Question concerning "Calorie in, calorie out."

Options
124»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    His overall health and well-being will probably suck.
    If he was eating the same foods but more of them, his overall health will probably improve.

As also seen by the McDonalds/twinkie guys - you can make your diet have 'worse' foods, but lose weight and still improve health.
    In this case I believe he's just reducing the amount of the same foods.
    Of course, it'd be better if he made loads of life changes at once, also solved the world's energy problems and stopped all cruelty to women and children.
    BUT... a lot of people fail when they set goals they won't reasonably be able to meet, so small steps are often a better bet to long term success.

Short-term goals are good and simply reducing how much you eat can be effective for some. But one must consider the long-term, as what you eat affects how your body functions and not just what you see on the scale. I see plenty of skinny people all the time that look like ****. And I'm sure the McD' / Twinkie folks have minimal improvement in health. Perhaps they lose some weight and can move better in the short-term. Long-term they're working on type-2 diabetes for sure and possibly other issues.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As long as im taking in less calories than I'm burning per day I'll lose weight right?

My daily diet looks something like this:

Breatkfast = cinnamon oatmeal + coke zero (no calories)

lunch = salad or sometimes ill get a turkey and cheese sandwhich with some chips and a water

dinner = like 10 pizza rolls and a coke

With all of this combined I still have about 20 calories left over. Mind you, this is with "Lightly Active" highlighted as well, and I work in a fast paced retail envrionment getting cardio so i don't need to go to the gym really. And I don't always eat like that either, my breakfast is always oatmeal and water or some 0 calorie drink. Lunch is often healthy too, usually a salad or something nutritious, but my dinner is always something that satisfies any cravings i might have which helps me stay on track.

Thoughts?

Seriously, to hell with the bizarre nutrition elitists. Eat whatever you want, just less of it, and you'll lose weight. Whatever works for you. The self righteous judgements can take a hike.

Eventually, if your goals transition away from pure weight loss to overall healthful nutrition, the nutrition info will be more relevant to you.

Telling someone who flat out said they get "sick" when eating nutritious foods, and considered processed junk "manly-er", that they could run into serious health issues eating a diet where boxed pizza rolls are the main event is not being a "bizarre nutrition elitist".

It's called being a concerned human being.

What if somebody came on here and said they "hate" most foods and were planning to eat a diet comprised of nothing but Snickers bars and coke. Would yo be a "bizarre nutrition elitist" for suggesting that while they can lose weight, that might not be the best idea for their health?

It was specifically a CICO weight loss question. Not a nutritional question.

This place is dogmatic, and I can see how it would be frustrating to get an answer about B when asking a question about A.

That's funny considering I'm one of the least dogmatic people I've seen around here and have lost my weight breaking a lot of standard MFP "rules".

But hey, if letting somebody know that eating a diet of almost nothing but junk food can be detrimental to long term health and quality of life makes me a "bizarre nutrition elitist", I'll own it!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean to offend you. The very first response in the thread is someone mocking and belittling the OP. That is more the kind of thing I was annoyed by.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Long-term they're working on type-2 diabetes for sure and possibly other issues.
    Definitely a 'citation' for that, please?

From what I recall, lower weight is likely one of the best ways to reduce risk.

I would like to suggest that terming 'food' as 'junk' "can be detrimental to long term health and quality of life" ;).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You need protein for b'fast: eggs, sausage, yogurt, cottage cheese

And as far as dinner, I would eat 2 pizza rolls to satisfy the craving, and then some chicken and vegetables for the protein, nutrients, and fiber.

I make "pizza chicken" (boneless, skinless baked chicken with tomato sauce, and a small amount of cheese)...not pizza rolls, but it is delicious.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Long-term they're working on type-2 diabetes for sure and possibly other issues.
    Definitely a 'citation' for that, please?

From what I recall, lower weight is likely one of the best ways to reduce risk.

I would like to suggest that terming 'food' as 'junk' "can be detrimental to long term health and quality of life" ;).

Constantly eating carbohydrates like that will negatively affect his insulin sensitivity. It may not cause type 2 diabetes, but it won't be good. Let's just say his health will not be optimal.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Reevaluate your goals. Eating like that might allow you to n lose weight but that doesn't make it a good idea. You have no fruits, no vegetables and you obviously don't put thought into macronutrients. 10 pizza rolls and coke is not a dinner. You are not 5 years old and it's time to start eating like an adult.

haha? Who are you too judge what he eats?
    Your comment does not sound like YOU are an adult
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    mate, weight loss is simple math
    if those foods you choose fit your intake recommendation for the day then by all means!!!

WHAT you EAT is a diffferent story, but ya all straight math, cals in vs cals out
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would say this is okay as like a naughty treat day, if you like pizza rolls have pizzs rolls, but you need more veg and fruit and protein. I am not an expert at this stuff but if you have that everyday its like empty food, your body regenerates cells from what you eat, so give it some good stuff :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    As long as im taking in less calories than I'm burning per day I'll lose weight right?

My daily diet looks something like this:

Breatkfast = cinnamon oatmeal + coke zero (no calories)

lunch = salad or sometimes ill get a turkey and cheese sandwhich with some chips and a water

dinner = like 10 pizza rolls and a coke

With all of this combined I still have about 20 calories left over. Mind you, this is with "Lightly Active" highlighted as well, and I work in a fast paced retail envrionment getting cardio so i don't need to go to the gym really. And I don't always eat like that either, my breakfast is always oatmeal and water or some 0 calorie drink. Lunch is often healthy too, usually a salad or something nutritious, but my dinner is always something that satisfies any cravings i might have which helps me stay on track.

Thoughts?

As an every now and again meal, if you are keeping under cals you will lose weight.

On days that you are not eating like this I would suggest focusing on protein intake and lots of veg for your micro nutrients.

If you are eating like this most days though, I'm not sure it would be the most optimal diet for health.

Focus on protein (0.7 grams per pound of lean mass), eat some veg and healthy fats for your micro nutrients and what ever cals are left eat the foods you enjoy. This still wouldn't be the most optimal diet you could eat for health but it would certainly cover the bases.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean to offend you. The very first response in the thread is someone mocking and belittling the OP. That is more the kind of thing I was annoyed by.

No problem buddy!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Veggies actually make my stomach touchy sometimes, too. I used to be a whole lot worse about it. If it wasn't processed, I didn't eat it. One way I introduced them to my plate when I was in my twenties was by putting them on pizza. If you swap out the pizza rolls for real pizza, homemade or ordered, then start topping it with different veggies, you might find your diet becomes healthier and more varied. You can even buy fresh ingredients from the store to put on a takeout pizza. I've had some delicious concoctions come of that. It's how I learned that tomatoes are not the devil.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Veggies actually make my stomach touchy sometimes, too. I used to be a whole lot worse about it. If it wasn't processed, I didn't eat it. One way I introduced them to my plate when I was in my twenties was by putting them on pizza. If you swap out the pizza rolls for real pizza, homemade or ordered, then start topping it with different veggies, you might find your diet becomes healthier and more varied. You can even buy fresh ingredients from the store to put on a takeout pizza. I've had some delicious concoctions come of that. It's how I learned that tomatoes are not the devil.
    This is actually a great idea. if I want pizza, I make my own at home, right down to the crust, because (1) I am aware of all the ingredients and (2) I am lactose intolerant and can't have cheese. I love to load it down with fresh veggies, and it lasts for days on end.