I hate yogurt

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your struggle I solely enjoy yogurt in smoothies or in frozen form. I have tried to like it over and over. And for the people who ask why, yogurt has healthy bacteria and is a great healthy snack alternative. I really want to like it but I just don't.. But my nutritionist recommended I use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream ( because I love mexican food) and it is awesome for that. It's not even a noticeable difference, my boyfriend and I just tried it on taco night this week and even he liked it. So if you can just sub you sour cream you'd use on taco or quesdillas for plain greek yogurt that's one great way to sneak it in!

Thanks! I've seen that suggested a few times on here. I wonder how it would be if I mixed it in with some sour cream. :B
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Plain yogurt always tastes gross to me. I love vanilla flavored yogurt! The yogurt with the fruit pre-mixed squicks me out a little because I know that fruit is old. Fresh fruit in yogurt is good though!

Try a different flavor that's not plain.

It was vanilla, surprisingly! Someone else pointed out another factor that may have lead to me not liking it: it was fat free. I accidentally grabbed the wrong container!
    But I definitely feel you on the flavor thing. I definitely need something in there! I don't even make my smoothies without a flavored yogurt.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why you think you need to have yogurt in your diet? I don't eat things I don't like so you shouldn't feel like you need to either.

Although with that said, I use greek yogurt to make protein pancakes. Ya like pancakes?

3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1/4 cup flour, white or wheat or whatever kind you want
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract

combine the dry ingredients (flour and protein powder) in one bowl and then the yogurt, egg white (or whole egg, doesn't matter) and vanilla in another. Then combine both and cook the mixture like pancakes.

Fruit, nut butter, maple syrup, whatever you like on pancakes is awesome and you won't be able to taste or tell there is yogurt in it :)

This sounds awesome! How many servings will it make?

One recipe is typically one serving - 315 calories for the whole recipe. I always eat them all (typically makes 6 small-mediumish pancakes) but I'm always full afterward. You could eat three, and freeze the other three for later! :)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why you think you need to have yogurt in your diet? I don't eat things I don't like so you shouldn't feel like you need to either.

Although with that said, I use greek yogurt to make protein pancakes. Ya like pancakes?

3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract

combine the dry ingredients (flour and protein powder) in one bowl and then the yogurt, egg white (or whole egg, doesn't matter) and vanilla in another. Then combine both and cook the mixture like pancakes.

Fruit, nut butter, maple syrup, whatever you like on pancakes is awesome and you won't be able to taste or tell there is yogurt in it :)

One recipe is typically one serving - 315 calories for the whole recipe. I always eat them all (typically makes 6 small-mediumish pancakes) but I'm always full afterward. You could eat three, and freeze the other three for later! :)

Genius! Thank you!
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You know, the gummy calcium vitamins are REALLY good. I feel like I get to eat candy when I go for those. Just saying if you need another way to get some calcium.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    You know, the gummy calcium vitamins are REALLY good. I feel like I get to eat candy when I go for those. Just saying if you need another way to get some calcium.

I'm hoping to go the food way first! I'm generally getting a 1/3 to 1/2 of my daily calcium needs (from a quick skim of my diary), so I'm hoping that upping a bit of my dairy will bring me close enough to how much I should be getting per day. :)

Vitamins/pills will be the resort though, if I can't!
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    if you don't like it you don't have to eat it!

I think it's amazing and just mix it with anything i have around that might go.... fruit, honey, nut butters, whatever.

or you could try making these brownies : http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/06/10/skinny-peanut-butter-swirl-brownies/

super yummy and don't taste like yoghurt at all
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    if you don't like it you don't have to eat it!

I think it's amazing and just mix it with anything i have around that might go.... fruit, honey, nut butters, whatever.

or you could try making these brownies : http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/06/10/skinny-peanut-butter-swirl-brownies/

super yummy and don't taste like yoghurt at all

I'm hoping to avoid eating it plain; that's what I can't stand! When it's hidden in smoothies or in frozen form, I love it. I'll definitely be trying that recipe out as well!
  • Muffie22
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating?? :tongue:

If it's fat free, that could be part of the problem - go for full fat, or at least 2%.

