I hate yogurt

Options
Today was day one of trying to make me like yogurt for the 8239892nd time.
I decided I hate it. Definitely hate it. I've given it far too many tries over the years. The greek yogurt I tried today pretty much turned me off from trying again anytime soon. It looked, tasted, and smelled like butt, even though it wasn't past its expiration date. I tried to like it, I really did. I even found this gold star that summarizes my efforts:

4756207+_9a7958b39fb87b7bc0fbb8f435ea162d.png

How can I be sneaky and sneak more yogurt into my macros, without having to eat it straight up? I've tried it in smoothies and enjoy that, but there has to be other ways out there. Other than froyo. I unfortunately cannot live my life through smoothies and froyo.
[Edit]: I would like to clarify that I do not know what butt tastes like. It was merely an educated guess.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you don't like it- don't eat it.

But honestly I'm way more curious as to how you know what butt tastes like.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I made an educated guess as to what it tasted like, because the taste reminded me of an old fart you smell in an elevator.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I made an educated guess as to what it tasted like, because the taste reminded me of an old fart you smell in an elevator.

LMFAO nice.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Get plain yogurt, and even better Greek, and add ranch packets, french onion soup, seasonings like that to dip veggies in. Doesn't sound like it's a texture thing for you so this might work. I've noticed recently that Oikos has yogurt dips now, but I've been doing this for years and loving it.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I mix a bunch of stuff in my yogurt - seeds, dates, raisins, craisins, granola... I think it's pretty good. Raspberry fage with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and dates may as well be pie.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Get plain yogurt, and even better Greek, and add ranch packets, french onion soup, seasonings like that to dip veggies in. Doesn't sound like it's a texture thing for you so this might work. I've noticed recently that Oikos has yogurt dips now, but I've been doing this for years and loving it.

You are a genius.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating?? :tongue:

If it's fat free, that could be part of the problem - go for full fat, or at least 2%.

I add the plain Greek (Trader Joe's or Faje are my faves) to my oatmeal (with fruit, honey, nuts and cinnamon), use it in place of sour cream on Mexican food, throw it in smoothies, etc. To eat by itself, I like the flavored varieties from Trader Joe's, or the cream top Brown Cow brand is tasty.

Sometimes I'll eat the plain Greek yogurt for a snack - just add fruit and honey. OR, make it super tasty & stir in a spoonful of Nutella then top it with raspberries or strawberries!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating?? :tongue:

If it's fat free, that could be part of the problem - go for full fat, or at least 2%.

I add the plain Greek (Trader Joe's or Faje are my faves) to my oatmeal (with fruit, honey, nuts and cinnamon), use it in place of sour cream on Mexican food, throw it in smoothies, etc. To eat by itself, I like the flavored varieties from Trader Joe's, or the cream top Brown Cow brand is tasty.

Sometimes I'll eat the plain Greek yogurt for a snack - just add fruit and honey. OR, make it super tasty & stir in a spoonful of Nutella then top it with raspberries or strawberries!

They told me it was chocolate!

Haha yes, it was fat free. I could have sworn I grabbed a fat version (I only use nonfat for my smoothies, and wanted to try one with some fat in it, since I was going to pair it with fruit and granola), but it was a fat free vanilla Chobani.

I've been hearing a lot about Fage; I think I'll have to give it a try! Oikos has gotten some positive reviews too.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you're forcing yourself to eat something you can't stand?
    I'm just curious. :smile:
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Well, I'm currently on Depo; I'm on it to help with my horrendously painful monthly cycle. The doctor has warned that it can cause thinning to the bones in some patients, and encouraged me to up my calcium. I eat cheese, get a splash of milk in my daily coffee, ect, but I want to incorporate more dairy into my diet. I don't just want to be taking calcium pills and relying on those.

