Help with Binge eating!

Options
I recently came off a diet where i lost 10kg and now I cannot stop binging. I am eating 3000 to 5000 cal a day for past month and I am really scared what it is doing to my health. I was obese when i started the diet and I did used to binge and mindless eat but now I am fully aware of what i am doing and yet still I cannot stop eating once i start. I dont buy junk but living with my family it is not always possible to avoid all junks. I tend to binge mostly on eggs, toast, rice and cheese. I am really scared as I feel powerless to this eating habit. I am writing this having eaten everything I could find in the kitchen and completely full yet my mind is still thinking of what to eat next. anyone got any advice? anyone want to add me as fren to support me?

Replies

• epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I recently came off a diet where i lost 10kg and now I cannot stop binging.

Hi, could you tell us a bit more about this 'diet'? How many calories were you eating a day, were you exercising? How long did you stay on the diet for?

Tell us a bit more and we can try and help you get on the road to enjoying the foods you love without overindulging :)
  • MeanNurseGM95
    MeanNurseGM95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out why you are binge eating. Is it stress? Then look for ways to relax. For me I would binge eat because I always felt hungry. I love rice, bread, and potatoes. As I started to change my life (not diet) I realized when I ate better quality of foods I was not as hungry. It was a process but after a couple of months I can't eat a meal with all fried foods or have a bunch of sugar. I still have candy and pizza but I have a much better understanding on what makes me full.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can talk to a doctor or therapist and find out what is going on. For me it was emotional eating - I'd eat if I was stressed or just plain angry, and I couldn't express it. So rather than say anything, I'd eat. But now that I realized it, It has helped ease my cravings and mindless eating habits. Also I tried the Living Light hypnosis session and tape. It has helped me tremendously focus and resist sweets which were my weakness before.
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me it was emotional eating - I'd eat if I was stressed or just plain angry, and I couldn't express it. So rather than say anything, I'd eat.

Snap
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    therelies the rub, if you go ON a diet and come OFF a diet then chances are you will yoyo...bingeing , well I can relate to that..perhaps some councelling may help...in theway that other addiction behaviour needs help to solve. Perhapssome ameteur CBT, try an elastic band on the wrist which you ping every tme the urge to binge starts?? hope you find some resolution. :flowerforyou:
  • 130helen
    130helen Posts: 9
    Options
    I did the same thing recently, so I can relate. Just my opinion, but I was restricting myself to only those foods on the diet, (which was mainly vegees and more vegees with meat and vegees for dinner. When I went off it, I gained it all back. It was one of those quicky diets and I didn't even manage to stay on it that long. I think, for me, because it was so restrictive, once I went off it, I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted, then those foods were what was making me binge because they were full of sugar and carbs (way too many sugar and carbs :) ). What helped me was I found this book on Amazon, Vegees not included, and read it cover to cover (well it was a download LOL) in 2 days and it changed the way I look at food. I figured out my BMR and for my height and weight, I allow myself 1200 calories per day (but I am short!). The lady in the book lost 100 pounds and ate 1500 - 1600 calories a day, but she was eating what she wanted, and allowing herself those foods, then eating around that.

I know it sounds wacky, but allowing myself to eat fast food for a week helped me gain control of my binge. I gained control of my hunger. Knowing I can eat what I want, I just have to count the calories and log them, I got to see what I was eating and decide.

I agree, it is emotional as well, because the rebound from eating all that sugar, but it doesn’t feel like rebound eating it feels like hunger. Too much sugar will do that to me.

As far as emotional eating, see if you can find a quiet place and allow yourself to feel your emotions, even if you don’t know what they are. Just allowing them space “to talk” will sometimes allow you to connect to what emotion it is. Then allow it to “speak” to you, allow it to tell you what it wants to tell you. Just try and observe it from outside yourself and let it speak. The more you can do this, the easier it is. Nothing may come up at first, so don’t stress about it. When it does, just allow it. Once the emotion is “heard” it may leave by itself, because you acknowledged it. Sometimes feelings are not real, once acknowledged. And sometimes they bring up stuff to work on 

Hope this helps!
  • Kikilarue59
    Kikilarue59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lately when I am feeling lost, stressed, angry etc. I have tended to just Binge. I was told by a friend to go on the site. Shrink Yourself, by Dr. Robert Gould
    there is a question and answer component and just running through that has helped me hone in on the why? of what is happening and the way in which I am choosing to solve it. in most cases food.
    So it's just a tool to use.
    Kiki
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can talk to a doctor or therapist and find out what is going on. For me it was emotional eating - I'd eat if I was stressed or just plain angry, and I couldn't express it. So rather than say anything, I'd eat. But now that I realized it, It has helped ease my cravings and mindless eating habits..