I add the plain Greek (Trader Joe's or Faje are my faves) to my oatmeal (with fruit, honey, nuts and cinnamon), use it in place of sour cream on Mexican food, throw it in smoothies, etc. To eat by itself, I like the flavored varieties from Trader Joe's, or the cream top Brown Cow brand is tasty.

Sometimes I'll eat the plain Greek yogurt for a snack - just add fruit and honey. OR, make it super tasty & stir in a spoonful of Nutella then top it with raspberries or strawberries!

They told me it was chocolate!

Haha yes, it was fat free. I could have sworn I grabbed a fat version (I only use nonfat for my smoothies, and wanted to try one with some fat in it, since I was going to pair it with fruit and granola), but it was a fat free vanilla Chobani.

I've been hearing a lot about Fage; I think I'll have to give it a try! Oikos has gotten some positive reviews too.

Also yes. Nothing compares to fage. has to be the full fat version though... tried the fat free version the other day (it's really difficult to find places that sell the full fat version :( ) and it tasted nasssstyyy
  • Muffie22
    Options
    also maybe try this: http://damndelicious.net/2013/07/26/greek-yogurt-popsicles-and-a-blendtec-giveaway/

Not tried making them yet but looks pretty good :)
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm currently on Depo; I'm on it to help with my horrendously painful monthly cycle. The doctor has warned that it can cause thinning to the bones in some patients, and encouraged me to up my calcium. I eat cheese, get a splash of milk in my daily coffee, ect, but I want to incorporate more dairy into my diet. I don't just want to be taking calcium pills and relying on those.

Plus, I know it's good for you! So I figured, if I can make myself like swiss, I can at least try to incorporate it into my foods! In smoothie/frozen yogurt form, I'm fine. But just trying to find ways that I can hide it in my meals and still get a little more calcium into my days.

There are plenty of other foods high in calcium, so I would say research that and/or take a calcium supplement, no need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy
    I've never been a big fan of yogurt either, and I've given up most dairy; but I do still use plain Greek in place of sour cream or mayo once in a while. I actually get more calcium without milk in my diet. One cup of almond milk has 45% of the RDA, while cow's milk has only 30% per cup. Dark green leafy vegetables are also very good sources of calcium.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the full fat fage!! OMG!!
  • dezbie
    dezbie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your struggle I solely enjoy yogurt in smoothies or in frozen form. I have tried to like it over and over. And for the people who ask why, yogurt has healthy bacteria and is a great healthy snack alternative. I really want to like it but I just don't.. But my nutritionist recommended I use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream ( because I love mexican food) and it is awesome for that. It's not even a noticeable difference, my boyfriend and I just tried it on taco night this week and even he liked it. So if you can just sub you sour cream you'd use on taco or quesdillas for plain greek yogurt that's one great way to sneak it in!

Thanks! I've seen that suggested a few times on here. I wonder how it would be if I mixed it in with some sour cream. :B

I'm telling you just buy on of those 89 cent little containers of store brand greek yogurt and try it solo as a substitute you won't even tell the difference, you're better off leaving the sour cream out entirely because it really isn't necessary to mix them. Once you see how easy the switch is, you'll probably never buy sour cream again. I just got this off livestrong "Sour cream packs 330 calories and 18 grams of saturated fat, while yogurt has only 150 calories and 3 grams of saturated fat. As an added bonus, a cup of yogurt gets you 450 mg of valuable calcium, while sour cream has only 250 mg" it's a no brainer! :)
  • dezbie
    dezbie Posts: 19 Member
    Options

3/4 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 egg white
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Okay thanks! By the way I'm just wondering what the yogurt is substituting? Like if I wanted to try to make a yogurt muffin or something would it be the milk that you're taking out?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating?? :tongue:

If it's fat free, that could be part of the problem - go for full fat, or at least 2%.

