Fit & Fun Sized Group ~ November '10

Options

Replies

• Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the cold from Oct to May... I live on the North Shore in MA.

I'm originally from Boston but have been residing in GA almost 10 years now. I go home at least once a year but never between October-April because the weather is just too unpredictable. I hate being cold too so I do understand. I have a variety of dvds (P90X, Insanity, Chalean Extreme, Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels, Billy Blanks, Kettleworx) so that helps me not get too bored. Right now I'm hodge podging my workouts and doing whatever I feel that day. I do try to stick to the routine of 3 days of strength training and 3 days of cardio.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and didn't realize that I was short. lol Isn't 5'4" about average? *shrugs*
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome Blackmamba! You just join by posting in the forum. It is that easy. Logging is the key. No matter if your over or under your calories, just keep logging. Gratz on your weight loss. I’m from Connecticut originally. I miss the New England winters and the summers on the beach.

Choco- I hope you get to enjoy your long weekend. Sorry you get furlough days.

Sas – Hang in there and keep logging. Each time you get off track it should be less off track and easier for you to get back to good choices.

Jenn- Welcome! MFP is a good resource. I bet there is a forum for diabetics. Many of us post in more than one.

Stacy, I think 5’4” is the top of the petites and the start of the average. Welcome.

I love the winter, but just don't like being cold. I still ski and ice skate. I vary my workout so I don't get too bored. But, the more you do it the easier it is to keep going.

Speaking of skiing, I bought new petite ski pants. They are a winter white which I don't like, but they are short enough for me. Not too many choices on the color at the sale price I found them at.

Barbie - I bet the cold up there goes right through you.

Have a great evening everyone!

JAM

Have a great evening everyone!
  • jam0525
    Options
    Blackmamba- Do you have a Walmart near you? They sell under armor in the men's department that will help you stay warm while walking outdoors. My DD and I buy them. They look just like the women's ones in sports stores just a lot cheaper. Also, I have a Wii and exercise DVD's that I use when I can't get out. We also picked up a used stationary bike on Craig's List after DD's hip surgery last March. Good luck finding something you like to do for exercise. Jeannie
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    hey everyone..my name's Jenn..i'm new to MFP..i'm a 30 year old SAHM of 3..i have a lot of pregnancy weight to lose..because apparently i decided to keep a little weight from each pregnancy..and when i say a little i mean like oh, 30 lbs..each one..lol..anyway my november goal is 12 lbs..usually the first couple weeks i can drop a higher number, so we'll see..my weigh ins are monday so i'm hoping i lose some so i can stay motivated..oh and BTW i'm 5'2"..and have type 1 diabeties..so losing weight has been a real pain in the butt! :)

I am type two...and YES it is a pain in the butt!! I feel like I have to work twice as hard. But, it's all good. I am doing what I need to do and my levels are better than they have been in years. You will get there! I have just started mid-October...workin' hard, but havin' fun!! :glasses: :glasses:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon all! Posting late because I've been one busy little bee running a lot of errands. Today I completed the Legs and Back dvd from the P90X program.

Jam: I hate the furloughs too but I have adjusted pretty well and try to use those days to get a lot accomplished.
  • jennblack23
    Options
    brendansmom1- congrats on the 14 lbs!!..keep up the good work :) ..i'm excited for my first weigh in on monday, but also nervous, i just hope i lose weight..i don't care if it's water weight, as long as the number goes down..LOL..anyway it's funny, we have similar weights and goals..hopefully we can both do it :)
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    brendansmom1- congrats on the 14 lbs!!..keep up the good work :) ..i'm excited for my first weigh in on monday, but also nervous, i just hope i lose weight..i don't care if it's water weight, as long as the number goes down..LOL..anyway it's funny, we have similar weights and goals..hopefully we can both do it :)

Oh we will... there is no "hopefully". I am bound and determined. Now, someone copy this and save it for when I need encouragement and I am threatening to give up. LOL :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    emoticon-animal-030.gif

This has been another great day----dog walking and yoga before breakfast then line dancing---later some work in the yard, a walk at the dog park and some time on the exercise bike and now early to bed.
    :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:

emoticon-animal-011.gif
  • jam0525
    Options
    Brendansmom - Fourteen pounds loss is great! If you can do that you can do anything. Changing the way you eat and the way you exercise and the way you live takes time.

