouldn't seek out things you perceive will make this journey easy. It's not easy. It takes time and effort and consistency.

Now that I know how to weigh everything and use the MFP tools properly it is pretty easy. I also did not change my lifestyle. I only eat less (of the same foods I gained weight with) then what I did before. I workout, but always have. So no lifestyle changes here. Nope no sir. I only live once!
  • elleloch
    Options
    See, I guess we differ on semantics? You eat less of the same foods. I'd call that a change.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Not worth my time
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I want to know what the strawberry flavor tastes like. I recently bought the vanilla flavor and find it quite awful. My standards for taste are rather low so I was surprised that I hated vanilla so much. It tastes like a plain shakeology without any flavor masking the bad taste (i.e. chocolate).
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
    b) Requests or solicitations for donations are also not allowed. This includes requesting contributions to “pooled fund” competitions, requests for votes in any venue (online contests, etc.), and even requests for charitable contributions. As you can imagine, we have a lot of people who would like to raise money for worthy causes through the site. As much as we'd like to support these causes, if we were to allow requests for donations, the forums would quickly become full of such requests which would take away from the main purpose of the forums - to support one another.
    c) Posts or messages to members promoting websites that compete with MyFitnessPal are also prohibited.

14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.

b) Requests or solicitations for donations are also not allowed. This includes requesting contributions to “pooled fund” competitions, requests for votes in any venue (online contests, etc.), and even requests for charitable contributions. As you can imagine, we have a lot of people who would like to raise money for worthy causes through the site. As much as we'd like to support these causes, if we were to allow requests for donations, the forums would quickly become full of such requests which would take away from the main purpose of the forums - to support one another.

c) Posts or messages to members promoting websites that compete with MyFitnessPal are also prohibited.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    All i can tell you is to go for Herbalife instead, its still the only one out there that has been scientifically proven to be healthy. One of my clients lost 36lbs in a month using Herbalife with moderate training 5X a week and i use it myself, as a trainer that's the only meal replacement I'll advise you yo take.. Inbox for more details.

OMG and here is the Herbalife sales person too. Eat real food. You'll feel much more satisfied and as a bonus you will know exactly what is in it instead of them making up a powdered product replacing food that you honestly don't know what is in it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I'm not really interested in debating foods people choose to eat here. People can eat whatever they want. Have a great day!

There is nothing to debate, Shakeology is a waste of money...

You are correct though, people can eat and spend their money on whatever they want. If you want to waste your money on a worthless product so be it.

I feel sad for the people who believe they need this stuff to succeed and I feel anger towards the crooks taking their money in the process...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    All i can tell you is to go for Herbalife instead, its still the only one out there that has been scientifically proven to be healthy. One of my clients lost 36lbs in a month using Herbalife with moderate training 5X a week and i use it myself, as a trainer that's the only meal replacement I'll advise you yo take.. Inbox for more details.

Pedal your garbage somewhere else... and I have just reported you so please go away.