Plus, I know it's good for you! So I figured, if I can make myself like swiss, I can at least try to incorporate it into my foods! In smoothie/frozen yogurt form, I'm fine. But just trying to find ways that I can hide it in my meals and still get a little more calcium into my days.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why you think you need to have yogurt in your diet? I don't eat things I don't like so you shouldn't feel like you need to either.

Although with that said, I use greek yogurt to make protein pancakes. Ya like pancakes?

3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1/4 cup flour, white or wheat or whatever kind you want
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract

combine the dry ingredients (flour and protein powder) in one bowl and then the yogurt, egg white (or whole egg, doesn't matter) and vanilla in another. Then combine both and cook the mixture like pancakes.

Fruit, nut butter, maple syrup, whatever you like on pancakes is awesome and you won't be able to taste or tell there is yogurt in it :)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm currently on Depo; I'm on it to help with my horrendously painful monthly cycle. The doctor has warned that it can cause thinning to the bones in some patients, and encouraged me to up my calcium. I eat cheese, get a splash of milk in my daily coffee, ect, but I want to incorporate more dairy into my diet. I don't just want to be taking calcium pills and relying on those.

Plus, I know it's good for you! So I figured, if I can make myself like swiss, I can at least try to incorporate it into my foods! In smoothie/frozen yogurt form, I'm fine. But just trying to find ways that I can hide it in my meals and still get a little more calcium into my days.

There are plenty of other foods high in calcium, so I would say research that and/or take a calcium supplement, no need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why you think you need to have yogurt in your diet? I don't eat things I don't like so you shouldn't feel like you need to either.

Although with that said, I use greek yogurt to make protein pancakes. Ya like pancakes?

3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract

combine the dry ingredients (flour and protein powder) in one bowl and then the yogurt, egg white (or whole egg, doesn't matter) and vanilla in another. Then combine both and cook the mixture like pancakes.

Fruit, nut butter, maple syrup, whatever you like on pancakes is awesome and you won't be able to taste or tell there is yogurt in it :)

Just explained above (probably didn't see, since we posted around the same time!). Trying to get more calcium into my diet without resorting to popping calcium pills daily.

I am a fan of pancakes...I kind of want to try that!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Ah... Sorry you're going through that. I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt myself.
    I actually really like Dannon Lite and Fit Vanilla. But I admit, I put a packet of sugar or stevia in it. Yogurt isn't sweet enough for me. It's a nice smooth yogurt. Kind of like pudding. I add a couple of tablespoons of Jiff whipped PB & Chocolate! So Good!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Lol yeah after I posted I noticed :) tryyyyyy the pancakes. That recipe is only like 315 calories for ALL the pancakes. Any toppings are just yummy extras. BONUS
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt always tastes gross to me. I love vanilla flavored yogurt! The yogurt with the fruit pre-mixed squicks me out a little because I know that fruit is old. Fresh fruit in yogurt is good though!

Try a different flavor that's not plain.
  • dezbie
    dezbie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your struggle I solely enjoy yogurt in smoothies or in frozen form. I have tried to like it over and over. And for the people who ask why, yogurt has healthy bacteria and is a great healthy snack alternative. I really want to like it but I just don't.. But my nutritionist recommended I use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream ( because I love mexican food) and it is awesome for that. It's not even a noticeable difference, my boyfriend and I just tried it on taco night this week and even he liked it. So if you can just sub you sour cream you'd use on taco or quesdillas for plain greek yogurt that's one great way to sneak it in!
  • dezbie
    dezbie Posts: 19 Member
    Options

3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract

This sounds awesome! How many servings will it make?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So don't eat it...? I don't understand the problem. It is not necessary for a healthy diet. I hate fish, so I avoid it entirely. Last time I checked, I'm still healthy, and am meeting all of my goals.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    So don't eat it...? I don't understand the problem. It is not necessary for a healthy diet. I hate fish, so I avoid it entirely. Last time I checked, I'm still healthy, and am meeting all of my goals.

I want to incorporate it in my diet.