Jenn & Brendansmom - Both of you ladies have an extra hard journey due to the diabetes. There is a lot of support here in MFP in general and here in our little group. It takes time. While some things are constant in weight loss a lot of it is personal choices on what works for you.

On starting exercise- My only real advice is to start off slowly with small goals and to be consistent in the number of days you exercise. Before you buy any exercise DVDs you can try them by renting them locally or through Netflix. Everyone here at MFP is always ready to give an opinion, so if you are considering a certain DVD post a comment to see if any one else has used it or has had success with it. There are some very popular ones that seem to work for everyone who uses them.

On food- MFP has some recipe threads. You can search through to find one or post and ask if there is one for what ever you are looking for.

I had a rough week that was very stressful with a lot of little things. But, today is Saturday and all of it is behind me. I did over eat from picking a little here and there due to stress, but I weighed in at my same weight. I am grateful there was no bounce up. I'm going to really focus on getting the picking under control. It's not a habit I want to relearn.

Have a great day all,

JAM
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Today is another ladies day out event. My girlfriends and I are heading to a winery in order to have a tour and see how wine is produced. Once the tour is complete we're able to taste five different wines. Im unsure if we're going to dinner afterwards so I play that part of the day by ear. Anyway, I've never been to a winery so I'm really excited to take this tour. Since I knew I would be wine tasting today I hit the gym REAL HARD this morning. I completed 35 minutes on the elliptical and 47 minutes in a kickboxing class.
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Brendansmom - Fourteen pounds loss is great! If you can do that you can do anything. Changing the way you eat and the way you exercise and the way you live takes time.

Jenn & Brendansmom - Both of you ladies have an extra hard journey due to the diabetes. There is a lot of support here in MFP in general and here in our little group. It takes time. While some things are constant in weight loss a lot of it is personal choices on what works for you.

On starting exercise- My only real advice is to start off slowly with small goals and to be consistent in the number of days you exercise. Before you buy any exercise DVDs you can try them by renting them locally or through Netflix. Everyone here at MFP is always ready to give an opinion, so if you are considering a certain DVD post a comment to see if any one else has used it or has had success with it. There are some very popular ones that seem to work for everyone who uses them.

On food- MFP has some recipe threads. You can search through to find one or post and ask if there is one for what ever you are looking for.

I had a rough week that was very stressful with a lot of little things. But, today is Saturday and all of it is behind me. I did over eat from picking a little here and there due to stress, but I weighed in at my same weight. I am grateful there was no bounce up. I'm going to really focus on getting the picking under control. It's not a habit I want to relearn.

Have a great day all,

JAM

Hope you have a less stressful week this coming one, Jam.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Today is another ladies day out event. My girlfriends and I are heading to a winery in order to have a tour and see how wine is produced. Once the tour is complete we're able to taste five different wines. Im unsure if we're going to dinner afterwards so I play that part of the day by ear. Anyway, I've never been to a winery so I'm really excited to take this tour. Since I knew I would be wine tasting today I hit the gym REAL HARD this morning. I completed 35 minutes on the elliptical and 47 minutes in a kickboxing class.

Wine is made by putting grapes into a large round vat and having all your grandchildren strip to their undies and smash the grapes with their feet while singing and throwing grapes at each other. This makes for very good wine unless the grandmother and aunts come home to purple children (this grandfather made red wine) with purple everywhere. In that case the grapes are put through a mill to get them smashed up enough and the grandfather is in the dog house along with the uncles who witnessed, but did nothing to put an end to the spectacle.

Some say the grandfather and uncles where just letting us kids have fun and see what it is like to really be Italian. Others say the grandfather and uncles tasted too much of the last batch of wine to have made good choices on that day. Either way it is a wonderful memory for all of us who where there on that blessed day.