I add the plain Greek (Trader Joe's or Faje are my faves) to my oatmeal (with fruit, honey, nuts and cinnamon), use it in place of sour cream on Mexican food, throw it in smoothies, etc. To eat by itself, I like the flavored varieties from Trader Joe's, or the cream top Brown Cow brand is tasty.

Sometimes I'll eat the plain Greek yogurt for a snack - just add fruit and honey. OR, make it super tasty & stir in a spoonful of Nutella then top it with raspberries or strawberries!

They told me it was chocolate!

Haha yes, it was fat free. I could have sworn I grabbed a fat version (I only use nonfat for my smoothies, and wanted to try one with some fat in it, since I was going to pair it with fruit and granola), but it was a fat free vanilla Chobani.

I've been hearing a lot about Fage; I think I'll have to give it a try! Oikos has gotten some positive reviews too.

Also yes. Nothing compares to fage. has to be the full fat version though... tried the fat free version the other day (it's really difficult to find places that sell the full fat version :( ) and it tasted nasssstyyy
    Full fat always tastes awesome! The only reason I go for the 2% is the protein content - full fat has 9g of protein per cup, the 2% has 24g per cup! :huh: Huge difference! And I needz ma proteinz! :tongue:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Today was day one of trying to make me like yogurt for the 8239892nd time.
    I decided I hate it. Definitely hate it. I've given it far too many tries over the years. The greek yogurt I tried today pretty much turned me off from trying again anytime soon. It looked, tasted, and smelled like butt, even though it wasn't past its expiration date. I tried to like it, I really did. I even found this gold star that summarizes my efforts:

4756207+_9a7958b39fb87b7bc0fbb8f435ea162d.png

How can I be sneaky and sneak more yogurt into my macros, without having to eat it straight up? I've tried it in smoothies and enjoy that, but there has to be other ways out there. Other than froyo. I unfortunately cannot live my life through smoothies and froyo.
    [Edit]: I would like to clarify that I do not know what butt tastes like. It was merely an educated guess.

I'm the same, except I think greek yogurt tastes like dead people.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Today was day one of trying to make me like yogurt for the 8239892nd time.
    I decided I hate it. Definitely hate it. I've given it far too many tries over the years. The greek yogurt I tried today pretty much turned me off from trying again anytime soon. It looked, tasted, and smelled like butt, even though it wasn't past its expiration date. I tried to like it, I really did. I even found this gold star that summarizes my efforts:

4756207+_9a7958b39fb87b7bc0fbb8f435ea162d.png

How can I be sneaky and sneak more yogurt into my macros, without having to eat it straight up? I've tried it in smoothies and enjoy that, but there has to be other ways out there. Other than froyo. I unfortunately cannot live my life through smoothies and froyo.
    [Edit]: I would like to clarify that I do not know what butt tastes like. It was merely an educated guess.

I don't like all this flavored, fruit added " Greek " or not yogurt either. I did not complain and looked for alternatives. I found out that I really like home made yogurt from whole milk with nothing added. The way I make it, it is true greek yogurt ( and not what most people think is greek yogurt just because it's thick ) and I like it and eat it mostly as a protein in a main meal but never as a snack, because I don't do snacks....but am aware that most Americans think they go into starvation mode if they don't eat snacks....:o).
    My advise: If you hate yogurt, don't eat it.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you drink a yogurt smoothie every morning with fruit, which is what I do for my pre-workout meal, that is a good start.

Cottage cheese is DEEEELISH and I try to eat that as often as possible. I eat the full fat version - so creamy and tangy. *sigh*..... Going to have some right now.

I would not stress if you don't like yogurt, though. Plenty of other calcium options.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    but am aware that most Americans think they go into starvation mode if they don't eat snacks....
    Hey! I like snacks! :tongue:
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Get plain yogurt, and even better Greek, and add ranch packets, french onion soup, seasonings like that to dip veggies in. Doesn't sound like it's a texture thing for you so this might work. I've noticed recently that Oikos has yogurt dips now, but I've been doing this for years and loving it.
    Or one of those just-add-water fruit drink mixes. My cousin does that to yogurt and loves it!