Why Aspartame IS scary!

Options

Replies

• TheWorstHorse
    Options
    See I knew I was gonna need my hat today...and everyone laughed...

I did not laugh. I asked where I could get one.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    See I knew I was gonna need my hat today...and everyone laughed...

I did not laugh. I asked where I could get one.

<<<<< I covered my whole body in tinfoil, because you can never be too careful!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Aspartame Is Fecal Matter of Genetically Modified E. Coli Bacteria. Want proof? Here you go. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0036258.html

The production process

The patent, which is entitled Process for producing aspartame and is credited to Bahl, Rose, and White, summarizes the process as follows:

"The artificial sweetener aspartame, a dipeptide with the formula Asp-Phe-me, is produced using a cloned micrcorganism [sic]. A DNA which codes for a large stable peptide comprised of the repeating amino acid sequence (Asp-Phe)n is inserted into a cloning vehicle which in turn is introduced into a suitable host microorganism. The host microorganism is cultured and the large peptide containing the repeating Asp-Phe sequence is harvested therefrom. The free carboxyl group of the large peptide is benzylated and then hydrolysed to benzyl Asp-Phe dipeptides. This dipeptide is methylated and then debenzylated to form aspartame."

1.) 'Cloned microorganisms' (which the patent later reveals to be genetically modified E. coli) are cultivated in tanks whose environments are tailored to help them thrive.

2.) The well-fed E. coli cultures defecate the proteins that contain the aspartic acid-phenylalanine amino acid segment needed to make aspartame.

3.) The proteins containing the Asp-Phe segments are 'harvested' (i.e. lab assistants collect the bacteria's feces).

4.) The feces are then treated. This includes a process of methylation (adding an excess of the toxic alcohol, methanol, to the protected dipeptide).

http://www.organicslant.com/0000203-aspartame-is-fecal-matter-of-genetically-modified-ecoli-bacteria.html

That is the European patent for making your beloved and UN"safe" Aspartame. Now who wants to eat some E. Coli poop? Not me!
    I'll counter with this:
    Methods of Manufacturing:

Aspartame is produced by coupling together L-phenylalanine (or L-phenylalanine methyl ester) and L-aspartic acid, either chemically or enzymatically. The former procedure yields both the sweet alpha-aspartame and nonsweet beta-aspartame from which the alpha aspartame has to be separated and purified. The enzymatic process yields only alpha-aspartame.
    [Rowe, R.C., Sheskey, P.J., Quinn, M.E.; (Eds.), Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients 6th edition Pharmaceutical Press, London, England 2009, p. 49] **PEER REVIEWED**

Production of aspartame normally starts from L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine or L-phenylalanine methyl ester. The production follows common routes of peptide synthesis, as the L-configuration of amino acids has to be retained (essential for sweetness). Common production routes require protective groups for aspartic acid. The protective groups commonly used in peptide synthesis have been suggested for aspartame synthesis, but simple protection for large-scale production can be obtained by use of formylaspartic acid anhydride. It can be reacted with phenylalanine methyl ester to N-formylaspartame, from which the protective group has to be removed. Especially simple production is possible from N-formylaspartic acid anhydride and L-phenylalanine. The resulting N-formylaspartylphenylalanine is treated with hydrochloric acid and methanol. The aspartame hydrochloride obtained can be crystallized for purification and transformed into aspartame after addition of a stoichiometric amount of a neutralizing agent. Adjustment of the solvent increases the yield by improving the ratio of alpha- to beta-isomers. Crystallization of alpha-aspartame hydrohalides is a suitable purification step, as beta-hydrohalides are more soluble.
    [von Rymon Lipinski, G; Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry 7th ed. (2008). NY, NY: John Wiley & Sons; Sweeteners. Online Posting Date: June 15, 2000] **PEER REVIEWED**

Method for large-scale production of aspartame ... L-aspartic acid anhydride is condensed with L-phenylalanine methyl ester to form a mixture of beta-L-aspartyl-L-phenylalanine methyl ester and alpha-L-aspartyl-L-phenylalanine methyl ester. On acidification with hydrochloric acid, the latter precipitates and the precipitate is neutralized to form aspartame. /From table/
    [Furia, T.E. (ed.). CRC Handbook of Food Additives. 2nd ed. Volume 2. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, Inc., 1980., p. 195] **PEER REVIEWED**

General Manufacturing Information:

Aspartame is the methylester of a dipeptide composed of two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid. When these two amino acids are so combined to form aspartame (1-methyl N -L-a-aspartyl-L-phenylalanine), they produce an intensely sweet-tasting substance, approximately 180 times as sweet as sucrose.
    [21 CFR 201.21(a) (USFDA); U.S. National Archives and Records Administration's Electronic Code of Federal Regulations. Available from, as of July 29, 2010: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/ecfr **PEER REVIEWED**

A combination of aspartame with either granular or fused mannitol in a 1:9 ratio can provide a suitable base for chewable tablets with respect to sweetness, mouth feel, absence of unpleasant aftertaste, and low caloric value. Both compounds are compatible with leucine.
    [El-Shattawy HH et al; Drug Dev Ind Pharm 8 (3): 429-43 (1982)] **PEER REVIEWED**

... In the July 26, 1974, decision by the FDA to approve the use of aspartame, labeling provisions were made in which foods not containing protein or intended for admixture to protein sweetened with aspartame should bear the statement "contains protein."
    [Furia, T.E. (ed.). CRC Handbook of Food Additives. 2nd ed. Volume 2. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, Inc., 1980., p. 198] **PEER REVIEWED**

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+@rel+22839-47-0
    A much more in depth look at manufacturing. And no, it's not scary. People who oppose it try to make it sound scary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter that aspartame is made from E-Coli? Everyone has E-Coli floating through their intestines by the hundreds of thousands........ no big deal to me.... germs are germs.......if you knew how many germs that you actually ingest just eating out at restaurants and breathing air in enclosed spaces.........yeah no biggy.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Did you know that body odor is caused by the gas that bacterias let off? Like armpits and feet stick when they get sweaty because little bacterias feed off of the sweat and release smelly gases as they digest the sweat.... that's how germy odors work.... that's why poop stinks....... germs feed off of our bodily excretions per say. I'm not a biology expert, but at least this is what they told me in freshman bio in college.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter that aspartame is made from E-Coli? Everyone has E-Coli floating through their intestines by the hundreds of thousands........ no big deal to me.... germs are germs.......if you knew how many germs that you actually ingest just eating out at restaurants and breathing air in enclosed spaces.........yeah no biggy.

I've always found it intriguing that, number of germ wise, you're better off licking someone else's bum than kissing them on the lips!
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I love E. Coli poop. In fact, I love E. Coli. It's a wonderful organism. :drinker:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm not telling anyone else not to eat aspartame, you can do what you want. I don't eat it because it causes symptoms of toxicity in me (and much of my family). I'd rather not feel sick, so I avoid it. People may tell me this is "not real", but I think I can determine what's best for myself. I also have members of my family who have celiac's disease (I don't), but some people still think they must be making it up because of the overblown "gluten allergy" fad. *shrug*

You do you, boo. I'll do me.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Honestly any fake sweatener is questionable in my mind. Stevia being the odd duck out as it's an extract from a plant [hard to be concerned there]. I had a diet pop every now and then [yes has aspartame] but otherwise keep sugars [including artificial ones] to a minimum.
    This is terrible logic
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    Honestly any fake sweatener is questionable in my mind. Stevia being the odd duck out as it's an extract from a plant [hard to be concerned there]. I had a diet pop every now and then [yes has aspartame] but otherwise keep sugars [including artificial ones] to a minimum.

You know what else is found in plants?

Cyanide

And cannabis

And opium..

Should we all start taking these because they are natural products from plants?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    VINEGAR is a fermentation process that involves microorganisms. And I love me some vinegar.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because...

...just in.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    stare-o.gif

She reminds me of my overly dramatic mother-in-law. That's the sort of face she makes ALL the time...:laugh:

ETA: My husband just saw this and he totally agrees!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

It's natural, so it must be safe. It is not like there are naturally occuring poisons out there...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is bacteria poop.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    VINEGAR is a fermentation process that involves microorganisms. And I love me some vinegar.

IDEA Fitness member

In the OP's parlance vinegar is what happens when e.coli get drunk and piss themselves.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

It's natural, so it must be safe. It is not like there are naturally occuring poisons out there...

In fact: http://listverse.com/2013/04/03/10-poisons-and-their-horrifying-effects/

I think 5 of those are naturally occuring?
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

You know what else is found in plants?

Cyanide

And cannabis

And opium..

Should we all start taking these because they are natural products from plants?

...what do you mean "start" taking them....?

:happy: