Help! Sleeping horribly now that I'm more active.

Options
2»

Replies

• doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I take a magnesium supplement right before bed and that helps me relax. I also take 3mg of melatonin - helps me tremendously.

If you can move your workouts, you might have better luck, but if you're open to supplements, I'd give those two a try.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Think about it for a second....you're working out and getting all of these endorphins flying around and then you're trying to make your body shut down for sleep...I don't know anyone who can do that. I have to have a minimum of about 3 hours after a workout before I can even think about sleep.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Years ago my husband had the same problem. He was on a competitive swim team, and their workouts finished at 10:00pm. By the time he got home and had something to eat it was late and he couldn't get to sleep until 2:00am. It was awful for him to go to work the day after. He quit the team. Now we both go to the pool early in the morning. I guess you will just have to do your exercising early. You get used to it. Best. :smile:
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm the same.Up at 5 every morning for no reason.It's annoying,even the dog sleeps in later than me
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just hate exercising early but I will need to change. I swim around 5pm. If I don't get home until 10 from anything I'll be up half the night.
    I take ambien for sleep and still have issues!
  • maburrell92
    Options
    I take a magnesium supplement right before bed and that helps me relax. I also take 3mg of melatonin - helps me tremendously.

If you can move your workouts, you might have better luck, but if you're open to supplements, I'd give those two a try.

Thanks! I was thinking of using melatonin. Is the magnesium supposed to have the same effect or? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with supplements.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Thanks! I was thinking of using melatonin. Is the magnesium supposed to have the same effect or? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with supplements.

Magnesium has a relaxing effect on the body. I think it is just a good supplement to take though, especially if you are exercising. It helps with muscle repair. Epsom salts are magnesium, and Epsom salt baths are used to relax sore muscles.
  • maburrell92
    Options

Magnesium has a relaxing effect on the body. I think it is just a good supplement to take though, especially if you are exercising. It helps with muscle repair. Epsom salts are magnesium, and Epsom salt baths are used to relax sore muscles.

Awesome! I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Working out that late tends to hurt my sleep unless I work out to physical failure.

I'll do a couple things to help it out.

Work out early in the morning before it gets hot. Dose some benadryl.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So it's been about two weeks since I started being a lot more active and eating healthier. I typically walk about 5 miles a day with a combo of walking my dog + walking around the local track. At the track, I also do other workouts like stadium runs, tire lifting, etc. I've already lost some weight and overall feel better, but one thing I noticed is that my sleep has really suffered!

Often times I get home from my workout pretty late (around 11 pm because it's too hot during the day to work out outside in Texas) and then I'm up til 2 am for no reason. Then I wake up not even three hours later and I'm restless! What gives?! My body is exhausted and I miss my usual 8 hours of sleep. :cry:

Any insight or helpful tips are welcome!
    Try morning workouts before it gets too hot.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you're working out close to bedtime it is harder to go to sleep. Do your workouts earlier and that should correct the problem.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    I had this exact same problem because I worked out at night. Now, I force myself to get up really early to complete my workout and I sleep much better.

Night time workouts just don't work out for me. Insomnia sucks.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't workout so close to bedtime.