This.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing recently, so I can relate. Just my opinion, but I was restricting myself to only those foods on the diet, (which was mainly vegees and more vegees with meat and vegees for dinner. When I went off it, I gained it all back. It was one of those quicky diets and I didn't even manage to stay on it that long. I think, for me, because it was so restrictive, once I went off it, I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted, then those foods were what was making me binge because they were full of sugar and carbs (way too many sugar and carbs :) ). What helped me was I found this book on Amazon, Vegees not included, and read it cover to cover (well it was a download LOL) in 2 days and it changed the way I look at food. I figured out my BMR and for my height and weight, I allow myself 1200 calories per day (but I am short!). The lady in the book lost 100 pounds and ate 1500 - 1600 calories a day, but she was eating what she wanted, and allowing herself those foods, then eating around that.

I know it sounds wacky, but allowing myself to eat fast food for a week helped me gain control of my binge. I gained control of my hunger. Knowing I can eat what I want, I just have to count the calories and log them, I got to see what I was eating and decide.

I agree, it is emotional as well, because the rebound from eating all that sugar, but it doesn’t feel like rebound eating it feels like hunger. Too much sugar will do that to me.

As far as emotional eating, see if you can find a quiet place and allow yourself to feel your emotions, even if you don’t know what they are. Just allowing them space “to talk” will sometimes allow you to connect to what emotion it is. Then allow it to “speak” to you, allow it to tell you what it wants to tell you. Just try and observe it from outside yourself and let it speak. The more you can do this, the easier it is. Nothing may come up at first, so don’t stress about it. When it does, just allow it. Once the emotion is “heard” it may leave by itself, because you acknowledged it. Sometimes feelings are not real, once acknowledged. And sometimes they bring up stuff to work on 

Hope this helps!

This.

I lost 65lbs eating what Ii wanted in moderation - fast food, icecream, etc.

Every day.

Then I joined the Paleo/Primal bandwagon and carb/sugar counting obsession.
    It worked AMAZING for my physical health, but the second I accidentally ate a piece of candy 5 months down the line as just one treat, I lost it.
    Started binging 5,000+ calories a day for like two weeks straight.
    Hitting up like 3 fast food joints in an hour and eating to the point of pain/sickness.

Ive recently gone 5 days without binging and re-allowing myself to eat in moderation.
    I should have never switched it was never for me.

Are you restricting yourself?

Are you emotionally eating?

I also recently started a new job and I also noticed the days I work are the days I have the worst binges.
    Im also more likely to binge of im tired, even if I dont know Im tired. I mistake it for hunger.

Ive gained back 5 lbs... still trying to get it under control myself, just takes some patience and kindness with yourself - good luck!
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
  • Quickfeather
    Options
    I can totally relate to bingeing, for me I started doing it because I was restricting myself too much. I got over it by planning dome of my favorite foods into my days instead adding it extra and going crazy. Yoga has also been helpful for me, to calm me down and give me a healthy distraction. Hope it helps, getting over bingeing is hard!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gidgette1972
    gidgette1972 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is an eating disorder, and needs to be approached with medical intervention. Until you deal with the issues that are perpetuating this disorder, it will never change. Best of luck to you, it can be over-came. hang in there.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Can you share your typical diet and calories? Do you take a multivitamin?
  • FitterinaBallerina
    FitterinaBallerina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seems to me, you need to figure out what's causing you to feel the need to eat. I think a trip to a doctor, nutritionist or a therapist might be best. There's usually some underlying factors (stress, anger, fear, etc) that can cause someone to binge.
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Listen to this podcast, it really helped me today!!

http://www.halfsizeme.com/123/
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ditto talking to a doctor or therapist to help figure out the root cause of the issue. Nothing wrong with working on the issue and getting some new ideas for ways to cope when the urge hits.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Can you share your typical diet and calories? Do you take a multivitamin?

Will taking a multivitamin stop binging?
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It could if the cause is not getting the proper micronutrients/Macronutrients.