Rhubarb!!

Options
apparations
apparations Posts: 264 Member
Have you all been enjoying rhubarb season as much as I have? I can't stop eating the stuff! Literally all I do is cook about 1lb with 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar on the stove top. Then adding some frozen strawberries when done for texture (Fresh ones aren't quite ready yet in this area). SO good with yogurt or ricotta!

Replies

• apparations
    Options
    Anyone else have suggestions for rhubarb? Aside from pie of course :)
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've never had it before.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    rhubarb sauce just the way you are making it is enough for me -- always delicious.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb is delicious and I never knew how to cook it... 1/4c sugar sounds like a lot though (I don't even keep sugar in the house)...

Edit: researched it, 1/4c white sugar is just under 200 cals. Thought it would be more, I guess.
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well you do need sugar with rhubarb.....way too tart without. I also make rhubarb crisp....try to go light with the butter and sugar but a bit of crumble on top of lots of fruit.....Delicious!

Oh and if you cook down the stewed rhubarb until it's quite thick it's delicious with baked brie....(I know the brie should be a rare treat!)

And someday when you get to maintenance and can afford the calories....Rhubarb upside down cake is amazing! Pink and very pretty!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Love me some rhubarb (hence the username!) - just baked a pie today! My dad grows it in his garden and brought me a bunch recently. Mom brought a jar of rhubarb jam/syrup they had made too - sooooo good on toast! Never thought of putting it on yogurt but must try that too.

I've never liked strawberries in my rhubarb - I'm a purist - give me all rhubarb!

Wish I could grow it here, but haven't had much luck, I think it's just too hot (central California). I need to research and find out if there are varieties that might tolerate this climate better.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I grow my own rhubarb, and coincidentally made a rhubarb crumble this afternoon, never fails, and so easy to do

I added a bit of ginger in, but not enough to overpower it

One of the easiest meals around
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've seen recipes for a sharp rhubarb sauce to go with mackerel or pork, but haven't tried it.

I mostly make compote with some fresh ginger and/or a little orange and have it with yogurt or ice cream.

When I was little, my grandad grew it and we'd eat it fresh from the garden, raw and dipped in sugar. It sounds like a recipe for stomach cramps now though...
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    We always ate it raw with salt when I was growing up.
  • apparations
    Options
    I didn't think you could eat it raw! Rhubarb with baked brie sounds AMAZING.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That sounds good, I will have to try it that way!!

I love rhubarb too. I've been cooking down 1 lb each of frozen strawberries and rhubarb, no added liquid or sugar, and then eating a little of that refrigerated overnight with 1/4 c oats, 4 oz plain nonfat Greek yogurt and some flaxseed. Delish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • MonsterSugarBug
    Options
    Mmm, rhubarb!! love rhubarb crisp, especially when it's still warm with French vanilla ice cream!! Mmm!! Strawberry rhubarb pie is amazing, or strawberry rhubarb jam...my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    this is a prepared food and doesn't really fit the thread (sorry OP) but I have to tell those of you who love strawberry-rhubarb stuff, that noosa yoghurt makes an amazing strawberry-rhubarb flavored one...check it out. I get it at Target and it's seriously one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten in my life!
  • aj11016
    aj11016 Posts: 65
    Options
    You can make Rhubarb wine :drinker:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Love it but yes it needs a lot of sugar. Just remember the leaves are toxic!
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    Ok I love the sounds of every single thing here on this thread so far! Yum!
    I make rhubarb muffins and rhubarb cake too, top the muffins with just a sprinkle of sugar and you get this sort of candy crunchy top which is just so amazing next to the moist tart rhubarb....Double Yum!
    @seltzermint, I have that exact yogurt in my fridge right now...Triple Yum!

Edited to add that LaurahasaBaby is loony...raw rhubarb with salt?! That's just crazy talk! :tongue:
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bump! I didn`t know about all the delicous things that could be made with rhubarb. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can make Rhubarb wine :drinker:

Yep, my grandad made that, it was awful, but I think, having made my own wine, it was lack of allowing to mature