Rhubarb!!

Options
2»

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    We always ate it raw with salt when I was growing up.

Same here, but uses sugar, used to dip the rhubarb stick in the sugar and munch away
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Never salted it...just ate it raw. Then again I like a VERY tart lemonade so YMMV....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can make Rhubarb wine :drinker:
    Somewhere I saw a recipe for making a rhubarb cocktail syrup to add to white wine or mixed drinks - it sounded amazing! Thought I had it bookmarked, but don't see it, will have to poke around Google and see if I can dig it up.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to grow rhubarb and make a rhubarb crisp (I think it had some strawberries in it as well) that was to die for.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Would love to see more ways to prepare it without adding sugar. Keep the ideas coming! :)
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In for the ideas here! Love rhubarb!
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The walkway to my grandparent's outhouse was lined with rhubarb on both sides. I love it. BTW, I would never "ruin" it by serving it with strawberries. I have only had it three ways, sauce, pie and cobbler. I miss having it, I don't grow it and I never cooked it. Maybe I should learn.
  • shrimpie75
    shrimpie75 Posts: 10
    Options
    Instead of using normal average everyday granulated sugar, how about using granulated sweetener ie canderal instead???
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you all been enjoying rhubarb season as much as I have? I can't stop eating the stuff! Literally all I do is cook about 1lb with 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar on the stove top. Then adding some frozen strawberries when done for texture (Fresh ones aren't quite ready yet in this area). SO good with yogurt or ricotta!
    my mother grew up eating this type of sauce. They didn't have much money and lived in rural, northern MN. They had lots of berries and rhubarb.
    I love it with yogurt. I need to try it with Splenda or stevia sometime.
  • kellyw63
    kellyw63 Posts: 3
    Options
    I saw that recipe and want to try it myself! All my rhubarb recipes are desserts with tons of sugar...but they sure are delicious!:wink:
  • tuffykenwell
    tuffykenwell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My freezer is full of rhubarb! Thanks for giving me a great way to use it!
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So this week I made a Rhubarb sauce and I've been putting it on ice cream all week. One serving of ice cream is A LOT less than I am used to eating, so I have it with extra, extra rhubarb! It's so great. Someone said rhubarb muffins, that sounds good too!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Lots of rhubarb in Maine right now, I love to freeze some and when it's strawberry season, make strawberry rhubarb jam. and pie, but I love some of the healthier suggestions for on top of yougart I need to go to my aunts house and get some.
  • DazzlingEdition7
    Options
    love rhubarb

This is a great no sugar recipe, takes the tartness out perfectly

http://www.healthysnackschef.com/stewed-rhubarb-sugar-free/
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
  • BlushingBride515
    BlushingBride515 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to make this with some of the rhubarb in our garden, but it's a tad too hot now. Perhaps I'll freeze it for those cooler fall days that just cry out for lentils.

http://www.whatwouldcathyeat.com/2010/08/red-lentil-dal-with-rhubarb/
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love rhubarb, but i can't find it here in Florida. When I lived in NY it was great for making pies. I wish I could find it now. I was told the season here is very brief and in march. :-(
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    I cook mine up the same way as you but with apple instead of the added sugar. nom nom nom