Help! Sleeping horribly now that I'm more active.

Options
Hey guys,

So it's been about two weeks since I started being a lot more active and eating healthier. I typically walk about 5 miles a day with a combo of walking my dog + walking around the local track. At the track, I also do other workouts like stadium runs, tire lifting, etc. I've already lost some weight and overall feel better, but one thing I noticed is that my sleep has really suffered!

Often times I get home from my workout pretty late (around 11 pm because it's too hot during the day to work out outside in Texas) and then I'm up til 2 am for no reason. Then I wake up not even three hours later and I'm restless! What gives?! My body is exhausted and I miss my usual 8 hours of sleep. :cry:

Any insight or helpful tips are welcome!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Maybe try working out in early morning instead?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Yes unfortunately you're working out far too late. All sorts of chemicals will be whizzing round your body. You may be overdoing it.

Take your time and build your fitness up. You can only get rid of that fat slowly.

I think walking late would be ok, but anything that it getting you anaerobic or in high heart rates zones will affect you.

I suffer terribly even when I work out early :-(
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Working out late at night does that to me too. I grew up in Austin and my favorite time of day to go running was 5pm. Hot and sweaty. You'll get used to it. :smile:
  • maburrell92
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt responses! Yeah, I guess working out late is an issue but its really hard to work out any other time. I'm not a member of any gym and it is literally over 100 degrees all day everywhere where I live, so the daytime is out of the question. I'll have to start getting up early then I suppose.
  • maburrell92
    Options
    Working out late at night does that to me too. I grew up in Austin and my favorite time of day to go running was 5pm. Hot and sweaty. You'll get used to it. :smile:

Wow, that's intense! I live in El Paso so I don't even have the humidity that you guys do down in Austin. I remember how suffocating it was when I went to school in Dallas though.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I work out in the evening, usually around 7 with two hours of lifting then rest 30 minutes then end the day with 30 minutes of cardio. Usually done by 10 pm and go to bed at 11. Sleep like a baby. Buddie of mine can't do that. He revs up too much and has the same problem you do. Problem is he likes to sleep in the morning but he forces himself to work out before work. That works for him but I couldn't do that for the life of me. I get up in the morning snarling so there is no way I'd be motivated to hit the gym at 5 am!!! :huh:

Couple of options...

You can test this out if you have access to a treadmill or other cardio machine for a short time. Since it's so hot where you are see if you can do your cardio at a different time somewhere cooler and test the theory. See if it improves your sleep. Also remember that the body is amazing at adapting. I did work out early in the morning for a while when it was the only time that I could do it. It sucked but got easier over time and your body will adapt to new patterns. I'd give it awhile first and see. Enjoy the Texas heat, don't know how you guys endure it! I hate the heat! :sad: LOL
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Go for the morning work out. You will carry more energy into your day. It will also be much cooler in the mornings.
  • maburrell92
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I'll do a morning walk with my dog and the rest of my stuff in the evening and see if spreading my activity around helps. If not, I'll switch to just the morning.
  • maburrell92
    Options
    Everybody is different. I work out in the evening, usually around 7 with two hours of lifting then rest 30 minutes then end the day with 30 minutes of cardio. Usually done by 10 pm and go to bed at 11. Sleep like a baby. Buddie of mine can't do that. He revs up too much and has the same problem you do. Problem is he likes to sleep in the morning but he forces himself to work out before work. That works for him but I couldn't do that for the life of me. I get up in the morning snarling so there is no way I'd be motivated to hit the gym at 5 am!!! :huh:

Couple of options...

You can test this out if you have access to a treadmill or other cardio machine for a short time. Since it's so hot where you are see if you can do your cardio at a different time somewhere cooler and test the theory. See if it improves your sleep. Also remember that the body is amazing at adapting. I did work out early in the morning for a while when it was the only time that I could do it. It sucked but got easier over time and your body will adapt to new patterns. I'd give it awhile first and see. Enjoy the Texas heat, don't know how you guys endure it! I hate the heat! :sad: LOL

Thanks! Will try this. I hate the heat too, hence why I'm going to law school in Michigan in the fall.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So it's been about two weeks since I started being a lot more active and eating healthier. I typically walk about 5 miles a day with a combo of walking my dog + walking around the local track. At the track, I also do other workouts like stadium runs, tire lifting, etc. I've already lost some weight and overall feel better, but one thing I noticed is that my sleep has really suffered!

Often times I get home from my workout pretty late (around 11 pm because it's too hot during the day to work out outside in Texas) and then I'm up til 2 am for no reason. Then I wake up not even three hours later and I'm restless! What gives?! My body is exhausted and I miss my usual 8 hours of sleep. :cry:

Late intense workouts interfere with sleep because they raise the body temperature.

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2010/03/08/sleep-tight-why-working-out-late-can-keep-you-awake/

Work out in the morning, afternoon, or inside in the a/c.
    Or only do "calming" workouts late -- like yoga.
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem in particular, because I've always had terrible insomnia and I'm on medication for that now. However, I have been getting really 'buzzed' and anxious in the evenings since I started working out, no matter how early I go!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I have to work out in the morning or I get so hyper it's almost as if I've had several cups of coffee.
    Watch your caffeine intake-only have it before noon!
    Also make sure you're eating enough. An empty stomach keeps me awake.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Exercising late generally makes me super wired. If you try to do it in the early morning, it'll wake you up for the day, and you can avoid the scorching weather too! I've started waking up 2 hours before work to get my workouts in. The other day, I was absolutely wired in the morning, much more focused, and wasn't even tired til my normal bedtime! Try switching it up, so you can get those 8 hours in. :)
  • maburrell92
    Options
    Hey guys,

Exercising late generally makes me super wired. If you try to do it in the early morning, it'll wake you up for the day, and you can avoid the scorching weather too! I've started waking up 2 hours before work to get my workouts in. The other day, I was absolutely wired in the morning, much more focused, and wasn't even tired til my normal bedtime! Try switching it up, so you can get those 8 hours in. :)

Thanks! Sounds like I'm gonna have to become a morning person. :P
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Haha, it's tough, but I somehow did it! Coffee helps too. :)
  • Ashley6278
    Ashley6278 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have the same issue if I workout to later in the day,anything after 3 pm is way to late for me to workout because my body wont be able to wind down in time for me to go to sleep, and since I already suffer from insomina that just makes it way worse.. My advice is that you workout earlier in the day if you can, and make sure you are getting enough rest days.
  • maburrell92
    Options
    Hey guys,

Haha, it's tough, but I somehow did it! Coffee helps too. :)

Thank god coffee doesn't have calories eh? :)
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too right when I started cutting back calories and working out everyday. Working out in the A.M. helps. Also make sure you aren't having caffeine late in the day.

You might also try melatonin to help you naturally fall asleep with the lights off.
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Different people have different effects, I used to work out late when I was in high school (went to the gym around half 7 and came back at 9) and it helped me sleep, but it can be the opposite for other people where it makes you feel more active. Guess that's why they recommend some exercising between revision sessions since to activate the brain helping you retain information.
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep either if I work out too close to bedtime. I think that is natural as your body is all reved up