If Nickelback sucks so bad...

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    They are excellent live. Don't understand the hate. Oh well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    they are bubble gum "rock"ish... a lot of people tend to like mid-range talent, that's why they get played a lot.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you don't sing along when "Rockstar" comes on then we can't be friends.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    NIckelback and rock should never be used in the same sentence.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well, it's midnight, damn right, we're wound up too tight
    I've got a fist full of whiskey, the bottle just bit me
    Oh, that *kitten* makes me bat-*kitten* crazy
    We've got no fear, no doubt, all-in, balls out

We're going off tonight to kick out every light
    Take anything we want, drink everything in sight
    We're going 'til the world stops turning
    While we burn it to the ground tonight

We're screaming like demons, swinging from the ceiling
    I got a fist full of fifties, tequila just hit me
    Oh, we got no class, no taste, no shirt, and *kitten* faced
    We got 'em lined up, shot down, firing back straight crown

NOW, WHO HASN'T IDENTIFIED WITH THAT, AT LEAST ONCE IN THEIR LIFE??!!!
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I dont get the nickelback hate... I've always liked them

^this
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Catchy tunes, great to have a few beers to, and not a whole lot of thought has to go into listening to their music. Not the greatest band, but enjoyable none the less.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Musical taste is subjective, that being said they really do suck!!!

kdnKbVu.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's better than country music

Not True

FIFY
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6wj9sBfRA1qzj4mzo2_500.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    687c37401fd79cf2695a52afefd5ee51.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6wj9sBfRA1qzj4mzo2_500.gif

I like dabs of both so I didn't really have anything for that reply.
  • RoxyDisaster
    RoxyDisaster Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    at least its not coldplay =X
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There are two main reasons why I dislike Nickleback.

First, during the time that Nickelback became popular, post-grunge wave was still dominating the alternative rock scene. During this time, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers were all equally huge. Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers (kinda) changed their styles with the time. Nickelback I believe failed to do that.

For me, bands like Nickelback, Shinedown, Saving Abel, Hinder sound very monotonous and boring. All of their sounds follow a very similar formula. If you youtube the Nickelback formula, you'll see a lot of parodies on the band.

I also think that Nickelback is "safe rock" too. Being a "safe" band I think they sacrificed a lot of their artistic ability to be popular and radio friendly.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I don't automatically change the station if a Nickelback song comes on. From me, that is a compliment. Some of their songs sound too much the same, but a lot of bands and artists are like that.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I really liked the first few CD's in the mid 90's. "Curb" and "The State". The next one, "Silver Side Up" was just ok for me. I haven't been blown away by anything since, but I still like them and listen to them.
    I caught a concert on AXSTV a few months ago, I think they were in Sturgis maybe? I thought it was really good.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    There are two main reasons why I dislike Nickleback.

First, during the time that Nickelback became popular, post-grunge wave was still dominating the alternative rock scene. During this time, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers were all equally huge. Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers (kinda) changed their styles with the time. Nickelback I believe failed to do that.

For me, bands like Nickelback, Shinedown, Saving Abel, Hinder sound very monotonous and boring. All of their sounds follow a very similar formula. If you youtube the Nickelback formula, you'll see a lot of parodies on the band.

I also think that Nickelback is "safe rock" too. Being a "safe" band I think they sacrificed a lot of their artistic ability to be popular and radio friendly.

which equals *singing songy voice* Money!!!!

I just don't listen to the stations Nickelback come on... So I really don't have a like or dislike for them... It's either Country or Hip-hoppy pop stuff.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    It goes far beyond airtime.

They're one of the most commercially successful bands in Canadian history with 50 million albums sold worldwide. That's a real number, Google it. Fifty million albums sold ranking them the 11th best selling band and ranked second as the best selling "foreign" band in the US. Who was #1? The Beatles.

They had 4 albums listed on Billboards top albums of the decade which gave them the coveted title of "The best rock group of the decade" by Billboard.

They've had countless albums top the charts in the both the US and Canada and they've won like 10+ Juno awards.

I'm not even a fan of Nickelback either way, I'm impartial but the hate they get is just dumb. If you can't gauge the success of a band via the album sales which equates to people enjoying their music, then what metric would you use?

your stats are wrong (source i imagine) the stones have 68 million albums sold
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I commend them for being successful. They seem to know what they're doing and know how to cater to the what their fans want. Which is precisely why I'm not a fan of them anymore. I like a band that progresses and evolves their sound with each album. After Nickelback's 2nd major label album "Silver Side Up", they started making the SAME record over and over again with the same types of lyrical content. They got boring to me. The only song I can tolerate by them that was released AFTER "Leader of Men" is the tribute they did to Dimebag Darrell "Side of a Bullet".
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nickelback is great. It's just that collectively, the internet community is a teenager with a complex. For some reason it is popular to trash-talk anything or anyone that is popular in real life.

Albums don't sell themselves.