JAM
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Blackmamba- Do you have a Walmart near you? They sell under armor in the men's department that will help you stay warm while walking outdoors. My DD and I buy them. They look just like the women's ones in sports stores just a lot cheaper. Also, I have a Wii and exercise DVD's that I use when I can't get out. We also picked up a used stationary bike on Craig's List after DD's hip surgery last March. Good luck finding something you like to do for exercise. Jeannie

I actually have all kinds of under armor already. It helps but not enough. LOL I go outside dressed like an eskimo with a heated vest and I'm still freezing. I want a treadmill but don't have the $$ to get one. I have an elliptical (got it for free!)... it's ok but I'd so much rather have the treadmill. My biggest problem is laziness. I get off my butt and do great for a week and then nothing for months.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Good morning,

I've already did 30 minutes on the stationary bike this morning. I plan to do another half hour later. This is a weights day too. It feels good to already have some exercise under my belt.

Last night I took DD and her BF to the Samurai Sushi and grill. Both girls turn 16 this week. It was a lot of fun. I skipped the sushi and only ate half of what they gave me. I took the rest home for lunch one day this week.

It is getting cold here. We need to light the wood burning stove today to get this house warmed up.

We can do this ladies!

JAM
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! I had a fun-filled weekend and I'm really looking forward to chilling out and watching some football today. I got up early this morning and got my workout in. I completed 2 miles of the Leslie Sansone Fat Burning Walk dvd. Once the workout was complete, I got dressed and headed to the grocery store. Now that all my errands have been completed I don't have to leave the house for the rest of the day.

Jam: Great job w/having some exercise under the belt aleady. It is a great feeling. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself yesterday spending time with your DD and her BF. Quality time is priceless.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I went to a bridal shower today and enjoyed the fun (I won both the unscramble the words game and the game of complete the quote about love but I took only one prize) :bigsmile: I did well with the food and ate veggies with salsa and only four mini spinach quiches and skipped the brownies and punch that probably had about a month's worth of sugar.

:flowerforyou: blackmamba---a good exercise DVD to start with would be any of the Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home"---you could start with just walking one mile at a time and build up to longer walks

:flowerforyou: Choco, the wine tasting sounds like fun.....I used to live in Northern California where there are a lot of wineries

:flowerforyou: JAM, you are so great at finding enjoyment in everything you do...that is such a valuable asset.

:flowerforyou: we went to a big turkey dinner potluck last night and I ate too much turkey, stuffing, and potatoes, but stayed away from the desserts.....fortunately I'd exercised a lot during the day and eaten smart earlier so the damage wasn't too bad and today I am eating really smart...and getting exercise walking the dogs, working in the yard, and riding the exercise bike
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! I did not really feel like exercising today. I think TOM is lurking so I just dont have any energy. Anyway, I managed to convince myself to get up and get moving and 30 minutes later the workout was complete. Today I completed the Cardio-week 1 dvd from the Kettleworx series.
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sounds like y'all are all doing great. Glad to see it. I've been doing well myself and got some more good news today from the doc.

While my heart will probably never completely heal, it is well enough that I can do whatever exercise I wish. Might not be able to do as much as I want, but I can do it, which is something I haven't been able to do the last 6 months or so.

Still having trouble with my renal tubular acidosis. I'll most likely be put on a medication for it the next time I go to the doc. We were hoping my BP med would fix the problem, but it's not.

My total cholesterol was 3 points high and my LDL cholesterol is 40 points high, but my triglycerides were down from 256 to 102, which is good, and my HDL went up from 35 to 46, which is also good.

The best thing of all was that my A1C was 4.4! That's in the normal range. This has been my goal for a while and I'm so glad I reached it. I just wish the lower carbs that made my A1C better had made me lose weight too...lol

I was excited that my CBC numbers were all back in the normal range, along with my creatinine level. Potassium and sodium were good too, which is good for my heart.

All in all, I'm happy with the results even though everything was perfect. Now that I can do more exercise, I just have to get my knee and hip to cooperate!
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's (mostly) wonderful Angel! Progress and normal ranges are always good!

Had a really bad afternoon yesterday. Went home and all I wanted was to order pizza (I was too drained to cook) and pig out. But I didn't. I had what I had planned for so I'm proud of myself. :drinker: